PA school bans heading

For the civil discussion of boys and girls soccer.
GBfan
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

PA school bans heading

Post by GBfan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:07 am

Anyone hear this yet?? http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/hi ... story.html

A town in Pennsylvania is banning heading soccer balls for their middle school soccer teams. With the rise in concern for concussions, the school board thought this would help the issue. I like that they are making efforts to keep their students/players safe, but I really don't think this is the best option. If these students want to become college players or even professional, heading the ball is a necessary skill to have and use...I feel as if they are taking away from their potential abilities which hinders them as a player rather than protecting them. Anyone else think the ruling will harm them?

salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Re: PA school bans heading

Post by salz4life » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:11 am

I haven't read the article.... but is their any medical proof of an increase in concussion or other head injuries from heading the ball in soccer? Now, maybe they are concerned with head-to-head bumps which could cause these issues, but that can happen in many different situations. I wouldn't think actually heading a ball in soccer would cause concussions unless the ball was kicked from VERY close range into someone's head.
"The Pack Leader"

GBfan
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by GBfan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:14 am

It states that "mounting evidence suggesting heading can cause lasting brain damage, particularly in children ages 14 and younger."

salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:06 pm

GBfan wrote:It states that "mounting evidence suggesting heading can cause lasting brain damage, particularly in children ages 14 and younger."
Interesting... I have never heard of that until now.
"The Pack Leader"

EaglesFly
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by EaglesFly » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:50 pm

It won't stop them from headers in club soccer - where they would most likely be scouted (if they were to play college or professional).
Girl, I CAME UP with the idea of the GBG roast.

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:51 am

EaglesFly wrote:It won't stop them from headers in club soccer - where they would most likely be scouted (if they were to play college or professional).
Agree
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

irishfan12
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by irishfan12 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:49 pm

ESPN did a story earlier this year about a lifelong soccer player who was diagnosed with ALS in his late 20s and died at age 29 - and medical evidence that suggested a link between the ALS and head trauma suffered through several concussions and years of heading ball in his soccer career. SI also covered the issue:

http://www.si.com/si-wire/2014/02/26/de ... -brain-cte

Not sure how conclusive any of the evidence is at this point, but it appears they are establishing a link between heading the ball over a lengthy career and trauma to the brain.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:24 am

Well that's it - I'm not going to let my grandkids play soccer - just football! :td