Building a Dynasty

For the civil discussion of girls basketball.
gbbfan1
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Re: Building a Dynasty

Post by gbbfan1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:35 pm

“I’ll say to them, ‘You guys just had a huddle over there. Who did the talkin’?...You (point guard) go into that huddle and you go, ‘This is what we’re gonna do. You’re gonna do this. You’re gonna do that. Got it? Let’s go.’… And everybody listens. That to me is what the guy who’s got the ball in their hands all the time has got to have the ability to do.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:10 pm

Interviewer: “Over thirty years at practice, is there anything that stays the same?”
Geno: “We do a lot of the same drills…a whole bunch that we never used to do in the beginning, but we do a lot of the old stuff…We’re probably more offensive minded than we were my first 5, 6, 7, years…the game’s changed a bit…you hafta keep an eye on what…what is the temperature of the game…where’s the college game…where’s the game in general…college, pros, overseas…What are the best teams doin’?...and how do they stay one step ahead of everybody else?...So we’ve always tried to…tried to anticipate, like, what’s coming next…But I find we’re doing stuff that coaches used to do in the Sixties…and they go, ‘Why?’…dunno…it works…everything that’s worth having, eventually it comes back…how long it lasts, I dunno, but the good stuff generally doesn’t go away.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:14 pm

Interviewer: “Can you tell during warm-ups whether or not they have that sort of killer instinct that night?”
Geno: “I refuse to watch warm-ups…’cause I don’t want to have a preconceived notion of how it’s gonna be…’cause if they warm up poorly, now I’m already… already suffer angst…So I…The assistants go out and they watch…and they’ll come in and, you know…sometimes I think they’re lying…They’ll go, ‘We shot the ball great out there…I go, ‘How’d we look?’ ‘Oh, we shot the ball great. We look really good. Ready.’ And I’ll try to figure out…I think they’re lyin’, they’re just tryin’ to keep me happy. They’re not gonna come in ever and go, ‘Man, we’re not ready.’.Never. So I know they’re lyin’.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:12 pm

Interviewer: Do you ever go into practice knowing you’re going to be tough on a certain player?”
Geno: Yes…Let’s say somebody’s…or it’s the second or third game…two weeks now, we’ve been harpin’ on somebody for the same things all that time…And now we go into practice, and it’s like, ‘Okay, that’s it. The time to look the other way…the excuses and, you know, kid glove stuff, it’s over…We’re goin’ in there today, and we’re goin’ to fix this’…and they’re gonna get it…and we’re gonna see how they react.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:56 pm

“Coach challenged me to believe I could do anything. He forced me to be somebody special. If you’re not in this program for four years, you’ll never understand, you can’t put it to words, how much, you know, someone like that means to you.”-Diana Taurasi

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:08 pm

“We take kind of a different approach to recruiting. We try to identify pretty early on what we are looking for. And then when we identify it, we spend all our time and energy on those kids. If it is one, two, or three, we go in believing we are going to get those kids we think work hard enough and fit what we want. You roll the dice, and you might come up empty, but that is the chance we might take. We’ve been in that situation a lot of times. People said, ‘What was your Plan B back in ’91 with Rebecca Lobo?’ We didn’t have a Plan B. ‘What was your Plan B with Stewie, Tuck, and Moriah?’ We didn’t have a Plan B. Those are the guys we wanted. ‘Who would your shooter be if you didn’t get Lou or Pheesa?’ I don’t know. These are the two guys we wanted, and we got them. So there are years when you come up empty, but we have gotten pretty much what we need more times than not.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:54 pm

“…Diana, Maya, Stewie. That’s my pyramid of success-great players…Every day we try to live up to our potential…so every day we’re trying to make sure that if our best players are the best in the country, they have to be the best players in the country every day in practice; there’s no days off…that doesn’t happen at our place…our best players have to be great every single day…and that raises the level of everybody around them.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:41 pm

