2A State Tournament Thread

For the civil discussion of small school boys basketball.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

2A State Tournament Thread

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:51 pm

Here's the schedule of games for Friday:

5:30 PM: Chicago Corliss (20-8) vs. Chicago Orr (24-11)
7:15 PM: Nashville (34-2) vs. Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley (32-2)

Thoughts? Predictions?

greenhornet
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Re: 2A State Tournament Thread

Post by greenhornet » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:29 am

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:51 pm
Here's the schedule of games for Friday:

5:30 PM: Chicago Corliss (20-8) vs. Chicago Orr (24-11)
7:15 PM: Nashville (34-2) vs. Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley (32-2)

Thoughts? Predictions?
orr over corliss (beat them by 17 a month ago)
gcms over nashville

gcms over orr

it would be easy to pick orr here, but not so fast. the fact is, this gcms team has everything needed to pull this off. holt is athletic enough to defend drivers, the strength of barnes will factor in. and the biggest thing: intangible ability to JUST WIN. time and time again they've been on the ropes and found a way. orr will not have a seen a style like gcms will bring. i think they pull the rare (ever??) football/basketball state championship.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:31 pm

greenhornet wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:29 am
i think they pull the rare (ever??) football/basketball state championship.
I could be wrong but I feel like one of the Maroa-Forsyth teams in the early to mid-2000s was the last to do the double in the same school year.

rocketfan44
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by rocketfan44 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:11 pm

Orr over Nashville for the title. Interesting, though, that only one team has scored more than 50 vs. Nashville all year, so it could be close.
Corliss over GCMS for third, making it their third post-season victory over an HOIC team.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:46 pm

Here's some info I could find online about potential college plans for the players playing in the 2A Tournament this weekend:

Chicago Corliss
-Dhashon Dyson: Undecided
-Leondre Townsen: Undecided

Chicago Orr
-Tujautae Williams: Drawn interest from Buffalo, New Mexico, Minnesota, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Detroit, Texas Tech, SIUE, DePaul, and Northwestern State
-Greg Outlaw: Drawn interest from UIC
-Sherif Kenney: Offers from UConn, Arizona State, Boston College, Penn State, Kansas State, Rutgers and DePaul.

Nashville
-Bryson Bultman: McKendree
-Carson Parker: Being recruited by EIU, McKendree, and SEMO. Only a junior.

Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley
-Ryland Holt: Minnesota State
-Bryce Barnes: Illinois (football as preferred walk-on)
-Connor Birky: Hesston College (NJCAA D-II school north of Wichita, KS)
-Ben Freehill: Oklahoma State (football as preferred walk-on)
-Lane Short: Eureka College (football)
-Josh Bleich: McKendree (football)

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:05 am

Was at games yesterday, and Chicago schools brought virtually no fans. CPS insisted on having 2 schools in Tourney IHSA gave in, but this is really ridiculous. Not sure how many titles it takes for them to move Orr to 3A. I heard chanting 3A during their game.
go cubs go!

sshoopster
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by sshoopster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:39 pm

Nashville never saw the level of athleticism Orr put on 'em before. Downstate boys play the game on the floor. Boys from the 'hood play it in the air.

SShadowJr
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by SShadowJr » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:49 pm

deejay wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:05 am
Was at games yesterday, and Chicago schools brought virtually no fans. CPS insisted on having 2 schools in Tourney IHSA gave in, but this is really ridiculous. Not sure how many titles it takes for them to move Orr to 3A. I heard chanting 3A during their game.
You're not sure how many titles it takes for the IHSA to move Orr to 3A after 3 championships. How about how many titles will it take for them to move Morton to 4A after 4 3A girls championships in 5 years?

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:32 pm

sshoopster wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:39 pm
Nashville never saw the level of athleticism Orr put on 'em before. Downstate boys play the game on the floor. Boys from the 'hood play it in the air.
Nashville had the defense to keep up with Orr (Orr was first team to put up 50 points on Nashville all season). They didn't have quite the offensive firepower to do so. I don't know if GCMS would have beat Orr but they would have put up more points than Nashville.

rocketfan44
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by rocketfan44 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Per the current policies, IHSA can't "move" Orr to 3A, since they are a boundaried public school. If they were private or non-boundaried public, they would be moved to 3A per the success factor. Orr could always elect to play up a level, but that is their decision.

Blue-Jay Grad . . . Nashville allowed 52 points to Duquoin earlier this year (per the team info on the IHSA website), but your point is well taken. They were an amazing defensive team.

sshoopster
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by sshoopster » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:53 pm

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:32 pm
sshoopster wrote:
Nashville had the defense to keep up with Orr (Orr was first team to put up 50 points on Nashville all season). They didn't have quite the offensive firepower to do so. I don't know if GCMS would have beat Orr but they would have put up more points than Nashville.
Oh, so you "don't know if GCMS would have beaten Orr"? Here's a clue: GCMS beat Corliss 75-66 OT, Orr beat Corliss 83-50. Please.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:45 pm

sshoopster wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:53 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:32 pm
sshoopster wrote:
Oh, so you "don't know if GCMS would have beaten Orr"? Here's a clue: GCMS beat Corliss 75-66 OT, Orr beat Corliss 83-50. Please.
I know what the scores of the two games you mentioned were. I saw the games in person. My point wasn't that GCMS would have beaten Orr. Far from it. My point was that they would have likely put up more points on offense than Nashville did. No need to get defensive about what I said.

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 pm

Here's what could have been an interesting situation. IHSA is moving to a two-year average for enrollment and Orr's enrollment is 328. IHSA is also moving the cutoff between 1A/2A to 300. In the IHSA's school directory, Orr's enrollment is listed as 275, which means it was a possibility that Orr could have been 1A next year... (Another side note: Orr only has two sports: boys and girls basketball and boys and girls track. Don't know if they co-op in anything else.)