Might THIS be the year of the RAIDER?

For the civil discussion of boys and girls golf.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Might THIS be the year of the RAIDER?

Post by CIS » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Might East Peoria win the MI conference this year? I know that Dunlap will the be right there while Pekin seems destined for third place. When was the last time East Peoria won conference in golf?

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Might THIS be the year of the RAIDER?

Post by O&B 78 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:01 pm

Is the Shepherd kid at EP the son of Tim Shepherd that plays in all the big adult tourneys? I know Tim is a EP guy or at least was.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:08 am

Have to revise things a bit since Pekin upset Dunlap last night to create THREE way tie for first. I still think East Peoria wins the conference tourney and conference. They have been really playing well of late but who knows? All three teams have chance and one team might have hot day while other team might be off....

Josh Herman
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Josh Herman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:41 pm

It should be one of the craziest M-I Conference tournaments we've seen in awhile, and we've had some good ones. I'm looking to research the "first conference title for EP" thing tonight when I get into work. They had a couple of 12 win seasons in the late 90's early 00's.

Dunlap came into the year as a slight favorite because of its firepower up at the top of its lineup with Devon Liberty and reigning Journal Star Player of the Year Matt Lavery, but East Peoria and Pekin showed that there's really not much difference between the three teams.

The competition for individual medalist should be a great one, too, with Lavery, Liberty, Pekin's Drake Bushong, Metamora's Trey Tussey (who won it last year as a freshman!), any of East Peoria's big-3 (David Perkins, Jake Plummer, Tyler Sheppard), Morton's Trevor Tompkins or Pete Kuhl, and Limestone's Dan Bredernitz. That's a lot of names that could all post a great round out at Weaver.

As for Sheppard, yes, he's the son of one of the area's top amateur golfers, Tim Sheppard.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:44 pm

Josh Herman wrote: As for Sheppard, yes, he's the son of one of the area's top amateur golfers, Tim Sheppard.
That explains a lot :lol:
Thanks
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

Josh Herman
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Josh Herman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:45 pm

By the way, East Peoria won its only boys golf conference title (in any conference) in 1989, winning the Mid-Illini. The Raiders won the conference tournament in 1997 and 1998, but didn't have enough dual meet points to win the overall title. They did finish second overall in 2001.

I'm currently putting together an entire list of Mid-Illini and Mid-State 6 champions that I'm hoping to get done soon and share on the Preps Plus blog. Right now I'm through 1982 in the M-I and 1983 in the M-S6.