Is This A Problem Or Rare Occurrence?

For the civil discussion of girls basketball.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Is This A Problem Or Rare Occurrence?

Post by CIS »

I see that Pekin's freshman girls basketball team has had to cancel remainder of season due to low numbers/injuries etc. (Maybe two or three games). I would think a school of 1900 students should have enough players at each level to finish a season? I believe that Morton, even though one of the great programs in state, had to cancel their freshman schedule a few years ago due to low numbers, which surprised me (If I am wrong correct me but I believe I read that). However, Pekin has twice the students over Morton. Are F-S numbers for girls basketball a problem at other schools or is this just a rare occurrence? I know this is a first for Pekin. It looks like the freshman team started with 12 players this year but I guess attrition has taken several players. I would think maybe next year try to have 14-15 players on team (maybe 12 is all that went out for the team but if 14-15 go out I would not cut anyone)

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Is This A Problem Or Rare Occurrence?

Post by O&B 78 »

Are the middle schools able to field teams? If so I would think it’s a coaching issue. Or injuries like you said.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

Disturbed
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Disturbed »

Total number of girls basketball players at Illini Bluffs High School currently:

4 seniors
4 juniors
1 sophomore
2 freshmen

Our enrollment is 253.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Disturbed wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:30 am
Total number of girls basketball players at Illini Bluffs High School currently:

4 seniors
4 juniors
1 sophomore
2 freshmen

Our enrollment is 253.
Is that varsity only or that the whole program? No F-S team? If there are only three F-S players in the whole program, what IB do for a varsity team in three years? :shock: And yet, your school of 253 beat Pekin (1900 students) this year!
Last edited by CIS on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD »

I believe the Washington boys team has 1 senior.

I think you have a lot more schools pushing kids out of the programs for whatever reason. So many schools are playing Fresh/soph on varsity and kids aren't willing to sit the bench and play behind others.

boys or girls
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

O&B 78 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:49 am
Are the middle schools able to field teams? If so I would think it’s a coaching issue. Or injuries like you said.
Well that is what is interesting OB. Pekin has FIVE junior highs that feed into the school. You have the two city junior highs, Edison and Broadmoor. Then you have one catholic school (St. Joe's). You also add two smaller junior highs, Rankin (South Pekin area) and Georgetown (North Pekin-Marquette Heights). Now I know that Broadmoor and Edison have full teams. Rankin, Georgetown and St. Joe's have boys teams, not sure about girls teams. But still you have potentially five junior highs feeding girls into Pekin high school. Surely you can field a full team from all that...I would think you could get more than 10-12 girls to go out for the freshman team.
Last edited by CIS on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

JD wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:06 pm

I think you have a lot more schools pushing kids out of the programs for whatever reason. So many schools are playing Fresh/soph on varsity and kids aren't willing to sit the bench and play behind others.

boys or girls
It's amazing to think that Washington with 1400 students or so, has only one varsity player! But I know that Pekin has had some years with only 2 or 3 seniors players at the boys level. I guess a lot of kids quit before their senior year. When I went to school back in the dark ages (1970's) Pekin had freshman A and B teams (about 30 players total!), a soph team, a JV team with some varsity players who didn't play much along with juniors who were not on the varsity, and the varsity team. There were 50-60 boys involved. I had friends that had little chance of playing much or making the varsity but enjoyed being part of the F-S and JV teams. I know one friend who played little on the freshman B team, but grew a few inches, played some on the soph team as a sophomore, then played JV as a junior and by the time he was senior he was starting the varsity team. It was quite a journey to watch him grow into a pretty good player. Also, I know that several other larger schools and few mid size schools had the same set up (JV teams and so forth) in the 1970's...

Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

CIS wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:02 pm
Disturbed wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:30 am

4 seniors
4 juniors
1 sophomore
2 freshmen

Our enrollment is 253.
Is that varsity only or that the whole program? No F-S team? If there are only three F-S players in the whole program, what IB do for a varsity team in three years? :shock: And yet, your school of 253 beat Pekin (1900 students) this year!
Our entire program. Our 8th graders were state champs in 7th grade and got 3rd place this year (48-2 the last two years) and our 7th grade girls were 20-2 this year so help is on the way. Both groups will have several that will play in high school.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

JD wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:06 pm
And the girls only only have 2. And I’m not sure one of them gets much time.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Kind of weird isn't to think that out of a senior class of maybe 300+ that there are only 2 or 3 seniors on the entire boys and girls basketball teams! But that happens at times, even at larger schools...however both teams are very good this year for Washington which bodes well for the future!