Interviewer: “They have to survive you initially. But as they get a little bit older, they start to be the ones to orientate the freshmen.”
Geno: “Correct. The way I explain it is, Chris (Dailey, Associate Head Coach) has a pretty good idea of what I want because we talk about it a lot…kind of in each other’s heads. And then our other assistants, Shea and Marissa…so we’re kind of a team…we’re a team within a team…the four of us, so we’re a team…Chris and I are maybe the Captains of the team, and then Shea and Marissa… Now, our upperclassmen, our Srs. and our Jrs., they’re part of another team…and they know that they’re pretty responsible for a lot of stuff…so we spend a lot of time coaching our Srs. and Jrs….Now our younger guys, Freshmen and Sophomores, they know they’re part of a small team of guys who don’t know anything, and are gonna get blamed for everything…So all of these teams that are operating under one umbrella…everything has to trickle down…So we coach Shea and Marissa, they coach the upperclass guys, they coach the younger guys…so there’s never a sense of, ‘We don’t know what the expectation is, Coach. No one ever told us.’ Yea, they do. They tell you every day from the minute you step on campus…and there’s always someone above you that you feel like you’re accountable to. So you don’t want a freshman goin’,’I’m accountable to Coach Auriemma.’ That’s too far away. They know that there’s a Jr. that’s on their butts every day. That you’re accountable to that guy right there.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:34 pm

“…Creating an unselfish environment…meaning, um, everyone has to give up a little of themselves for the team, and yet, at the same time find a way to be a star…I try to describe it to my players like a jazz band, and there’s four people in the band, and everybody’s playing, and it sounds like everybody’s connected to each other…and then, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, maybe the bass player would do a little riff, that’s his thing…and then they’ll seamlessly come back, and it just blends…and then, maybe a little bit later, the guy with the horn, he does his little thing, and then they come back…So within that like, beautiful music, people get to stand out, and then they come back…I think basketball’s a lot like that…five players on the floor, tryin’ to play as one, and within that, people being able to be stars…and always comin’ back to the team.”

The UCONN players don’t wear their names on their uniforms. Geno says, “The short answer is, it’s all about what’s across here (taps chest): ‘UCONN’…One year, by mistake, the uniform company shipped the jerseys out with the players’ names on them. The team voted to send them back.

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:38 pm

(Interviewer shows Geno a tape of Diana Taurasi interview).
Diana: “I know I can go to Coach Auriemma for anything. I have enough confidence in him that I told him things that I haven’t ever told people I’ve known my whole life. Coach really worked on getting to know me. He figured me out like no one else ever has. So that’s why I trust him with anything.”

Interviewer: “Your reaction?”
Geno: “…We understood each other from the very beginning, and she knew that I had her back. There was never anything that was going to happen to her that I wouldn’t be there to help her…Even to this day, if I don’t talk to her for three months, it doesn’t matter. I know when that phone rings…I get that text…I know it’s really important, and I know that we’re right back to where we were.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:35 pm

"I’ve based my approach as a coach on this philosophy: ‘Perfection is unattainable. But if you chase perfection, you’ll catch excellence.’-Vince Lombardi.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:04 am

Why would some of the best players in the country want to come out to the middle of nowhere to Storrs, Conn. to play basketball?

Geno built UCONN’s program from nothing. 1971-’85, UCONN had one winning season. You figure the first time he walked into the gym, he had 2 or 3 High School All-Americans waiting for him? He inherited players who had never played on a winning team.

His early recruiting classes had no high-profile players. He was able to sign players he thought he could develop and mold into the system he was trying to build. As the program progressed, his ability to build his system and develop players started to attract more talented players who decided to commit to what he was building. Geno built that program step-by-step, brick-by-brick on the strength of his coaching ability and a message that connected with the players he was recruiting.

It took Geno ten years to build his first National Championship team.
’85-’86 12-15
’86-’87 14-13
’87-’88 17-11
’88-’89 24-6 NCAA 1st Round
’89-’90 25-6 NCAA 2nd Round
’90-’91 29-5 NCAA Final Four
’91-’92 23-11 NCAA 2nd Round
’92-’93 18-11 NCAA 1st Round
’93-’94 30-3 NCAA Elite Eight
’94-’95 35-0 NCAA Champions

Success spawns success. Some of the best players in the nation have come to UCONN because they recognized Geno’s reputation for developing players to get the most out of their ability, and they wanted to play a part in continuing the level of excellence Geno built from nothing 32 years ago.

Bobby Thigpen
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Bobby Thigpen » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:40 pm

If I may ask, what is the point of this thread other than for you to copy past stuff from Geno? I mean, this is 109 posts and 5 pages of you copying and pasting things to yourself.

Smik
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Smik » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:24 pm

I love to pop in and read this thread from time to time. I find it enlightening. I appreciate the read, no matter the cause. Thanks.