Galesburg Silver Streaks 2016-2017

For the civil discussion of girls basketball.
gbbfan1
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Galesburg Silver Streaks 2016-2017

Post by gbbfan1 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:35 am

Practice starts Monday. Kaylah and Kylie Townsell, Meinert, Huppenbauer, Junk, Lingafelter played volleyball. Haven't picked up a basketball in 3+ months. As far as I know, neither Milroy nor Sampson played fall sports. Maybe they got themselves into open gym and weight room.

Awaiting an update from GHS AD on progress of installation of new floor and ADA-compliant bleachers in Thiel Gym.

Anyway........got my new pair of kicks; black high-top Chuck Taylor Converse All-Stars. THE iconic basketball shoe. Forget Air Jordans.

Watch this space.

gbbfan1

Re: Galesburg Silver Streaks 2016-2017

Post by gbbfan1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:11 am

Streaks' Practice Begins
http://www.galesburg.com/sports/2016103 ... n-practice

One glaring(although expected) omission.
Why is Rock Island Alleman in this tournament? They already play them twice in the conference.

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:20 am

OVERVIEW

LOSSES
Shayli Florine 6’1” C- Leading scorer and rebounder; 2-time 1st-Team WB6 All-Conference; Honorable Mention AP All-State; 2nd-Team IBCA All-State; South MVP IBCA 3A/4A All-Star Game. For three years, she did everything Massey ever asked of her. Playing for McKendry College.
Lexi Daniels 5’6” 2G – 2nd leading scorer; 3rd all-time in 3pt. FGs-256; Special Mention IBCA All-State Team. Nobody ever worked harder than Lexi. Playing for the University of Dubuque.
Kailyn Boydstun 5’5” G-great teammate.
Raina Gully 5’6” PG JR.- 3rd leading scorer; assists leader; 2-time 1st-Team WB6 All-Conference; Set single-game record for assists-13; MVP Mattoon Holiday Tournament; 2015-Honorable Mention IBCA All-State Team; 2016-not nominated?? Enrolled in Springfield High five days after Sectional Semi-Final loss to Washington??? At team banquet (which she did not attend) voted Co-MOP by teammates along with Florine, Daniels, and Kaylah Townsell. Sums up her teammates’ esteem for her.

2016-17 Varsity Roster
Kaylah Townsell 5’5” PG/2G SR.
Kylie Townsell 5’5” Wing/F SR.
Andrea Sampson 5’6” G SO.
Rylee Chockley 5’4” G JR.
Saige Milroy 5’7” 2G/PG SR.
Megan Lingafelter 5’5” G JR.
Megan Gugliotta 5’7” F JR.
Ellen Junk 5’7” F SR.
Hannah Huppenbauer 6’1” F JR.
Emily Meinert 5’11” F JR.

Assuming no defections since summer.

Streaks76
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Streaks76 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:06 pm

gbbfan1 wrote:OVERVIEW

LOSSES
Shayli Florine 6’1” C- Leading scorer and rebounder; 2-time 1st-Team WB6 All-Conference; Honorable Mention AP All-State; 2nd-Team IBCA All-State; South MVP IBCA 3A/4A All-Star Game. For three years, she did everything Massey ever asked of her. Playing for McKendry College.
Lexi Daniels 5’6” 2G – 2nd leading scorer; 3rd all-time in 3pt. FGs-256; Special Mention IBCA All-State Team. Nobody ever worked harder than Lexi. Playing for the University of Dubuque.
Kailyn Boydstun 5’5” G-great teammate.
Raina Gully 5’6” PG JR.- 3rd leading scorer; assists leader; 2-time 1st-Team WB6 All-Conference; Set single-game record for assists-13; MVP Mattoon Holiday Tournament; 2015-Honorable Mention IBCA All-State Team; 2016-not nominated?? Enrolled in Springfield High five days after Sectional Semi-Final loss to Washington??? At team banquet (which she did not attend) voted Co-MOP by teammates along with Florine, Daniels, and Kaylah Townsell. Sums up her teammates’ esteem for her.

2016-17 Varsity Roster
Megan Gugliotta 5’7” F JR.
Ellen Junk 5’7” F SR.

Assuming no defections since summer.
Official schedule is not posted anywhere, but I heard the Streaks will NOT play Springfield High School in the Thanksgiving Tournament. :pale I'm not surprised. They've played each other every year that I can recall, so it's pretty obvious we are avoiding playing Raina. Probably pretty smart.

