Building a Dynasty

For the civil discussion of girls basketball.
gbbfan1
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Re: Building a Dynasty

Post by gbbfan1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:56 pm

"He's going to push you to the limit where you break. And the minute you break, he wants to see are you going to fight him back or are you going to just lie down".-Diana Taurasi

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:30 pm

Questions Watching a Potential Recruit
1. Can I see myself coaching this kid? Can I interact with this kid? Will this kid listen to me?
2. Do I even want to talk to her? I don't think she's very unselfish. I think she's very selfish. Every time she's open, she shoots. Every time she's not open, she shoots. She doesn't do a good job of making her teammates better-wants all the attention for herself- a moaner? Constantly complains about calls against her; calls out her teammates for mistakes? ....Pouts if she's subbed out...body language?
3. Does she want to pass the ball...can she pass the ball...will she pass the ball, if a teammate is open?
4. Does she have the ability to communicate with teammates...coaches...people in general?

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:30 am

Parents
“Kids inherently want to be good teammates…most kids when they’re on a team…you go watch 7-year-olds or 8-year-olds, they wanna be good teammates, you watch ‘em play…when they get a little bit older, and they start having a little more success, and then the parents get involved, they become not-so-great teammates…me, me, me. I didn’t score so, why should I be happy? I’m not getting enough minutes, so why should I be happy? I try, when we go recruiting, to identify those kids who have a tremendous interest in being great teammates. We’re not always successful. I’ve had guys who were really hard to coach…and you can trace that, generally, to the parent-without question.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:16 pm

"What those 11 Championships mean to me is how many great players I've had, how many great people have come through our program."

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:00 am

“As a head coach, you’re probably only as good as your players and your assistants.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:39 am

“My Bad”
“You show ‘em, ‘Set a screen like this, and then they set it completely different…’What happened?...’Uh, my bad’. ‘What, you only got one job to do, set a good screen…or, ‘Throw this pass’…Ok, here’s a guy wide open ready to shoot the ball, and they throw it over here…’What kind of pass was that? ‘Uh, my bad’… ’What? You got one job to do, throw the pass right here, how hard is that?’…’Ah, my bad’… and we’re supposed to go, ‘That’s okay, sweetheart, we’ll get it next time’…What next time? You lose in the National Championship game, we don’t say, ‘Can I do that again tomorrow?’ Huh,uh.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:53 pm

“As far as his intensity, attention to detail, or high standards…that’s one of my most favorite parts of playing for him…we become him almost…and we start to think like him…the expectations we put on ourselves…That’s the mark of a good leader. The people that you’re leading start to think the way you do…take pride in the little things…so sometimes I feel like I’m a walking Coach Auriemma ‘machine’.”- Maya Moore (’08-’11)

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Shot Selection
“The biggest thing, probably, that I found in the last ten years is too many teams play too fast, and they’re out of control…From the whole AAU nonsense where shot selection is just a suggestion…shot selection, to me, is the biggest killer of offense. Why?...The wrong guy is takin’ the wrong shots…What happens? You can’t rebound ‘cause guys don’t know the shot’s goin’ up…You’re out of balance…Now you’re givin’ up layups at the other end. Shot selection may be the most important thing you can teach your team.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:11 am

Comparison to Men
“The sports world is dominated by people who are geared towards idolizing men’s sports, and we live in a culture where you not only want to exalt this group, you have to demean that group because just exalting this group doesn’t make you feel any good anymore. You can’t just say, ‘See this? This is amazing’…and that seems to be the way people treat women’s basketball…It’s not enough that men’s basketball is better than women’s basketball...You would never do that in women’s tennis…You would never say, ‘Well, Serena Williams, she’s not Pete Sampras…and Katie Ledecki, you would never say, ‘She can’t be that good, she only swims against women. She’s not Michael Phelps’. You’d never say that. You’d appreciate them for what they do in the environment that they do it in, against the competition that’s lined up against them…But for some reason, in women’s basketball, there’s always that comparison to men.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:06 am

How We Lead
“The way we lead, I think, is say, ‘Look, I’ll trust you until you prove to me you can’t be trusted’. You know, you’re like a general who’s watching a battle…You’re not exactly there, that person out there on that battlefield has gotta make that decision-right now…He can’t say, ‘Hold it, stop shooting at me while I check with him…doesn’t work that way…’Hey, should I…Whadda you think I should do here?’…You missed it…opportunity’s gone already…You want players to think for themselves and then worry about the consequences later…That’s part of being a leader.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 am

“In the 2001 Final Four, we led Notre Dame by 18 at halftime, and we lost…We had a team meeting, and I thought Coach was going to be like, ‘You guys tried…’ No. He just went down the line and pretty much ripped every single person…We all walked out of that locker room so angry, that we started the mission right there for the next season.”-Diana Taurasi (UCONN not only won the National Championship the next season, but also ’03 and ’04).
Last edited by gbbfan1 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:49 pm

