1A-2A Regional Seedings

For the civil discussion of small school boys basketball.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

1A-2A Regional Seedings

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:19 pm

Here's how the seeds broke down among the 1A and 2A schools in central Illinois:

1A

ISU Super-Sectional

Ridgeview Sectional

Sub-Sectional A
#1. Cissna Park
2. Champaign Judah Christian
3. LeRoy
4. Decatur Lutheran
5. Milford
6. Fisher
7. Heyworth
8. Mt. Pulaski
#9. Farmer City Blue Ridge
10. Cerro Gordo [Coop]
11. Danville Schlarman
12. Armstrong
13. Forsyth Decatur Christian
14. Urbana University

Sub-Sectional B
1. Gardner-South Wilmington
2. Grant Park
3. Flanagan-Cornell
4. St. Anne
5. Ridgeview
6. Bloomington Cornerstone Christian Academy
#7. Dwight
8. Streator Woodland
9. Cullom Tri-Point
10. Crete Illinois Lutheran
11. Lexington
12. Normal Calvary Christian Academy
13. Donovan

Serena Sectional

Sub-Sectional A
1. Ottawa Marquette
2. Wethersfield
3. Roanoke-Benson
#4. Princeville
#5. Annawan
6. ROWVA [Coop]
7. Galva
8. Woodhull AlWood [Coop]
9. LaMoille [Coop]
10. DePue
11. Henry-Senachwine
12. Stark County
13. Varna Midland
14. Washburn (Lowpoint-W.)

Jacksonville Bowl Super-Sectional

Lewistown Sectional

Sub-Sectional A
1. Elmwood
2. Delavan
3. Brimfield
4. Lewistown
5. Abingdon-Avon
6. Peoria Christian
7. Illini Bluffs
#8. Peoria Heights
9. Biggsville West Central
10. London Mills Spoon River Valley [Coop]
#11. Monmouth United
12. Bushnell-Prairie City
13. Sciota West Prairie

Sub-Sectional B
1. Concord Triopia
2. Camp Point Central
#3. Payson Seymour
#4. Illini Central
5. Springfield Calvary
6. Springfield Lutheran
7. Liberty
8. Mt. Sterling Brown County
9. Mendon Unity
10. Augusta Southeastern
11. Greenview
12. Hartsburg-Emden
13. South Fulton

Okawville Sectional

Sub-Sectional A
1. Winchester West Central
2. Jacksonville Routt
3. Barry Western
#4. New Berlin
5. Franklin [Coop]
#6. Carrollton
7. Greenfield [Coop]
8. White Hall North Greene
9. Raymond Lincolnwood [Coop]
10. Pawnee
11. Griggsville-Perry
12. Jacksonville ISD
13. Pleasant Hill

2A

NIU Super-Sectional

Peotone Sectional

Sub-Sectional A
1. El Paso-Gridley
#2. Fieldcrest
3. Watseka
4. Seneca
5. Braidwood Reed-Custer
6. Somonauk
#7. Momence
8. Clifton Central
9. Herscher
10. Gilman Iroquois West
11. Wilmington

Port Byron Riverdale Sectional

Sub-Sectional B
1. Spring Valley Hall
2. Byron
3. Shabbona Indian Creek [Coop]
4. Rockford Christian
5. Manlius Bureau Valley
#6. Princeton
7. Winnebago
8. Oregon
9. Granville Putnam County
#10. Poplar Grove North Boone
11. Peru St. Bede

UIS Super-Sectional

Riverton Sectional

Sub-Sectional A
1. Warsaw [Coop]
2. Dee-Mack
#3. Tremont
4. Eureka
5. Farmington
6. Peoria Quest
#7. Monmouth-Roseville
8. Knoxville
9. Midwest Central
10. Carthage Illini West
11. Havana

Sub-Sectional B
#1. Williamsville
2. Pleasant Plains
3. PORTA
4. Riverton
5. Auburn
6. Virden North Mac
7. Athens
8. Beardstown
9. Rushville-Industry
#10. Pittsfield
11. Carlinville

Pairings will be released tomorrow afternoon.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Re: 1A-2A Regional Seedings