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:01 pm

Streaks76 wrote:[
Official schedule is not posted anywhere, but I heard the Streaks will NOT play Springfield High School in the Thanksgiving Tournament. :pale I'm not surprised. They've played each other every year that I can recall, so it's pretty obvious we are avoiding playing Raina. Probably pretty smart.
I was going to comment on that as soon as the schedule came out to verify the situation. I was going to be a little more subtle. I commend you for being totally blunt. Springfield has been coming to this tournament since 2008. They have been by far the best opponent in the field. If the same field returns from last year, losing them takes the tournament down another notch; which wasn't very high to begin with. They play six games in this year's tournament, so they will have at least one new team. Hopefully that team, along with maybe some other new ones will raise the level.

Streaks76
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Streaks76 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:53 pm

gbbfan1 wrote:
Streaks76 wrote:[
I was going to comment on that as soon as the schedule came out to verify the situation. I was going to be a little more subtle. I commend you for being totally blunt. Springfield has been coming to this tournament since 2008. They have been by far the best opponent in the field. If the same field returns from last year, losing them takes the tournament down another notch; which wasn't very high to begin with. They play six games in this year's tournament, so they will have at least one new team. Hopefully that team, along with maybe some other new ones will raise the level.
Just to be clear, I heard Springfield is still coming, just not gonna play the Streaks. This is going to be a pretty weak schedule for the Streaks in my opinion. I'm guessing we play EP, Metamora, IW, Dunlap, PC, and Knoxville. That would leave UT, Alleman and Springfield the only teams they don't play in the field.

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:10 pm

The R-M article stated that they start the season on Nov. 15 vs. Alleman in Thanksgiving Tournament. My guess is that they won't play Dunlap since they play them Jan. 9 at Dunlap. Although why they would play Knoxville is beyond me. Has the field been verified? If they're playing Alleman, East Peoria, Illini West, Metamora, Peoria Christian, and Knoxville, this tournament has hit a new low.

roadtrip
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by roadtrip » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Knoxville is not in it, they are playing in the Ridgewood Tournament

SShadow
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by SShadow » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:35 pm

"Meet the Streaks" Thursday, November 3rd, being held in the Field House as John Thiel Gymnasium is not yet ready for games. Perhaps the answers you are looking for can be answered there.

Let the Season begin!
Look back but don't stare.

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:28 pm

Stopped by the High School this morning to check out the gym. The floor is completed. The new steel bleachers were being assembled. It looked like they were making good progress. I asked if it would be ready by the 15th. "Fingers crossed. Thinking happy thoughts".

Season tickets are being mailed out this week.

There are four small sections of bleachers set up in the fieldhouse. After several years, it took a crisis for them to finally put up a scoreboard. The scoreboard had to be cut from the original budget.

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:26 pm

A couple surprises at "Meet The Streaks" last night.

2016-17 Varsity Roster(Revised)
Sydney Boyd 5'6" G JR. *
Anna Gugliotta 5’7” F JR.
Ellen Junk 5’7” F SR.
Lauryn Campbell 5'7" G JR.*
Yvonne Mixon 5'10" F JR.*

*-Did not play last summer

FYI
Facebook-Streaks Girls Basketball
Team Page- http://www.galesburggirlsbasketball.org

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:11 am

This is the schedule given out at “Meet The Streaks”. I’m going to take a chance and assume it is correct.

2016-17 Varsity Schedule

Tue Nov. 15 7:00pm Rock Island Alleman#
Fri Nov 18 6:00pm East Peoria#
Sat Nov. 19 6:00pm Dunlap#
Tue Nov. 22 6:30pm @UTHS
Fri Nov. 25 4:30pm Metamora#
Sat Nov. 26 6:00pm Chicago Goode STEM#
Thu Dec. 1 6:30pm @Alleman
Tue Dec. 6 7:00pm Lincoln
Thu Dec. 8 6:30pm Moline
Sat Dec. 10 1:30pm @Canton
Thu Dec. 15 6:30pm Quincy
Thu Dec. 22 7:00pm @Peoria Notre Dame
Dec. 27, 28, 29 TBA Mattoon Holiday Tournament( Sullivan, Salem, Decatur MacArthur, plus crossover games)
Thu Jan. 5 6:30 @Rock Island
Mon Jan. 9 7:00pm @Dunlap
Thu Jan. 12 6:30pm UTHS
Sat Jan. 14 10:30am Quincy ND 3:30pm Rockford Auburn%
Mon Jan. 16 2:00pm Morton%
Thu Jan. 19 6:30pm Rock Island Alleman
Sat Jan. 21 Noon St. Thomas More 6:30pm Bloomington%
Thu Jan. 26 6:30 @Moline
Sat Jan. 28 TBA Stillman Valley
Thu Feb. 2 6:30pm @Quincy
Sat Feb. 4 1:30pm @Sterling
Thu Feb. 9 6:30pm Rock Island

