Park District Closing Newman Golf Course

For the civil discussion of boys and girls golf.
Uncle Junior
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Park District Closing Newman Golf Course

Post by Uncle Junior » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:00 pm

WEEK reported yesterday that Newman Golf Course was on the chopping block because of a $1.4 million dollar budget deficit in Park District funds. Goodbye Newman!! Thanks for all the new trails, so happy trails folks...
I do my best thinking on the bus. That's how come I don't drive. I don't want to know how. I don't want to learn. See? The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

bigooze22
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Re: Park District Closing Newman Golf Course

Post by bigooze22 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:30 pm

250k per year rounds to 125k rounds in 10 years for PPD. Season pass price always going up.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:10 pm

I heard that Madison was on the chopping block also. Was told that it was for the same reason, lack of play. Any truth to that? Again, I don't think that the Peoria courses are competitive with their pricing. I can go to a lot of courses nearby and play for $22, some as low as $19 on certain days. That's 18 holes with a cart.
go cubs go!

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Peoria's park district courses are a joke. You see what Bloomington does with their courses and its night and day. Yes season pass price is more expensive, but the condition of the courses is stellar. Would you rather pay more for better courses or pay less for garbage?
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

Uncle Junior

Post by Uncle Junior » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:42 pm

pndbaseball12 wrote:Peoria's park district courses are a joke. You see what Bloomington does with their courses and its night and day. Yes season pass price is more expensive, but the condition of the courses is stellar. Would you rather pay more for better courses or pay less for garbage?
Prairie Vista was a really nice course 10 or more years ago. I played it a couple years ago and the the upkeep was not as good. I think the last two holes were dramatically changed. The last hole was shortened quite a bit.
I do my best thinking on the bus. That's how come I don't drive. I don't want to know how. I don't want to learn. See? The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

Bogeyman
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Bogeyman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:19 am

I can't understand why golf is singled out by the Park District as a program that should be self supporting. I am sure that there are many other programs that also run at a loss but are covered by tax dollars. I am a taxpayer and a season pass holder to the golf courses. One of the reasons I have decided to purchase a pass is the variety of courses that are available for the price. If my choices are reduced going to Pekin or East Peoria or even a membership to Arrowhead, Coyote Creek or Metamora Fields may become way more attractive. Move a couple more Gold/Red Tees at Newman and it will play as short as Madison so why Newman? You can make a course shorter you can't make a course longer.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:17 pm

Saw the news conference on TV last night and thought that the Park Board President was sure not a people friendly person. Sounds like he could care less about what to cut and was concerned only about $$$$$ signs. Did he vote for the millions spent for the Kellogg upgrade?
go cubs go!

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Madison should be the one closed but that's just my opinion.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:52 am

Great article by K.W. today , the thing is the Park District has over priced their golf passes over the last 3 seasons by continuing to raise them where each season they have lost more pass holders, heard they lost 25% just this season alone, I play Kellogg a lot and putting in bent grass fairways and new greens was a waste of good money because Kellogg"s greens and fairways were good to begin with, the new traps and the removing of trees was fine which would have cost hardly anything, the person that thought they could turn it into a Lick Creek or a Metamora Fields is just not a golfer or just clueless as there is no comparison, Newman has not been taken care of correctly for quite sometime so it is no surprise that they would want to close it instead of hiring actual people that know what they are doing as far as upkeep on a golf course.
There are numerous things that the PPD could do as far as generating more revenue , sell passes at 600 and collect a 2.00 user fee, sell weekend passes only for the younger crowd that have no time to play during the week at 500 a pass, collect 5.00 for tee time fees and so on , problem is they do not listen to their customers or they would not be in this mess plus a consultant told them not to put bent grass fairways in at Kellogg and they failed to take that advice.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:49 pm

Where Peoria really screwed up is by not offering a young adult pass option. Something for ages 18-30 or something like that. Pekin has a junior adult pass for ages 22-28 for about half the cost of an adult pass. Hell, even their junior pass goes to age 22. Its not very realistic to ask an 18 year old to go from paying $110 as a junior to $900.
-Tommy Lasorda