Longtime Nokomis head coach Steve Kimbro to retire at the end of this season

For the civil discussion of small school boys basketball.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Longtime Nokomis head coach Steve Kimbro to retire at the end of this season

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:09 pm

https://www.sj-r.com/sports/20190723/st ... ext-season

Kimbro's upcoming 39th season will be his last. He has only had 3 teams that have finished with a sub-.500 record, none of which have happened since the 1984-85 season. Kimbro is currently 5th on the all-time wins (816) list in the state and will likely pass former Manual head coach Dick Van Scyoc (832) for 4th this season.

Kimbro’s teams have won 15 regional titles, five sectionals and four supersectionals. They went to state in 1983, 1996, 2008 and 2013. The 2008 team reached the state title game before losing to St. Anne 67-61. The 2013 team made it back to Peoria, losing to eventual champion Illini Central in the semifinals before beating Lanark Eastland 44-42 for third place.

Cappy
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Re: Longtime Nokomis head coach Steve Kimbro to retire at the end of this season

Post by Cappy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:16 pm

off topic here but I did not realize til today that Bud Foster, long
time VaTech FB coach (DC), is out of Nokomis. Sounds like he got the old "thank you for you years of service, but please leave" memo. I used to know a lady from Nokomis thru Claude Kracic's baseball camps who'd bring her kids to the camp. She told me that there is really a competitive spirit down there amongst those little towns----Nokomis and Cobden and Morrisonville and that area. She said if you're not from a small town, which I'm not, then I probably couldn't really grasp how important, and sometimes asinine, it really is. Later I knew a guy in Springfield from there and I knew what she meant about the asinine part. Anyway, best to coach Kimbro and now he is free to go heckle Neal Alexander teams anytime he wants.