Building a Dynasty

For the civil discussion of girls basketball.
gbbfan1
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Building a Dynasty

Post by gbbfan1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:40 pm

IMO-Geno Auriemma-Head Coach UCONN Women’s Basketball- 11 National Championships- (along with Pat Summit) is the greatest coach in the history of Women’s College Basketball. I believe his core principles apply to girls high school basketball as well. Throughout the season, I am going to post some of Geno’s thoughts on the UCONN culture, teaching the game, character, accountability, relationships with players, recruiting, parents, etc..

UCONN Culture
“I think the majority of our success is based on the culture that we have that’s been created and instilled over the past 29 years, that’s part 1. Part 2 is we happen to have a lot of really good players year in and year out. Part 3 is how personally accountable we hold each and every player on our team every minute of every day…in every single thing that we do.”

“You take the culture they have to live up to, the fact that we have lots of very good players, and the fact that every minute of every day they can’t be anything but great…and that accounts for winning all the games that we’ve won."

gbbfan1
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: Building a Dynasty

Post by gbbfan1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:48 am

PRACTICES

”Practices must be at game speed. You have to make practices harder than anything they could face in a game.”
”It’s about doing it in a way that it can’t be done any better. That’s the goal every day.”
”Every day we need to be one step up from where we were the day before.”
”We will spent an entire practice on one thing until they do it right every time.”
”You have to figure out how to get them to be good. They may hate me for it, but I don’t need any nineteen-year-old friends.”

SShadow
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by SShadow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:45 pm

I really like the "but I don't need any 19 year old friends" line. I have seen the failures of coaches trying to be friends, which is different that being respected. Will look forward to reading your UConn input.
Look back but don't stare.

gbbfan1
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by gbbfan1 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:10 pm

The Parents’ Role
“Every parent has wanted to raise a child who was talented in some respect-theater, arts, sports, spelling bee champion, whatever…We all hope that one or all of our kids would have that kind of passion…or talent…Some of us are not fortunate to have those sorts of kids, but they all have something…and you have to recognize, as a parent, what it is that they have and how can I nurture that…Instead of how do I take advantage of that-how do I make them into something that’s spectacular… Well, they may not have the ability to be spectacular…and now you’re living your lives in an effort to make them into something they may not be able to be, and you’re scarin’ the h*ll out of ‘em…or they’re really good….and you get caught up in it because you want it so bad…I don’t think the parents are intentionally trying to hurt their kids or anybody else….It’s just you want it so badly for your kids…Let them go out there…their talent will dictate how far they’ll go….Just encourage them to follow it, whatever that is.”

gbbfan1
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by gbbfan1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:28 am

“I’ll pose a question to my players. I’ll say, ‘If you don’t take responsibility to do the things we ask you to do in a game, what’s the worst that can happen…we lose a basketball game…what happens tomorrow morning?...You wake up, your friends haven’t disowned you, your parents still love you, you still have your scholarship’…I’ve said this, ‘Kids your age all around the world…in the military…that when they don’t do what they’re supposed to do when it’s supposed to be done, it has serious consequences…for themselves, for their comrades, for their families…So when you start taking every little thing you’re supposed to do as seriously as those kids your age take their jobs in the military, then you’ll understand what passion is, what commitment to detail is…and when your teammates expect you to do something, you do it…So here, see, if you accept mistakes because it’s just a game, and nothing bad happens, then as you move on in the rest of your life, and the stakes get higher, and things get tougher, all you learned is how to make mistakes, and how to make excuses…and we talk about that almost every day.”