“I believe the biggest challenge is coaching the mental aspect of the game.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:03 am

“I’m probably one of those people who’s constantly tryin’ to figure out how to do what I do better…like, I’m an idea guy, I like to think where are we gonna be five years from now…where do we wanna be down the road?...You worked really hard to get here…Well, if everybody else stops workin’, you’ll be fine…but if you’re here and you wanna get there, you’re not gonna get there by doing exactly what you’ve been doing…there’s a big difference between adjusting something and having to fix it ‘cause it’s broken.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:23 am

“Coach Auriemma taught me so much about how to be a good teammate, how to be a professional, how to work hard. And those are things that stay with you forever.”-Diana Taurasi

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Freshman Learning Curve
“Freshman learning curve? Depends on how well coached they were in high school, what kinds of instincts they have. Some Freshmen’s learning curve takes about a month…two months…they got it…’cause they’re smart, they’ve had great coaching, great instincts…some Freshmen’s learning curve lasts until their Jr. year…You’re still telling them and showing them the exact same things when they were Freshmen, and they still don’t get it.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:18 am

“I don’t hire good coaches, I hire good people. If they turn out to be good coaches, too, that’s a plus.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:02 pm

“We don’t work on something until we do it right. We work on it until we can’t do it wrong.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:00 am

“Nothing you face in a game comes close to the challenges placed on you in practice.”-Sue Bird (’99-’02; ’99-’00, ’01-’02 National Champions).

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:21 am

“Recruiting enthusiastic kids is harder than it’s ever been. Because every kid watches tv, and they watch the NBA or whatever sport they watch, and what they see is people are being really cool, so they think that’s how they’re gonna act. They haven’t figured out which foot to use as a pivot foot and they’re gonna act like they’re really good players. You see it all the time…at every level. So recruiting players that are really upbeat and lovin’ life, love the game, and have tremendous appreciation for when their teammates do something great…is hard, really hard.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:00 am

“ I always wished I could take a year off, and just go watch practices. I would go mostly to NBA practices. I’d like to see how people get their offense done quickly without wasting a lot of time. …I’d see what drills they’d do when you don’t have a lot of time to practice…How do their best players react when they’re being coached.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:08 am

Camera in the Locker Room
“We get asked to do this all the time… when we go in the locker room before the game…You watch some of those pregame speeches…they are…they’re a train wreck…because, number one, there’s a camera in there, and so the coach…do you really want to be who you are?...and , that, so you’re kind of like holding back…or you know there’s a camera, ‘Lemme put on a show for the camera…let everybody know how great I am in pregame speeches’…And I’ve always thought none of it’s real…’cause I’ve never heard a coach talk the way some of the coaches talk…so when they ask me to do it all the time I go, ‘Nope. Sorry. Can’t do it’…and, um, I think it’s better that way…I get to be myself, the players get to be themselves…believe me, from a strategy standpoint, I’m not saying anything different than the other coach is saying. I mean whaddaya gonna say? It’s all the same, ‘Hey, guys, we gotta rebound…we gotta get back in transition’…Of course you do, I mean it’s all the same thing…It’s just, uh, I just think there’s gotta be some part of what you do that’s really personal, and that’s our personal time.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:50 am

Interviewer: "A lot of coaches come to practice to try and absorb the things that you and your coaching staff do. What has been the biggest takeaway, you think, for these coaches when they talk to you later?"
Geno: "Well, it usually has to do with, um, the communication that goes on in practice. The pace that we practice at...the sustained intensity level that, um, they see, and players are held accountable...Those are things that are repeated to us all the time...The biggest one is, players are held accountable...No matter whether it's your best player or your walk-on...Everybody's held accountable."

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:39 am

“Just be great at what you’re good at. You know you’re really good at something. Whatever it is, identify it, and work your brains out to be great at it.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:46 am

“I treat all my players equally, but not the same.”

gbbfan1

Post by gbbfan1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:47 pm

Geno and Refs
"I used to think they’re out to get us ‘cause we’re UCONN…the thought we were being treated differently than the many programs…But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve taken on the notion that I think is accurate…officials are never as good as you want them to be, ever…But after the game, when you look at the film, generally they’re never as bad as you thought they were, either…My relations with referees? Pretty good, actually very good…I betcha I complain less than any coach at this level in the country…We play against some people who regularly spend as much time working the officials as they do figuring out how to coach their team…I won’t tell you which game it was, but after the first possession, one of the officials came runnin’ down by…I say, ‘What the h#ll are they b#tchin’ about?’ And the ref goes, ‘Everything.’ I say, ‘The game’s three minutes old!’ But that’s how some people approach the game…it works against you…I just let it be…So my position on refs has evolved over the years…There’s only a couple that I hope I don’t see anymore."