Top teams/individuals

For the civil discussion of boys and girls golf.
Josh Herman
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Top teams/individuals

Post by Josh Herman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:32 pm

I was wondering what all of you thought about the upcoming high school boys golf season. I've come up with a list of top teams and individuals throughout the area that will run in Sunday's Journal Star, but I figured I'd give you a little preview of all that here first.

For my top teams, I think El Paso-Gridley is the clear favorite throughout the small-school scene, returning five of its top six from a team that finished second at 1A state last year. Two teams that haven't won a conference title in a while - Dunlap and East Peoria - will be favorites in the Mid-Illini, while Morton and Pekin should also contend. Notre Dame is once again the favorite in the Mid-State 6, even after losing a hefty portion of its roster from last year.

The "top individuals" was the tough part as it was hard to cut it down to just 5-10 like I was instructed to do. There are the no-brainers - reigning POY Matt Lavery (sr., Dunlap), 2011 POY Trevor Gold (jr., Eureka), and reigning Mid-Illini individual champion Trey Tussey (so., Metamora). Beyond that, I felt that Dan Bredernitz (sr., Limestone), Drake Bushong (jr., Pekin), Devon Liberty (jr., Dunlap), Nate McMillin (sr., Notre Dame), Pat Mercer (sr., Notre Dame), Branden Mounce (jr., El Paso-Gridley), Michael Mounce (jr., El Paso-Gridley), David Perkins (so., East Peoria), Chase Picken (jr., Midwest Central), Jake Plummer (jr., East Peoria), Tyler Sheppard (sr., East Peoria), and Jackson Wetherbee (jr., Galesburg) all deserved a mention. Unfortunately, I had to cut that list down.

Thoughts?

aces45
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Re: Top teams/individuals

Post by aces45 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:25 pm

In the LTC keep an eye on freshman Jack Bumann for Ridgewood.

aces45
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Re: Top teams/individuals

Post by aces45 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Looks like I was right when the season started. Freshman Jack Buman qualified for state for Ridgewood. Good luck Jack!