Whats going on?

For the civil discussion of boys and girls soccer.
O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Whats going on?

Post by O&B 78 »

There is no soccer talk this year not even PND fans or soccerforever
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Whats going on?

Post by CIS »

Well that's also true for cross-country - usually there is some chatter but I don't think there's been a post in two weeks or so. But even in football it seems the herd has been thinned somewhat - the small school side seems really down but so does the large school...I would surmise that there simply isn't as many people using/posting on the boards as years ago. Maybe the boards has kind of run it course - still viable with many die-hards posting and lurkers looking but not quite what it once was.

soccerSD
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by soccerSD »

I can only make an educated and experienced guess, but I would say anytime someone posts and it doesn't align with what has been said, that poster is immediately chastised and called every name in the book that you can get away with on the forums. Posters seem to forget that forums are mostly opinions, backed up by only the facts that help that particular opinion, and God help anyone that posts a contrary fact or opinion.

Soccer101
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Soccer101 »

What's going on? Morton's soccer program is dying, Washington and Dunlap will battle for #1 position in Mid-Illini for a few years with the young kids on each team, Peoria Notre Dame has arguably one of the best senior classes in the state, will be interesting to see them next year.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

The demise of the Morton soccer program started in the last year or two when they lost their long time feeder program, Morton Blaze. There was an apparent issue with the lack of the number Morton residents playing in the program, as per by bylaws that were written several years ago. Therefore, the Park District would not allow the Morton Blaze to use their facilities for free. Instead of compromise, stubbornness prevailed. The team is now the Blaze and no longer in Morton. Also gone are the two large weekend tourneys that brought in many teams and tourists to Morton.
go cubs go!

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

O&B 78 wrote:There is no soccer talk this year not even PND fans or soccerforever
I am changing positions at my current job and have not had time to catch many games. Usually by now I would of seen the majority of the Washington games and at least half the Morton games and a couple ND games. This always allowed me to see every team in the area a few times. I am very happy with the program Coach Brooks has built over the years in Washington. He is a great guy who in 9 years has built the program from a laughing stock to a contender. I will have to go back and look but I believe they won 3 games when my son was a Freshman there.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

Here is the seeds for the Regional. Washington will be hosting the Sectional.

Sub-Sectional A

#1. Peoria (Notre Dame)

2. Washington

3. Morton

4. Metamora

5. Peoria (H.S.)

6. Peoria (Richwoods)

#7. East Peoria

8. Bartonville (Limestone)

9. Canton

10. Peoria (Manual)

Sub-Sectional B

1. Geneseo

2. Dunlap

#3. Orion [Coop]

4. Streator (Twp.) [Coop]

5. Chillicothe (Illinois Valley Central)

6. Morris

7. Ottawa (Twp.)

8. Roanoke (R.-Benson) [Coop]

9. Galesburg (H.S.)

#10. LaSalle (L.-Peru)
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

FutbolFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by FutbolFan »

ND wins the A bracket at the Gateway Classic this weekend. The team is playing great and has a record of 13-0-3. I know that national rankings are pretty subjective, but being ranked 10 in the nation by TopDrawer and 5th by NSCAA is pretty impressive. I've seen Morton play about 5 times this year and at times they look pretty darn good. Saw them play at the Gateway one game this weekend and they did a pretty good job against a quality Collinsville squard for about 55 minutes before the wheels came off the bus as they lost 5-0. Up to the point where the wheels came off the were only down 1-0. I think they have the potential to surprise a few people before this year is over. Guess we'll see when they play Washington what team shows up. Hope the board gets a little more interesting as this years soccer season is coming to a close really fast.

STL
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by STL »

Soccer101 wrote:What's going on? Morton's soccer program is dying, Washington and Dunlap will battle for #1 position in Mid-Illini for a few years with the young kids on each team, Peoria Notre Dame has arguably one of the best senior classes in the state, will be interesting to see them next year.
PND soccer has become arguably one of the better programs of any sport in the state. Every year they are a viable state champion candidate and every 2-3 years they have one of the best teams in the country. And it's been done for a number of years and with good kids and a good coach. This year's team looks to be a little above the 2012 team but not quite as good as the 2010 team. We shall see...

