Morton Lady Potters

For the civil discussion of girls basketball.
GoBirdsGo II
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Morton Lady Potters

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:04 pm

:champ

What can you say?? Hard to argue Coach Becker isn't one of the best, if not the best, in the state, regardless of boy's or girl's. What a top notch program he's developed, GS & HS. They are the bench mark in the Mid Illini and the envy of this Metamora Redbird's fan. Congrat's Lady Potters and the whole Potter Nation!!!!! :notworthy
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Morton Lady Potters

Post by Mike Radigan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:45 pm

Indeed, congrats to the Lady Potters.

I also think they could handle the four 4A teams. I was not impressed.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:06 am

Mike Radigan wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:45 pm

I also think they could handle the four 4A teams. I was nit impressed.
Rocky handled Morton fairly easily (20). Edwardsville beat Rocky by 2 but ended up losing title game by 2. Maybe, but maybe not.

Bobby B has to be IHSA HOF worthy. Five state trophies with 3 titles.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:57 am

Did you ever see so many borderline travels called?

Pittstop
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Pittstop » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:52 pm

illini25 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:06 am
Mike Radigan wrote:

Rocky handled Morton fairly easily (20). Edwardsville beat Rocky by 2 but ended up losing title game by 2. Maybe, but maybe not.

When Morton played Rocky, Bisping was out with mono and didn't play. It was only 10 point difference after 3...could have been a lot closer or even different result. I wasn't really impressed with 4A teams this year either. Coach Becker seems to get them to peak at the right time. He definitely deserves recognition.
2010 Large School "Pick-Ems" Champion

bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bigdaddystuck » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:34 pm

Having 2 nieces that have played for Coach Becker, I am impressed with how he has improved and changed as a coach. Both my nieces were on successful Potter teams with maybe more talent then he has had the last few years. He has the ability to get the most out of his players and to hold them accountable for their actions. During their celebration yesterday, it was said that every member of the team has been thrown out of practice at least once. Some may see that has being harsh but I see it as him challenging them to be better and to not rest on past accomplishments.

He has a great system in place that reaches into the grade school level. It is a system that more coaches should implement but few have even tried. I know that when I coached at the jr. high level in Washington that I reached out to both of the girls high school coaches. Neither were very interested in getting something liked that started there.

Congrats Coach Becker, hands down the best high school basketball coach in the state!
Congrats Lady Potters! Tradition never graduates! Go Potters!
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner.
Vince Lombardi

gosoxgo
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by gosoxgo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Pittstop wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:52 pm
illini25 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:06 am
Mike Radigan wrote:

When Morton played Rocky, Bisping was out with mono and didn't play. It was only 10 point difference after 3...could have been a lot closer or even different result. I wasn't really impressed with 4A teams this year either. Coach Becker seems to get them to peak at the right time. He definitely deserves recognition.
Just watching the replay of the 4A game now. Personally, I don't think it would even be close. Both Geneva and Edwardsville have too much size and athleticism. Morton is more disciplined than the two 4A teams but both are way too physical for Morton to handle. Edwardsville starts 4 6-footers and one 5'11". Geneva starts two 6'2" girls.

Gdawg1095
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Gdawg1095 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Bisping was out against Rock Island and the team had virtually no prior practice before that game to game plan without bisping, as it was during the State Farm Tournament. Morton played a 6'5 girl two years ago on Montini with probably smaller personnel and won, that team is now dominating 4a due to their class move due to success. Angela Perry is a very skilled and solid 6'3 on rochester, who was contained. Morton also played a 6'4 first team all state girl going to arkansas in supers and really defended her well after the first quarter. Morton when they need to turn things up, used a trap with 5'11 bisping, 6'1 dullard, and 5'11 dowell. All very long and truly athletic, which is the key, dullard had a game earlier in the year with 7 or 8 blocks off the bench. Bisping won the tip against 6'4, 6'2, and 6'3 in their last three games, although there is more to it than just jumping, still shows how they contained bigger players all year. Thing is all of these girls can truly jump when most 6'2 cannot. Morton did not even use the press that they really kill teams with until the second half against Rochester. They went on runs of 12+-0 in each game of the playoffs when they used this trap with this length. It makes you have 5 really good passers on the court at all times, which i would argue no team besides them in the state truly has, and even if you are a good passer, they will still turn the ball over at times. I would've liked to see them use it more just to show teams how much they really could dominate them defensively.

Gdawg1095
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Gdawg1095 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:04 pm

They also can shoot 50% from three any game with dullard, bisping, dowell, and becker, all significantly above average shooters

gosoxgo
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by gosoxgo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Gdawg1095 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:02 pm
Bisping was out against Rock Island and the team had virtually no prior practice before that game to game plan without bisping, as it was during the State Farm Tournament. Morton played a 6'5 girl two years ago on Montini with probably smaller personnel and won, that team is now dominating 4a due to their class move due to success. Angela Perry is a very skilled and solid 6'3 on rochester, who was contained. Morton also played a 6'4 first team all state girl going to arkansas in supers and really defended her well after the first quarter. Morton when they need to turn things up, used a trap with 5'11 bisping, 6'1 dullard, and 5'11 dowell. All very long and truly athletic, which is the key, dullard had a game earlier in the year with 7 or 8 blocks off the bench. Bisping won the tip against 6'4, 6'2, and 6'3 in their last three games, although there is more to it than just jumping, still shows how they contained bigger players all year. Thing is all of these girls can truly jump when most 6'2 cannot. Morton did not even use the press that they really kill teams with until the second half against Rochester. They went on runs of 12+-0 in each game of the playoffs when they used this trap with this length. It makes you have 5 really good passers on the court at all times, which i would argue no team besides them in the state truly has, and even if you are a good passer, they will still turn the ball over at times. I would've liked to see them use it more just to show teams how much they really could dominate them defensively.
Agree to disagree... although it won't happen, a 3A vs 4A game would be a fun game to watch. I still pick the 4A schools... this year. I'm not saying that's always the case. Just this year, I think both 4A schools are stronger and have what gives Morton trouble.