Post by deejay » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:16 am

DeeMack gets the #2 seed and is rewarded with a possible rematch with host Tremont. Can’t get tougher than that.
go cubs go!

greenhornet
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by greenhornet » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:51 pm

deejay wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:16 am
DeeMack gets the #2 seed and is rewarded with a possible rematch with host Tremont. Can’t get tougher than that.
in their gym, nonetheless. as a eureka fan i'd much rather take my chances with west hancock (if we can get by m-r). wh has been struggling and we played them to one point at macomb, basically a home game for them.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:19 pm

I would look for a possible upset at Tremont. Quest and Farmington could be sleepers. But you are correct, WH might as well be playing at home. That side of the bracket is much weaker.
go cubs go!

Vikingfan05
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Vikingfan05 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:21 pm

deejay wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:19 pm
I would look for a possible upset at Tremont. Quest and Farmington could be sleepers. But you are correct, WH might as well be playing at home. That side of the bracket is much weaker.
How is West Hancock bascially playing at home when they have to travel to Monmouth which is a good hour or so away? I agree the Tremont regional is tougher, but when you are rewarded the #1 seed like West Hancock was (and deserved it), they are going to get the favorable match up.

However, like someone else said West Hancock has been struggling a little bit, but have played a lot of tough games in a short stretch, and has done fairly well in that stretch. They beat a decent Keokuk, IA team on the road by 6, a Keokuk team that doesn't have a great record but plays a tough schedule themselves and been in a lot of close games. They also went to Quincy Notre Dame and also only lost by 9. The Titans also avegend an earlier loss to Camp Point by beating them on the road by 4, and then beat Unity Saturday to finish off the regular season. All of that happened in one week.

The Titans may be without their 6'5 junior Lucas Dorethy who injured his knee in the Camp Point game and may be out this week, which would be a big loss if they can get by IW/Knoxville winner and possibly have a rematch with Eureka.

Vikingfan05
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Vikingfan05 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:43 am

greenhornet wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:51 pm
deejay wrote:
in their gym, nonetheless. as a eureka fan i'd much rather take my chances with west hancock (if we can get by m-r). wh has been struggling and we played them to one point at macomb, basically a home game for them.
Playing at Western Hall in Macomb is nowhere near close to a home game for West Hancock.

greenhornet
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by greenhornet » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:38 am

Vikingfan05 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:43 am
greenhornet wrote:
deejay wrote:
Playing at Western Hall in Macomb is nowhere near close to a home game for West Hancock.
it was that night for sure.

i'm hoping eureka can get by m-r and rematch west hancock. that macomb game was really good. west hancock will have a problem inside if dorethy can't play. he helped clog the lane defensively and took a defender off of hammel who had a huge game. west hancock appears to be struggling, was really surprised they were played so close by augusta and camp point, although cpc is the prototypical grinder type team.

greenhornet
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by greenhornet » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:41 am

deejay wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:19 pm
quest is the sleeper here. i think it's a bad matchup for dee-mack. quest beat them 44-42 early in the year. dee-mack relies on ball pressure, something quest handles pretty well. scheurman will have to step up and big and attack the lane for dee mack to pull it off.

Vikingfan05
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Vikingfan05 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:43 pm

greenhornet wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:38 am
Vikingfan05 wrote:
greenhornet wrote:

i'm hoping eureka can get by m-r and rematch west hancock. that macomb game was really good. west hancock will have a problem inside if dorethy can't play. he helped clog the lane defensively and took a defender off of hammel who had a huge game. west hancock appears to be struggling, was really surprised they were played so close by augusta and camp point, although cpc is the prototypical grinder type team.
I was at the Southeastern game, nearly deserved to lose that one, just not a lot of intensity shown by the Titans and the Suns came out ready to play, I give a lot of credit to them. Camp Point is a good win, I know Eureka handled them in the semifinals of the Macomb tourney, but they are a 22 win team I believe. Most likely Eureka would be the favorite to win the regional with Dorethy out, all we have is youth on the bench and no size or much varsity experience. I should note Camp Point is really the only team this year that hs defended West Hancock how they should be. They face guarded Hammel both games, and still whenever he caught the ball they ran another guy at him right away, making him give it up most times. Drew Martins, a junior, has stepped up for the Titans quite a bit lately and has scored in double figures quite a bit this second half of the season.