#Thanksgiving Tournament
%MLK Tournament

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:01 pm

ROSTER BREAKDOWN (IMHO)

Returning Starters
Kaylah Townsell- 5’5” SR. -wing last year, this year most likely #1PG, some 2G.
Kylie Townsell- 5’5” SR. – F last year; probably wing this year; also maybe some F if JR. Fs fail to contribute.

Returning Non-Starters
Emily Meinert- 5’11” F JR; limited playing time last month or so of season.
Elllen Junk 5’7’ F SR.-limited playing time last month or so of season; projected starter.
Saige Milroy 5’7” 2G (#2 PG?) SR.- little playing time last year; projected starter.

First-Year Varsity
Anna Gugliotta 5’7” F JR.
Andrea Sampson 5’6” G SO. - Started during summer
Sydney Boyd 5’6” G JR.- Did not play last year.
Lauryn Campbell 5”7 G JR.- Played on Soph. team as Fresh. Did not play last year.
Yvonne Mixon 5’10” F JR.- IMHO best player from last year’s Soph. team.

Massey used a starting lineup of Kay. Townsell, Kylie Townsell, Junk, Milroy, and Sampson during summer; Meinert, Lingafelter, Huppenbauer off bench in that order.

IMHO- A lineup of Kaylah-PG, Milroy-2G, Kylie-wing, Junk-F, and Meinert-F would be the most productive.

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:24 pm

http://www.galesburggirlsbasketball.org ... or-Is-Done
Great pictures of new Thiel Gym floor: Lightning bolt back at center court, Thiel's autograph along the sideline. Beautiful floor except for those **** volleyball lines.

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:00 am

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:55 pm

IMHO (Relative vs. quality opponents)

UNKNOWNS- Realistically, the entire team is one big unknown. The only players with a track record are Kaylah and Kylie Townsell- seem almost certain to assume new roles this season. The keyword for this team is inexperience.

OFFENSE- Where will the offense come from. Top three offensive options gone.
Perimeter- Kaylah’s game is mainly taking the ball inside from the wing or top of key off a high-post screen and spot-up 3ptr. Kylie can also get inside from the baseline or wing. Milroy is basically a spot-up 3pt. shooter; not much off the dribble. Kaylah and Milroy probably take the majority of 3pt. shots; Kylie probably #3 option. Outside shooting inconsistent this summer.
Post- Unpredictable; Jr. Fs skillsets works in progress; 5’7” Junk? ; Kaylah capable of posting up a small guard.

DEFENSE
Perimeter-Should be pretty good. Kaylah and Kylie are “+” quickness. Milroy, Sampson, Lingafelter average quickness. All fundamentally sound and extremely aggressive. Must apply heavy ball pressure to make post entry difficult, where they will be at a disadvantage.
Post- Junk is undersized, but rugged; always get 100% effort. Jr. Fs unknown; although last year Meinert showed good strength, quickness, and a willingness to bang inside.
Press- Not sure how much of this they will do against quality opponents, given Kaylah and Milroy (primary offense and ballhandling) must play a lot of minutes-fatigue factor.

