Does "Commitment" Mean Anything Anymore?

For the civil discussion of girls basketball.
gbbfan1
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Does "Commitment" Mean Anything Anymore?

Post by gbbfan1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:58 pm

True story-hard to believe. Unimpeachable source.

In the middle of basketball season, a player comes to the coach expressing a desire to attend a volleyball tournament the following week. The coach tells her to do what she has to do. So she goes, missing both of the team’s games that week. She returns the following week, business as usual. The dad is upset because the coach didn’t tell her, “Good luck. Have a great tournament.” The fact that this guy thought the situation was appropriate to begin with is bad enough. Being p*ssed off that the coach didn’t enthusiastically encourage her is beyond my comprehension.

This player shouldn’t even be on the team. If she is so committed to volleyball, go play club ball instead. She’s dishonoring her commitment to the team; disrespecting her teammates. If she doesn’t value her place on the team, she should turn in her uniform so it could go to someone who would have given anything to have it, and was cut.

What message is the coach sending to the other players? “Team first” are just empty words when in conflict with a personal priority? He should have said,” When you put on that uniform, you’re saying you’re making a 100% commitment to this team. You have a choice to either honor that commitment or not. If you choose not to, you don’t belong on this team. It’s a slap in the face to the players who honor their commitment. Nobody gets special treatment.” I can’t understand this coach’s mindset. How can a player respect a coach, when he allows one player to put her desires ahead of the team, while, at the same time, preaching a culture of unselfishness and accountability. Zero credibility. Bowing to off-the-court factors.

If I'm wrong, somebody tell me why.

What life lesson is the dad teaching her about commitment? It’s only valid as long as it’s convenient? Put your personal interests first, and to h*ll with your responsibility to others? Is this what “modern” parents are teaching their children? They defend their actions with,” Well, kids are different today.”

“We’re building a culture of accountability, trust, and togetherness. Entitlement will not be tolerated.”-Brad Stephens, Head Coach Boston Celtics

“We are in the trophy generation. Give them a trophy for 23rd place. It makes the parents happy.-Tom Izzo

“You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven’t changed. Kids don’t know anything about anything. We’ve changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We’re the ones who have changed.”-Frank Martin, Head Coach Auburn University Men’s Basketball

gbbfan1

Re: Does "Commitment" Mean Anything Anymore?

Post by gbbfan1 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:52 pm

This person quit the team after one game this season. She should have done it last year.