- Missing Bisping against RI is a big loss. While probably a closer game, i still see RI winning.
- Comparing Morton's experience against a taller opponent from 2 years ago does nothing. Teams change year to year and have different styles.
- Perry is very skilled but by no means an aggressive physical presence inside. Even so after Perry, Rochester doesn't have much additional size or are at least comparable to Morton's size.
- What team did Dullard have the 7-8 blocks against?
- The 4A teams have size and athleticism throughout their lineup. That combined with their aggressive style would give Morton troubles. They are not just big girls that move people out under the basket. They can guard and disrupt shots on the perimiter
- That press works against smaller guards which would be typical for most teams. I see the 4A teams throwing over the top to break it. I think Morton would have to eventually pull it off because after breaking the trap you'd have a huge size advantage on a 3 on 2 break.

- Morton shoots 50% on 3 ptrs for the season.... is that correct?

I think this was the strongest of the 3 championship teams for Morton. Next year will be interesting to see how they change.

Gdawg1095
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Gdawg1095 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Morton destroyed stillman valley when they tried to throw it up to 6'4 all state center. The length and athleticism made up for the height disadvantage. I think dullards blocks came against Washington, in something around 20 minutes, including three in one possession on two different girls. These concerns you raise are very relevant but i do not think you understand how well this team exploited other teams weaknesses and rarely made mistakes. I clearly state that on any given day they can shoot 50% from the 3 point line. In their two state games, they shot 8/17 and 6/10 respectively, which anyone that knows anything knows that a great shooting team can win on any given day. But clearly this team was not 3 point dependent, but they could be if that was what the game dictated

Gdawg1095
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Gdawg1095 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:47 pm

From what I can tell, seems like she was credited with 6 blocks in the game, but Played around 20 minutes, being the sixth man that doesn't start but doesn't quite get the blowout run either. Very very impressive from a freshman, Dave kindred, on the team website had it as 6, to site my source

gbbfan1
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by gbbfan1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:49 pm

Looking over the team's website ( www.mortonladypotters.com ), I came across Coach Becker's letter to the players concerning summer commitment.
Excerpts:
".......Players are made in the offseason...everyone should shoot and handle the ball daily......everyone should commit to some type of strength training to get stronger and more explosive....Mr. Al Nimmo.....we have players working and lifting with him to build strength and improve athleticism.......we are willing to put you through workouts........we refuse to coach effort...Anything less than maximum effort would be a waste of everyone's time."

I wonder how many teams have an individual who develops special programs and supervises players' strength training and routines to improve athleticism.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:18 pm

gbbfan1 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:49 pm
I wonder how many teams have an individual who develops special programs and supervises players' strength training and routines to improve athleticism.
I know of a few for a variety of girls and boys sports
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bigdaddystuck » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:24 pm

Al is great. He did wonders for my niece Emily Schultz and really helped her to build up her strength to battle in games.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner.
Vince Lombardi

craigGM

Post by craigGM » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:29 pm

I heard a rumor than Anne Peters from Washington is transferring to Morton. Anyone know if that is true?

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:56 am

craigGM wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:29 pm
I heard a rumor than Anne Peters from Washington is transferring to Morton. Anyone know if that is true?
I would doubt it. If the advice her dad gave big brother worked for him I'd assume he would give her the same advice.
http://www.pjstar.com/news/20170628/nic ... in-phoenix

bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bigdaddystuck » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:27 am

I don't think that is true about the Peters.
Vince Lombardi

Adam Duvall
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Adam Duvall » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:38 am

craigGM wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:29 pm
She's now at Metamora.
Follow me on Twitter: @AdamDuvall

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:45 pm

That really surprises me.

bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bigdaddystuck » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:47 pm

From what I've heard this has nothing to do with anything at Washington. Simply the family liking a house in the Germantown area.
Vince Lombardi

JumpbackJack
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by JumpbackJack » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Peyton Dearing who was East Peoria's starting point guard last year as a freshmen has moved to Morton. She also started on EP's state softball team. I have been told soccer is her best sport.

bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bigdaddystuck » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Wow! Very interesting.
Vince Lombardi

MortonOutsider
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:54 am

I saw in the library flyer that Dave Kindred is doing a "Girls Basketball Preview" this month at the Morton Library.

MortonOutsider
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:24 am

I was talking with a GBB parent this weekend -
After fielding a team of 15 for 8th Grade Girls basketball a year ago, only 5 MHS freshmen are out this fall.
I guess there was a summer league and they said they had a dozen or so freshmen play in it.

I don't know what happened between June and October.