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

STL wrote:
Soccer101 wrote:What's going on? Morton's soccer program is dying, Washington and Dunlap will battle for #1 position in Mid-Illini for a few years with the young kids on each team, Peoria Notre Dame has arguably one of the best senior classes in the state, will be interesting to see them next year.
PND soccer has become arguably one of the better programs of any sport in the state. Every year they are a viable state champion candidate and every 2-3 years they have one of the best teams in the country. And it's been done for a number of years and with good kids and a good coach. This year's team looks to be a little above the 2012 team but not quite as good as the 2010 team. We shall see...
The 2011 team was pretty **** good.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerSD
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by soccerSD »

I'll join the fray. I suppose I'm showing my age but I seem to remember some pretty darn good Notre Dame soccer teams, before there was facebook and subjective national and regional rankings. I seem to remember a state championship team in 2004 with only 2 state champs crowned each year along with many state appearances when there was only 2 classes. Imo, these teams could play with any of these more recent teams. I'm not saying they aren't good, but memories seem to be short. And before you start saying this team would easily beat that team, you cannot ever prove it, and it doesn't matter. Just wanted to give some respect to the teams that laid the groundwork without near as much hoopla as there is now with social media.

FutbolFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by FutbolFan »

Your right in saying we will never know who would have beat who. But, one thing that is for sure is that the ND teams in the last 8 years or so have upped their schedule to a degree that may be one of the toughest in the nation year after year. Almost every non conference game is against a Illinois 3A school or powerhouses out of St. Louis. Playing perrenial State champs like Milwaukee Jesuit from Wisconsin are just one of the teams that have been added to their schedule.

BallBender
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by BallBender »

The Irish once again appear to be set to run the table in the IHSA trnm - The success penalty for privates is on the verge of making 2A a joke, with 3A Boylan being some competition this year in 2A. Should go back to just 2 classes for men's soccer.

What's happened to all the large public schools in the area? Back in the day (not that many years ago) there were some intense rivalry games with Morton, Richwoods, Dunlap, Metamora and PND. Now it's just PND...by a lot.

PS: Stopped posting here since whenever anything got the least bit controversial (but well within the guidelines) I and others got censored. See ya...

soccerSD
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by soccerSD »

I agree on the class system. Should be only two in soccer. Class A is a joke and AA being nearly one also. This class thing in sports is really my hot button. Eight classes in football...really? Should be 4. Two in basketball, two in track and so on. Make winning a state title mean something..for that matter make winning a regional or sectional mean something , which they barely do now. Can anyone name a state champ from last year in any sport, if you aren't a participant, parent or relative , and probably only half of the students in that school even know. Everyone gets a trophy. Showing my age again, but back in the day the only team or individual that got a trophy was the winner, not the "finalist" or runner up or anyone else. Those "winning" only trophies are more valuable now than ever, because they represent winning only, and beating everyone. I will end my rant with this, I didn't get to partake in many trophies, though we gave our best efforts and "participated" as hard as we could, but we lost. That losing and being only rewarded with the knowledge that I gave my everything, was the best education I ever got. We had some pretty good teams as well as individuals, and we all have made it through life without dozens of trophies and state championships pretty well, as contributing members of society. I feel so much better now!!!

FutbolFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by FutbolFan »

I agree that there are too many classes in the playoffs for most sports. But, the IHSA will not reduce them as they are the money makers for them. If ND makes it to the final four this year, which they should, then the three best high school 2A soccer progams in the State, ND along with 'Wheaton Academy and St. Viator will all be in 3A next year. I guess that will give one of the public schools a chance to win a State title and I hope whoever it is comes from the Central Illinois area.

