Normal U-High Sectional

For the civil discussion of boys and girls cross country and track.
Runner68
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Normal U-High Sectional

Post by Runner68 »

My predictions:

Girls:
1-Dunlap
2-Washington
3- PND
4- UHigh
5- Morton

Dunlap is clear favorite. They are going to challenge Yorkville for the team title at state. PND could sneak in front of Washington for the 2 spot at the sectional.

Boys:
1-Mahomet-Seymour
2- Metamora
3- UHigh
4- PND
5- Rock Island Alleman

Metamora is running very well right now. I could see a close team battle between them and Mahomet-Seymour. UHigh should battle PND for the 3/4 spot. I can see Alleman sneaking into the 5 spot in front of Danville, Lincoln Way West, and Limestone.

oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: Normal U-High Sectional

Post by oftenrunning52 »

I'll agree with your first three on the girls, which is easy to do, but the other two spots are questionable. Lincoln Way West is running well. Metamora ran the conference meet quite well while Morton did not. UHigh I don't think has the horses this year to make it, even though the sectional will be on a local course for them.

On the boys, I would add Dunlap into the mix, especially if you are going to add Limestone into the mix.
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012-2019 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions

runner14
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by runner14 »

I agree with the five boy's team you have making state, however as much as I would like Metamora to be close to Mahomet, its just not going to happen. Mahomet's top 7 can and have all run under 15:30 this year. This means they will likely be able to put all 7 of their guys in before Metamora's second runner. Mahomet is ranked #1 in 2A right now for a reason. U-High, Metamora, and PND should all battle for 2-4. I'll give the slight nod to U-High right now, but its close. Alleman is my pick for 5th over Dunlap and Danville right now, but this is close as well.
My Top 5 Teams:
1. Mahomet
2. U-High
3. Metamora
4. PND
5. Alleman
First Two Out: Dunlap, Danville
The three main contenders for the individual title are Keeble, Franklin, and Gillum. I think Keeble is the favorite right now with Franklin and Gillum having a close battle for second.
My Top 3 Ind.:
1. Keeble (Mahomet)
2. Franklin (U-High)
3. Gillum (Metamora)

Forum Lurker
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Forum Lurker »

This sectional looks like it may be the toughest to qualify out of in the state. Since I don't follow the girls side of the races quite as much, I don't really want to make predictions on that race. However on the guys side it is looking like it will come down to several teams fighting for the last three qualifying spots. I think that Danville, Dunlap, Lincoln-Way West, Metamora, PND, and Rock Island Alleman will have to battle for those positions.
1. Mahomet Seymour - Obvious choice for winner being the #1 ranked 2A team in the state
2. Normal U-High - Carried by Franklin then with a 2-5 of 45 seconds is tough to beat
3. Metamora - Barely beating out PND by getting well ahead of PND's #5 runner
4. PND - Only judging off of their Regional victory do I believe that they sneak into the #4 position, but they have to get a tighter pack in 3-5 if they want to qualify
5. Dunlap - Flying under the radar all season, not running some top runners in Regionals I believe they upset some teams here with Drew Fick, Chen, and Potts being even tighter than they were in the Mid Illini Conference Meet.

From there my first teams out in my opinion would be:
Lincoln-Way West - They have some strong front runners and a nice 3-5 pack. I'm assuming the regional course they ran at was fairly slow timewise.
Rock Island Alleman - Their 4 and 5 runners will not be enough to get them through in my opinion
Danville - Always thought they got more love than deserved however their 1-5 pack of 45 seconds is impressive.

Runner68
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Runner68 »

I agree with you for the most part Lurker. However, I feel that PND will be close to Metamora for the #3 spot and don't think Dunlap will make it out of the Sectional. They seem to plateau at this meet and for that reason I'd pick Alleman or Lincoln-Way West over them. Between those two, I'd probably pick LWW because Alleman's #4 and #5 runners have been pretty far back.

225guy
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by 225guy »

Danville and dunlap will b in a fight for boys fifth qualifier in my eyes. On paper Danville 15:23-1545-15:56-16:10-1635 at detweiller. There coach todd orvis is a very good coach too! So edge goes to danville.

Forum Lurker
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Forum Lurker »

I think Lincoln Way West would be the only team that could knock Dunlap out of my predictions. Had Dunlap ran their true top 5 they would have beaten Alleman and would be within points of PND.

