Boys golf POY?

For the civil discussion of boys and girls golf.
Redbirdfn

Boys golf POY?

Post by Redbirdfn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:44 am

I loved following high school golf scores this season! The mid-Illini race was awesome because you never knew who was going to come out on top! Now that the season is officially over, Is time to talk about the Player of the Year possibilities. I think it has to come down to four individuals when you look at the entire season: Trevor Gold (Eureka), Matt Lavery (Dunlap), Mike Mounce (ElPaso-Gridly), and Drake Bushong (Pekin). Here is what I know for each golfer and please correct me if I am wrong with any of this:

(alphabetical order)

Bushong: Was very steady throughout the season and then got VERY hot the last few weeks. He won the mid-Illini conf tournament and then won a 3A regional. Made it to state by posting a 76 at Lick. Drake struggled at the State Finals posting a +18 over the two days.

Gold: Not playing in the Mid-Illini, he can easily be looked over. He won the Streator Invite with a 67 early in the season. He also won the Metamora Redbird classic (I believe that was the only time he and Lavery faced each other), the Clinton Invite, the Canton Invite (all mid-Illini schools except Dunlap), and the Corn Belt Conference tournament (Pontiac, U-High, Central Catholic, Olympia....?). He lost to Mounce in the Regional,posting a -1. Had a very strong showing in the State Finals posting a two-day score of +2 and finishing 2nd.

Lavery: Had a fast start by winning two tournaments early. Posted some solid 9-hole scores as well. Struggled a little in the middle of the season and near the end (80 in regionals?). Did not win the conference or Regionals but was second in the sectional. Had a solid showing at the State Finals finishing 7th at +9

Mounce: This kid also had a great season that probably went unnoticed by some. He posted some great 18 hole scores, winning the Heyworth Invite at ISU, the HOI Conference Tournament at ISU with a 67, and shot -4 at the Regional on his home course to beat Gold. At the State Finals he fell off a little, finishing at +12 and in 15th place. He did lead his team to the Class A title.

Going into the weekend, I think any one of these four boys could have claimed the POY honors. Now that it is over, I have to give Trevor Gold the nod. He showed he is a clutch golfer who performs well under pressure. Social media was going crazy yesterday talking about him finishing his last four holes birdie, eagle, birdie, par to get second by one stroke (I'd like to know how close his last birdie putt was!)

Other acknowledgements have to go to:

David Perkins: WOW....what a great job in the state finals!
Ethan Ukin, Trevor Tompkins, Nate McMillan.....all in Top 20 in AA. Great showing!

Tigers02

Re: Boys golf POY?

Post by Tigers02 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:14 pm

I'd have to go with bushong. Lavery would be the next in line. Bushong gets the nod from me since he was cumulative 3 over for the year going into the state finals and ended the year at +21. Gold did have a decent year but never played the competition lavery or bushong played. Head to head bushong beat lavery by 12 shots the two times they met for conference.

bball123
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by bball123 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:06 am

Tough call, it is one of those years where nobody stood out or dare I say that the studs were a little disappointing?? We have some good golfers in the area but for some reason had their slumps thoughout the year.

Josh Herman
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Josh Herman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Unfortunately, I'm the one who has to make this decision. I had a good laugh with both Lavery and Gold about how all they did at state was make my decision incredibly difficult. It's going to be tough, but I'm going to sit down and talk with Wessler and break down each player's pros and cons. Any of the four that were mentioned are definitely deserving.

By the way, Gold said that his putt was 15 feet and he thought it was in the entire way to the hole, but it just missed. I would have loved to have seen it, but I was still over at Weibring at that point.

Boiler_Bomber_Fan
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Boiler_Bomber_Fan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:16 am

When are the boys and girls POY being announced? I don't want to miss it.

Thanks

Josh Herman
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Josh Herman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:38 pm

The Girls GOY is set to run this Tuesday (Nov. 5) and the Boys GOY is set for the following day (Wed., Nov. 6). Obviously, these are all tentative in case something crazy happens in the sports world.

bball123
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by bball123 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:05 am

Player of the year decided on 4 holes?? One could argue its a lot easier to play down the stretch when you think you are out of the tourney, which honestly probably was the case.Great kid but bad logic on PJStar part.

Tigers02

Post by Tigers02 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:03 am

bball123 wrote:Player of the year decided on 4 holes?? One could argue its a lot easier to play down the stretch when you think you are out of the tourney, which honestly probably was the case.Great kid but bad logic on PJStar part.
+1.

Gold wasn't as consistent as bushong or lavery this whole year.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Maybe PJS didn't want to have both golf POY from same high school 8 )

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:49 pm

Actually after reading article on young lad, seems like he earned award - finished second in class A tournament. Congrats to young man...

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:11 pm

In three years Gold has gone from 9th to 4th and now 2nd in the state. Much like tennis, golf is not just a team sport, so overall competition shouldn't make a difference. Very deserving of the award. A player to watch next year is Chase PIcken of Midwest Central. Also qualified for state and had some great individual rounds this year.
go cubs go!