RANDOM THOUGHTS
-Kaylah is going to have a bullseye on her back. Teams will recognize she’s the key. Going to draw opponents #1 or #2 defender, rotating fresh defenders. She’s going to get roughed up like Raina last year-ballhandling and taking the ball inside. A lot of responsibilities: primary ballhandler (with Milroy), #1 offensive option, run the offense, defend one of the opponents’ best scorers.
-I think they’ll run some sets with Milroy at PG and Kaylah at 2G-give Kaylah a little break and open up some scoring opportunities away from the ball off screens.
-Against quality opponents, I think Kaylah and Milroy will have to play Gully-like minutes; 4th qtr. fatigue a factor; early foul trouble worrisome.
-Kaylah, Milroy, Kylie top offensive options. Tough to win with only perimeter offense. Need a post option, but…….
-I think they’ll see frequent 2-3 extended zone. Shut down the inside, offense reduced to 3pt. shots ( happened several times this summer). Opponents can extend pressure because guards not concerned with doubling-down on the post this year.
-Contributions from Meinert and Huppenbauer are crucial-at both ends of the floor. Hopefully they’ll be able to use a Junk, Meinert, Huppenbauer rotation. Meinert- aggressive, hard worker; gets ahead of herself at times; just dial it back a tick, she’ll be fine. Huppenbauer- has the physical tools- (mental?)
“Mental toughness is to physical as 4 is to 1.”-Bob Knight
“If you’re mentally tough, you’re going to be physically tough.”-Pat Riley
“Toughness has nothing to do with size, strength or athleticism. Some players are born tough, but I believe toughness is a skill that can be developed and improved.”-Jay Bilas
-Bottom line- (1) Can’t overstate Kaylah’s importance, (2) Offense-? (3) Post-?), (4) Untested bench.

Streaks76?

Streaks76
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Streaks76 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:18 am

gbbfan1 wrote:IMHO (Relative vs. quality opponents)

UNKNOWNS- Realistically, the entire team is one big unknown. The only players with a track record are Kaylah and Kylie Townsell- seem almost certain to assume new roles this season. The keyword for this team is inexperience.

OFFENSE- Where will the offense come from. Top three offensive options gone.
Perimeter- Kaylah’s game is mainly taking the ball inside from the wing or top of key off a high-post screen and spot-up 3ptr. Kylie can also get inside from the baseline or wing. Milroy is basically a spot-up 3pt. shooter; not much off the dribble. Kaylah and Milroy probably take the majority of 3pt. shots; Kylie probably #3 option. Outside shooting inconsistent this summer.
Post- Unpredictable; Jr. Fs skillsets works in progress; 5’7” Junk? ; Kaylah capable of posting up a small guard.

DEFENSE
Perimeter-Should be pretty good. Kaylah and Kylie are “+” quickness. Milroy, Sampson, Lingafelter average quickness. All fundamentally sound and extremely aggressive. Must apply heavy ball pressure to make post entry difficult, where they will be at a disadvantage.
Post- Junk is undersized, but rugged; always get 100% effort. Jr. Fs unknown; although last year Meinert showed good strength, quickness, and a willingness to bang inside.
Press- Not sure how much of this they will do against quality opponents, given Kaylah and Milroy (primary offense and ballhandling) must play a lot of minutes-fatigue factor.

RANDOM THOUGHTS
-Kaylah is going to have a bullseye on her back. Teams will recognize she’s the key. Going to draw opponents #1 or #2 defender, rotating fresh defenders. She’s going to get roughed up like Raina last year-ballhandling and taking the ball inside. A lot of responsibilities: primary ballhandler (with Milroy), #1 offensive option, run the offense, defend one of the opponents’ best scorers.
-I think they’ll run some sets with Milroy at PG and Kaylah at 2G-give Kaylah a little break and open up some scoring opportunities away from the ball off screens.
-Against quality opponents, I think Kaylah and Milroy will have to play Gully-like minutes; 4th qtr. fatigue a factor; early foul trouble worrisome.
-Kaylah, Milroy, Kylie top offensive options. Tough to win with only perimeter offense. Need a post option, but…….
-I think they’ll see frequent 2-3 extended zone. Shut down the inside, offense reduced to 3pt. shots ( happened several times this summer). Opponents can extend pressure because guards not concerned with doubling-down on the post this year.
-Contributions from Meinert and Huppenbauer are crucial-at both ends of the floor. Hopefully they’ll be able to use a Junk, Meinert, Huppenbauer rotation. Meinert- aggressive, hard worker; gets ahead of herself at times; just dial it back a tick, she’ll be fine. Huppenbauer- has the physical tools- (mental?)
“Mental toughness is to physical as 4 is to 1.”-Bob Knight
“If you’re mentally tough, you’re going to be physically tough.”-Pat Riley
“Toughness has nothing to do with size, strength or athleticism. Some players are born tough, but I believe toughness is a skill that can be developed and improved.”-Jay Bilas
-Bottom line- (1) Can’t overstate Kaylah’s importance, (2) Offense-? (3) Post-?), (4) Untested bench.