With the close game to Southeastern, I wasn't sure how West Hancock would be that final week which was supposed to be five games (Liberty at home was cancelled), but going 3-1 on the road with the lone loss to a really good QND team makes me think they are playing better.

greenhornet
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by greenhornet » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Vikingfan05 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:43 pm
greenhornet wrote:
Vikingfan05 wrote:

I was at the Southeastern game, nearly deserved to lose that one, just not a lot of intensity shown by the Titans and the Suns came out ready to play, I give a lot of credit to them. Camp Point is a good win, I know Eureka handled them in the semifinals of the Macomb tourney, but they are a 22 win team I believe. Most likely Eureka would be the favorite to win the regional with Dorethy out, all we have is youth on the bench and no size or much varsity experience. I should note Camp Point is really the only team this year that hs defended West Hancock how they should be. They face guarded Hammel both games, and still whenever he caught the ball they ran another guy at him right away, making him give it up most times. Drew Martins, a junior, has stepped up for the Titans quite a bit lately and has scored in double figures quite a bit this second half of the season.

With the close game to Southeastern, I wasn't sure how West Hancock would be that final week which was supposed to be five games (Liberty at home was cancelled), but going 3-1 on the road with the lone loss to a really good QND team makes me think they are playing better.
that's good information. eureka has to get by m-r first, not a gimme in their home gym.

eureka has played only one game in 12 days since taking #3 2A GMCS to overtime, and that was a close overtime loss to 1A flanagan. hopefully there is no lull tomorrow night--i know monmouth is athletic at the guard position. there might also be a revenge factor for the football guys after the tough playoff loss.

i agree you have to hang on hammel (he's very, very good midrange and moving to the rim) and make the other guys beat you. i can see why cpc gives them trouble--one of the strongest physical teams i've seen in 2A, just not a ton of basketball skill. interior defense will be an issue for WH if dorethy can't go. eureka has a good shot to win this but must play sharp.

greenhornet
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by greenhornet » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:42 pm

i should add too, by vikings i guess you mean nauvoo-calusa, so can't rule out the pinkston factor. that dude is tough to beat.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Quest defeated Dee-Mack tonight 36-35. Gators will face Tremont/Farmington winner Friday night in Tremont.

Vikingfan05
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Vikingfan05 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:07 am

greenhornet wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:42 pm
i should add too, by vikings i guess you mean nauvoo-calusa, so can't rule out the pinkston factor. that dude is tough to beat.
Yes, I went to Nauvoo-Colusa and have followed Pinkston coached teams for a long time now.

Vikingfan05
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Vikingfan05 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:10 am

greenhornet wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:38 pm
Vikingfan05 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:43 pm
greenhornet wrote:

that's good information. eureka has to get by m-r first, not a gimme in their home gym.

eureka has played only one game in 12 days since taking #3 2A GMCS to overtime, and that was a close overtime loss to 1A flanagan. hopefully there is no lull tomorrow night--i know monmouth is athletic at the guard position. there might also be a revenge factor for the football guys after the tough playoff loss.

i agree you have to hang on hammel (he's very, very good midrange and moving to the rim) and make the other guys beat you. i can see why cpc gives them trouble--one of the strongest physical teams i've seen in 2A, just not a ton of basketball skill. interior defense will be an issue for WH if dorethy can't go. eureka has a good shot to win this but must play sharp.

I knew Camp Point would be pretty solid this year, and they are always a physcial, grind it out type of team. Camp Point is actually a 1A team and will play the winner of Payson/Liberty for the regional title on Friday night. Camp Point also went to the state championship gamein football this past fall, otherwise they may have had even a few more wins in the Pittsfield turkey tourney to begin the year.

West Hancock seemed to have a tough game with Knoxville due to always having two guys near Hammel at all times from the sounds of it, but I'm glad the rest of the Titans stepped up to get the win.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:59 am

Tough loss for the Chiefs, but they struggled against more athletic teams and Quest is very athletic. They were carried by Neal Schuerman and relied a lot on outside shooting. Teams with more athletic guards can stop that and they did as I predicted.
go cubs go!

