For the civil discussion of boys and girls cross country and track.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:45 pm

Anything worth noting so far? Seems like Washington boys are going to be pretty good this year - who are the best teams and individuals in the Peoria area this year? Any exciting freshman this year?

runner14
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Re: 2018

Post by runner14 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:21 pm

Metamora vs. Washington boys should be a nice battle in the Mid-Illini this year. Both teams return 6 of their top 7 from last season. Metamora would have certainly beat Washington at sectionals last year had Adam Glaub raced, and they seem to have the better overall depth, so I'd give the edge to them. But the season hasn't even really started so obviously anything can happen! I'm not sure what freshman are coming in this year and they can always shake things up. Adam Glaub should have a decent chance at the 2A state individual title this year. Elmwood lost 3 of their top 4 from last year's 1A state title team, but they do return the rest of their top 7.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:58 am

Mid Illini girls will be wide open with 3-4 teams having a legit shot at it.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

oftenrunning52
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:26 pm

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:58 am
Mid Illini girls will be wide open with 3-4 teams having a legit shot at it.
While I agree that this might be the deepest girls field in the Mid-Illini ever, I still think it probably comes down to two teams: Washington and Dunlap. Morton, Pekin, Metamora, and Canton are all good and the battle for third will be a close one. EP and Limestone will battle for seventh.
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012-2018 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:15 pm

I can't remember 5-10 years ago so I could be wrong, but it seems that Washington has really upgraded their boys/girls cross country program the last few years

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:14 am

CIS wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:15 pm
I can't remember 5-10 years ago so I could be wrong, but it seems that Washington has really upgraded their boys/girls cross country program the last few years
I think starting the grade school cross country programs have helped them get kids involved earlier. Also, the district growth a few years ago didn't hurt either.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

Fartlek

Post by Fartlek » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 am

The mid-Illini should be much more competitive than in years past.

On the boys side, it looks like a Washington-Metamora matchup for the championship. Washington boys are deep, but they’ll have to get a few guys up front to offset Glaub’s low-stick points. Based on the pre-conference, Washington definitely has the advantage at this point, considering Glaub has not run in a few weeks, could be something serious. Dunlap/Pekin battling for third. Dunlap doesn’t seem to have any front runners, though they have a great pack, while Pekin’s Blackwell should finish top 3.

On the girls side, Dunlap/Washington/Morton should be very close if the pre-conference meet says anything. Dunlap’s top runner Johnson has been out for awhile, but should she return, I’d give them the edge. Morton’s Gordon is the clear individual favorite, but their 4&5 runners need to move up in order to challenge at all. Washington is super solid all around, they could win if they have a good day.

The local 2A boy’s sectional is wide open this year with the departure of UHigh and Normal West to 3A, and Mahomet-Seymour being on a down year. At this point, I’d predict:
1) Bloomington
2)Washington
3) Mahomet
4) Metamora
5) PND
6-8) Galesburg, Dunlap, Morton

On the girls side:
1) UHigh
2)Dunlap
3) Washington
4)Morton
5)Geneseo

oftenrunning52

Post by oftenrunning52 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:25 am

Fartlek wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 am
The mid-Illini should be much more competitive than in years past.

On the boys side, it looks like a Washington-Metamora matchup for the championship. Washington boys are deep, but they’ll have to get a few guys up front to offset Glaub’s low-stick points. Based on the pre-conference, Washington definitely has the advantage at this point, considering Glaub has not run in a few weeks, could be something serious. Dunlap/Pekin battling for third. Dunlap doesn’t seem to have any front runners, though they have a great pack, while Pekin’s Blackwell should finish top 3.

On the girls side, Dunlap/Washington/Morton should be very close if the pre-conference meet says anything. Dunlap’s top runner Johnson has been out for awhile, but should she return, I’d give them the edge. Morton’s Gordon is the clear individual favorite, but their 4&5 runners need to move up in order to challenge at all. Washington is super solid all around, they could win if they have a good day.

The local 2A boy’s sectional is wide open this year with the departure of UHigh and Normal West to 3A, and Mahomet-Seymour being on a down year. At this point, I’d predict:
1) Bloomington
2)Washington
3) Mahomet
4) Metamora
5) PND
6-8) Galesburg, Dunlap, Morton

On the girls side:
1) UHigh
2)Dunlap
3) Washington
4)Morton
5)Geneseo
On the boys' side, how long is Glaub out? Without him, they can't challenge Washington. And with him, it'll be a close battle. Dunlap is better than Galesburg in the sectional.

On the girls' side, add Metamora to the mix. They have developed a great pack approach to racing. That pack will be the difference between them and Morton when you get to a field the size of the sectional.
Dunlap Eagles

MadHatter555
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MadHatter555 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:06 pm

CIS wrote:
My daughter was in 8th grade when Washington Middle School added Cross Country in 2009. The high school team was able to qualify for state all 4 years she was there, and the team has just grown stronger and stronger. Including my daughter, several girls have gone on to run in college. Coach Walcott has done an excellent job, and success has bred success. No question that with both WMS and Central now competing at the grade school level, the kids are showing up at HS ready to compete.
:td

oftenrunning52

Post by oftenrunning52 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:42 am

MadHatter555 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:06 pm
CIS wrote:
My daughter was in 8th grade when Washington Middle School added Cross Country in 2009. The high school team was able to qualify for state all 4 years she was there, and the team has just grown stronger and stronger. Including my daughter, several girls have gone on to run in college. Coach Walcott has done an excellent job, and success has bred success. No question that with both WMS and Central now competing at the grade school level, the kids are showing up at HS ready to compete.
Basic formula to success: early exposure to the sport + participation numbers + quality coaching
At one time, you could expose kids to cross country when they arrived at the high school and build them over four years. I never ran a cross country race until my freshman year, but we had 100 kids on the team and a coaching staff that was experienced and dedicated. Anymore, you better have a middle school program, preferably with some coaches who know what they are doing, to be successful at the high school level. Washington is seeing the benefits of the middle school programs.
Dunlap Eagles