Streaks76?
Completely agree. It's amazing what the absence of the ONE player- full game ball handler and penetrator- can do to an entire team. I will say that these girls spent 2 good years playing together without Raina who went straight to varsity. Fatigue, consistency, injuries, and depth will be issues. With that said, an easier non conference schedule and only 1 real challenge (Mattoon) in the Xmas tournament and I still see 20 wins.

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:08 am

Streaks' Season Preview
http://www.galesburg.com/sports/2016111 ... on-tuesday

In Masseyworld, Raina Gully doesn't exist. I've documented her outstanding contributions to this team in previous posts. Notice he didn't say anything about who is going to take over playmaking duties. If he did, it would logically lead to a reference to Raina.

If you listen to Massey long enough, you realize what he doesn't say is often as significant as what he does say.

Mentioning Yvonne Mixon along with Meinert and Huppenbauer leads me to think he believes she can be a factor in post depth. If that is the case, they could turn a questionable position into a strength. Same with Sydney Boyd for guard depth.

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Streaks76
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Streaks76 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:12 pm

gbbfan1 wrote:Streaks' Season Preview
http://www.galesburg.com/sports/2016111 ... on-tuesday

In Masseyworld, Raina Gully doesn't exist. I've documented her outstanding contributions to this team in previous posts. Notice he didn't say anything about who is going to take over playmaking duties. If he did, it would logically lead to a reference to Raina.

If you listen to Massey long enough, you realize what he doesn't say is often as significant as what he does say.

Mentioning Yvonne Mixon along with Meinert and Huppenbauer leads me to think he believes she can be a factor in post depth. If that is the case, they could turn a questionable position into a strength. Same with Sydney Boyd for guard depth.
The non-mentioning of Raina as a former player no longer on the team has hit pitiful proportions. If you read the papers and listen to the radio it almost seems like collusion of the full town to erase her memory. She worked too hard and played too well to not even be an afterthought. We've seen this before with Warner and the older Junk girl some years ago. I get you want the program to move on but this seems kinda childish. She moved with a parent out of town (happens all the time theses days), she didn't team up with a better school to burn bridges. She could have moved before last season. I don't understand the entire situation. There must be more to it.

As stated in the other thread, posts are going to struggle to score and thats NOT good.

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:34 pm

Thursday 6:00pm- Open house at Thiel for season ticketholders to locate their seats. GHS AD,"50% are happy with me, 50% are mad at me." I'm one of the happy 50%.

SShadow
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by SShadow » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:12 pm

We believe we in the 50% who are happy with the AD........and are looking forward to the first game with the new flooring, and seats.
Look back but don't stare.

sshoopster
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by sshoopster » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:04 pm

SShadow wrote:We believe we in the 50% who are happy with the AD........and are looking forward to the first game with the new flooring, and seats.
One of you has the best seat in the house.

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:18 pm

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:27 am

Galesburg at United Township Preview
http://www.galesburg.com/sports/2016112 ... wb6-action

-Galesburg will certainly press fc, especially with UT short-handed; Dunlap had success with it against them.
-Galesburg guards must continue to disrupt UT from getting into flow offensively.
-Losing Brandi L. helps even out the size, with only Brittni L. 5'11" and O'Brien 6'0". Still a big challenge for Meinert as both are athletic and good offensively. Foul trouble a concern. Huppenbauer might be called upon to play more minutes. If both bigs in at the same time, there will be a mismatch vs. Junk.
-Injuries force UT to shuffle lineup. Buchanan and O'Brien will start. Depending on which way UT wants to go, could go with Brittni L. and O'Brien inside with two of three Tague/Price/Jackson; or go small with Brittni L. off bench to spell O'Brien with Tague, Price, and Jackson extra ballhandlers vs. Galesburg's press. With only six regulars, short-handed whichever way they go.
-UT played 2-3 and 1-2-2 in games I saw at our Thanksgiving Tournament.
-Important for Kaylah and Kylie to get into gaps in zone.
-Probably won't shoot as high of a 3pt. FG% on road.