Vikingfan05
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Vikingfan05 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:41 pm

Mon-Rose upsets Eureka 50-47 and will take on West Hancock Friday. As a Titan fan, I don't feel to good about this game. West Hancock is 2-0 against Mon/Rose this year, including a win in Monmouth but that was regular season and they won't have 6'5 Lucas Dorethy in there either. The only good news is they can at least match up to them size wise, but Mon-Rose will have the home court advantage and are clearly playing well right now. If the Titans can handle their pressure and the physicality that Mon-Rose will bring and Hammel can get hot, then you just never know.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 pm

Tremont defeated Farmington 58-51 tonight. That means the 4 regional finals that feed into the Riverton sectional look like this:

-Williamsville: Williamsville vs. Riverton
-Tremont: Quest vs. Tremont
-Monmouth-Roseville: West Hancock vs. Monmouth-Roseville
-Pittsfield: Pleasant Plains vs. PORTA

Vikingfan05
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Vikingfan05 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:17 pm

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 pm
Tremont defeated Farmington 58-51 tonight. That means the 4 regional finals that feed into the Riverton sectional look like this:

I'll have a little fun and go with Willamsville, Tremont, Mon/Rose, and Plains. I hope West Hancock can pull it out, but with no Dorethy in the middle to grab rebounds and be somewhat of a defensive presence, I have a hard time seeing West Hancock picking up the victory. It's also extremely tough to beat the host school on their home floor in the regionals.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:56 pm

Vikingfan05 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:17 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 pm

I'll have a little fun and go with Willamsville, Tremont, Mon/Rose, and Plains. I hope West Hancock can pull it out, but with no Dorethy in the middle to grab rebounds and be somewhat of a defensive presence, I have a hard time seeing West Hancock picking up the victory. It's also extremely tough to beat the host school on their home floor in the regionals.
I would like to point out that PORTA did defeat Plains when they met earlier this season though that game was played before Christmas.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Plains over PORTA 50-34. Game was a lot closer than the final score indicated. Cardinals go on 15-2 run over the final 4:43.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:17 pm

1 of the 2 #1 seeds in the Riverton sectional goes down. 4 seed Riverton upsets regional host and #1 seed Williamsville 39-31.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:19 pm

West Hancock over Monmouth-Roseville 39-32.

West Hancock will play Pleasant Plains in the Riverton sectional Wednesday night.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:37 pm

Here are the scores from tonight's regional title games involving central Illinois schools:

Wethersfield 63, Roanoke-Benson 56
Jacksonville Routt 61, Barry Western 48
Moweaqua Central A&M 70, Buffalo Tri-City 43
Grant Park 52, Ridgeview 44
Concord Triopia 55, Calvary 39
Elmwood 39, Abingdon-Avon 23
Camp Point Central 41, Payson Seymour 34
Winchester West Central 57, New Berlin 34
Peoria Christian 63, Illini Bluffs 53
Ottawa Marquette 55, Princeville 43
Fieldcrest 59, Watseka 45
El Paso-Gridley 57, Seneca 42
West Hancock 39, Monmouth-Roseville 32
Pleasant Plains 50, PORTA 34
Tremont 65, Quest 56
Riverton 39, Williamsville 31

I'll post the sectional schedules at some point this weekend.

Vikingfan05
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Vikingfan05 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:20 pm

Real gutty win for West Hancock, super proud of how they have played all year long. They may not last long in the Riverton sectional, but they will be prepared to battle Plains. If Hammel can go nuts in the sectional, then you just never know what the Titans can do.

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:02 am

Crazy game at Momence. EPG and Seneca combine for 13 three-pointers in the first half and EPG leads 40-26 at intermission. Seneca scored 6 threes in the first quarter, including a 4-point play, for all 19 of their points. Seneca had 11 threes for the game.
Then everything went cold and EPG outscored Seneca 17-16 in the second half with only three field goals and won their first Regional since 2011 by a 57-42 score. Teron Fairchild scored 30 for EPG with 7 threes.