I would say that Dunlap "plateaus" at this part of the year is a harsh statement. If you look at past results, in 2013 they qualified out of sectionals in 3rd place and in 2014 missed the 5th qualifying spot by 18 points. Year in and out they are always in the battle.

runner14
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by runner14 »

After regionals, my top 4 teams remain the same, with Mahomet still the favorite. I now believe U-High has established itself as a more solid favorite for second ahead of Metamora and Notre Dame. The key for Metamora to try to challenge U-High and ensure they beat Notre Dame is John Crotteau. He seems to have struggled the majority of the year (maybe due to injuries/illness), they need him to run like he did at conference. The real battle is for 5th, the final qualifying spot. Alleman wasn't as impressive at regionals as I was expecting. It appears wide open between Danville, Dunlap, Alleman, Lincoln Way West, and maybe Geneseo (if we include Alleman we should include Geneseo, they were close at regionals). I'll go with Danville right now. Danville was a little closer to Metamora at regionals than Dunlap was at the conference meet, which is the only time Dunlap has ran at nearly full strength this year. Dunlap is my first team out right now. Although I'm not sure about Lincoln Way West, the only results I've looked at for them are their win at the weaker regional, which doesn't tell me much. It looks like Franklin and Keeble will battle for the Individual title. I'll go with Keeble just because he only lost to Franklin once this year (regionals). He was consistently beating him the rest of the season. Gillum shouldn't be too far behind in third.

tincup1215
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by tincup1215 »

This sectional looks like it may be the toughest to qualify out of in the state.
That would be Woodstock North, followed by the U-High Sectional
Buster of Chops

illinoisdad
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by illinoisdad »

congratulations to Dunlap on their solid team victory, and to Notre Dame for pushing past Washington and being a reasonably competitive second place. Looks like Maryjeanne won by around 1:20 despite lousy conditions. Hopefully better weather for state.

ATGGuy
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by ATGGuy »

Girls Results
Individual Champ: Maryjeanne Gilbert (Sr.) Peoria (Notre Dame) 16:52

1 Dunlap 45
2 Peoria (Notre Dame) 81
3 Washington 99
4 Morton 156
5 Mahomet (M.-Seymour) 174

6 Metamora 198
7 New Lenox (Lincoln-Way West) 199
8 Normal (University) 206
9 Geneseo 256
10 LaSalle (L.-Peru) 298
11 Canton 327
12 Lansing (Illiana Christian) 349

Boys Results
Individual Champion: Jack Franklin (Jr.) Normal (University) 15:13

1 Mahomet (M.-Seymour) 65
2 Normal (University) 108
3 Peoria (Notre Dame) 128
4 Metamora 132
5 Danville (H.S.) 185

6 New Lenox (Lincoln-Way West) 194
7 Rock Island (Alleman) 202
8 Normal (Community West) 217
9 Bartonville (Limestone) 220
10 Geneseo 242
11 Dunlap 245
12 LaSalle (L.-Peru) 273

225guy

Post by 225guy »

Danville guys got final spot on guys side. Surprised uhigh guy won though, just wondering if Keebler just saving himself for state the last two weeks. MJ just ran 16:52, considering today's conditions very good time. Dunlap ran great thought meme shanahan ran outstanding today. State should be crazy. Sad I won't be there bc vacation. :pale

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

Forum Lurker wrote:I think Lincoln Way West would be the only team that could knock Dunlap out of my predictions. Had Dunlap ran their true top 5 they would have beaten Alleman and would be within points of PND.

I would say that Dunlap "plateaus" at this part of the year is a harsh statement. If you look at past results, in 2013 they qualified out of sectionals in 3rd place and in 2014 missed the 5th qualifying spot by 18 points. Year in and out they are always in the battle.
I think the Dunlap assessment was fair. They didn't run to their potential at sectional in 2012 after winning conference and were 11th today. I didn't expect them to qualify today, but thought more 7-8 as opposed to 11th. I don't know if they are over training in the summer or early season, but they do seem to peak earlier as opposed to later.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

225guy

Post by 225guy »

Unfair statement about boys team this year. They been hurt all season never full strength except conference.even Carson Potts only second race of year. If healthy a 1530/1540 prolly. The summer program is very well organized adding mileage slowly

Runner68
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Runner68 »

I spoke with a Dunlap parent after the sectional race and now think that the Dunlap team is over trained. She was concerned because her son was doing some sort of workout usually every day in the week. No recovery runs, and they didn't back off until last week. Coach Jones does a great job prepping his runners for the meets that matter, which is why Metamora is a constant state qualifier.

225guy

Post by 225guy »

Most parents don't know anything about running. If u tell someone 35 miles to 45 per week is over training then they r not educated. Dunlap runs only 40 per week. As for speed not true they could actually do more. Dunlap top five jogged 6 very easy instead of regionals if a speed team chris would of had them do speed workout but he didnt. Notre dame runs 50 to 70 miles a week. Maybe most girls 40 to 50 if they don't skip Sundays on your own pracrice. Do they over train? I say no. I ran grade schoolers 30 to 35 during xc never any injuries.

Forum Lurker
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Forum Lurker »

I agree with 225guy, the legs are a lot stronger and able to finish that last mile with that amount of mileage. Obviously Dunlap's race didn't turn out how they wanted. Daniel Chen was #3 (has been #2) for the team and didn't run at Regionals so may have picked up a minor injury at some point. Plus Carson Potts was just hitting some good form by the time this race came.

helgemr
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by helgemr »

Dunlap guys and girls do the same training - slightly more miles for guys but that would be normal. No way the guys are overtrained if the girls seem fine. Talent just isn't as deep on the guys side so everyone has to have a perfect race for them to perform well. Just didn't happen on this day.
Never eat pizza before you run!