Lefty
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Lefty »

Well I will join in and congratulate Peoria Christian with their regional championship win over nationally ranked Normal U High 3-2 Friday night

FutbolFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by FutbolFan »

While were congratulating people, I give Morton credit for playing a great game against Washington. I hope we get to see a ND-Morton game in the sectional final since we no longer have them playing in the regular season.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 »

FutbolFan wrote:Your right in saying we will never know who would have beat who. But, one thing that is for sure is that the ND teams in the last 8 years or so have upped their schedule to a degree that may be one of the toughest in the nation year after year. Almost every non conference game is against a Illinois 3A school or powerhouses out of St. Louis. Playing perrenial State champs like Milwaukee Jesuit from Wisconsin are just one of the teams that have been added to their schedule.
The scheduling started over 10 years ago when ND beat Chaminade in St. Louis when Chaminade was the #1 team in the country and had some ridiculously long home winning streak. It has just continued to grow and success breeds success.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

PH
All Universe
All Universe

Post by PH »

Congrats to the PCS Chargers for a great season, but they lost in the super sectional game 2-3 in a wet game at Eastside (E Peoria's football stadium, not the PCS home field) to a Rockford team.

FutbolFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by FutbolFan »

ND keeps on rolling towards its 5th state championship with a big win over Wheaton St. Francis. Wheaton packed it in with 10 behind the ball and played the only game they had a chance to win with which almost worked. ND will be in 3A the next two years which will give another local team a chance to make it to state next year and that ain't all bad. Good luck to ND and bring home the GOLD!

LarryBird
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by LarryBird »

ND wins 4-0 and moves on to the finals.
The critic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
-- Oscar Wilde

BallBender
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by BallBender »

WHS goals at 1:43 and 1:48? What the heck?

soccerfan15

Post by soccerfan15 »

I'm fairly new to this but why wasn't there any talk about PND losing in the state championship? I'm just now wondering because a friend of mine recently brought it up at work. They had a huge senior class, many of whom will be playing college soccer next year. From what I saw and heard of the team all year was that very few teams in the state could hang with them, let alone beat them. What happens to the program now that they lose almost their entire starting lineup?

soccerSD
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by soccerSD »

This answer is my opinion alone..so all of you can't say anything negative about PND soccer...back off. Notre Dame will reload and be the class of the region and most likely the state again, as always. The parochial and travel teams serve as excellent feeder systems to the team with almost all players coming in, well coached and ready to go, the instant they hit the field at Notre Dame. IMO the present coaching regime, while doing an excellent job at upgrading the schedule, is more focused on cheerleading and promoting, than coaching. While high school rankings are nice, they are very very subjective at best as they are conjecture, favoritism and based on what you did last year. No one can possibly be up on every high school program and rank it correctly. As the season progresses and records build then it can be a bit more accurate, but then it is still an educated guess. I think PND went into last years tournament overconfident. The program seems to be all about rankings, and who is playing division 1 and who is recruiting who and seems to be less focused on building character and humility. Links to the past program before 2006 is totally ignored. I believe it was the 2003 team beat a then undefeated and nationally ranked 2-3time straight Missouri state champion Chaminade, but is never mentioned, and winning the state in 2004 is an afterthought, and what athletes have accomplished before 2006 aren't as important as what has happened after .
I am a Peoria Notre Dame fan, however I wish they would focus more on the field and less on rankings and the hoopla. We all know they are the best, pretty much have been since soccer began at the school and I don't see that changing. The program is where it is because of all that came before.

FutbolFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by FutbolFan »

It's amazing that someone would question the coaching ability that is at ND now. Yes, the ND teams of the past were awful good and should get their due. But the success that the present coaching staff has had with three state titles are without equal not to mention two second place finishes along with a third and a fourth finish. Not sure where you get the idea that the coaching staff is just a bunch of cheerleaders, but many ND players that are now playing in college have said that the ND coaches are the best they have ever had. Obviously, i too am a PND fan and look forward to next season to see how the Irish do in 3A. Maybe this post will get the blood flowing on some of the ND haters out there and some really good posts, lol.