Anybody Else Enjoy This Years Tournament?

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
CIS
All World
All World

Anybody Else Enjoy This Years Tournament?

Post by CIS » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:24 pm

I really enjoyed all the tournament games this year from what I saw, especially 2A-4A. Some great games and outstanding individuals...anybody else enjoy the games this year?

GoBirdsGo II
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Re: Anybody Else Enjoy This Years Tournament?

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:37 pm

CIS wrote:I really enjoyed all the tournament games this year from what I saw, especially 2A-4A. Some great games and outstanding individuals...anybody else enjoy the games this year?
Hate to be a negative Ninny, but, had Lincoln(or any other local team of interest(Illini Central last year) not been there, my interest for the tournament is about nill these days. A LOT of my other huge Basketball fan friends feel the same. 4 classes has absolutely $ucked all the life out it. The proof is in the attendance.
Knute Rockne .. "They'll give ya the ball and you just run with it." George Gip .. "How far?"

wolverine55
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by wolverine55 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:41 pm

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
CIS wrote:I really enjoyed all the tournament games this year from what I saw, especially 2A-4A. Some great games and outstanding individuals...anybody else enjoy the games this year?
Hate to be a negative Ninny, but, had Lincoln(or any other local team of interest(Illini Central last year) not been there, my interest for the tournament is about nill these days. A LOT of my other huge Basketball fan friends feel the same. 4 classes has absolutely *** all the life out it.

While we all like to complain about four classes, I can't imagine these sentiments are that different than how most fans felt in the two-class system. For me, I enjoyed watching the games this year, because I had rooting interest for Mendon Unity in 1A and some marquee teams made the 3A/4A titles. For me, it's all about who makes it and the change to four classes doesn't really effect me. In fact, four classes probably heightened my interest this year, because Unity probably doesn't make it in the old two-class system.
18 5 7 7 9 5 19 21 3 11 19 4 9 3 11

CIS
All World
All World

Post by CIS » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:46 pm

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Hate to be a negative Ninny, but, had Lincoln(or any other local team of interest(Illini Central last year) not been there, my interest for the tournament is about nill these days. A LOT of my other huge Basketball fan friends feel the same. 4 classes has absolutely $ucked all the life out it. The proof is in the attendance.
Well normally I would agree with you and I still don't like four classes but I did enjoy the games as a pure basketball fan. But that's just me. As far as local teams, I think most casual fans feel the same as you, no matter what year. If a local team is not in, then there is not much interest. What helped the tournament when it came to Peoria were the incredible Manual teams that drew a lot of local fans at that time. There were some big crowds then. Truth be known, as much as I blame the four classes for attendance woes, and I think it is part to blame, IHSA basketball has been struggle for years with a downward attendance trend.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:57 am

The move to Peoria with the "new" factor along with the fact Peoria had good teams at the same time helped a lot early on. I saw some 2a match ups in the 2 class Champaign days that were empty so it certainly isn't new. The big school teams as a general rule just don't travel particularly now that you can watch games or even get live updates on your cell phone or computer.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:46 am

Redbird CC Fan wrote: The big school teams as a general rule just don't travel particularly now that you can watch games or even get live updates on your cell phone or computer.
When you can sit at home for free and have a cold drink and snacks that don't cost 10 times more while watching free on a big screen with replays. Unless it is your school and you're a fan that goes to all their games.....
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:56 am

I think the 3A/4A tournaments were solid. The only game where the arena seemed really empty was the 3A Semi between Morgan Park and Orr. I didn't go to the 3A 3rd place game, however I did see Rockford brought less than they did on Friday so maybe that was just as empty. Lincoln brought a ton of people for the 3A Semi and even more for the Final. Benet was WELL represented. Stevenson brought a lot of people Friday night and Whitney Young brought a good crowd. Edwardsville was a bit disappointing, IMO.
"The Pack Leader"

CIS
All World
All World

Post by CIS » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:31 pm

salz4life wrote:I think the 3A/4A tournaments were solid. The only game where the arena seemed really empty was the 3A Semi between Morgan Park and Orr. I didn't go to the 3A 3rd place game, however I did see Rockford brought less than they did on Friday so maybe that was just as empty. Lincoln brought a ton of people for the 3A Semi and even more for the Final. Benet was WELL represented. Stevenson brought a lot of people Friday night and Whitney Young brought a good crowd. Edwardsville was a bit disappointing, IMO.
Benet had a great crowd support and of course Lincoln, being so close helping, brought a ton of fans. You are right, Edwardsville was kind of disappointing in support. Seemed like a good crowd for the 4A championship but it's hard to tell watching on TV - anybody know what the actual figures might have been?

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:09 pm

More mostly empty arena again.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:44 pm

The media wants to put all the blame for lack of attendance on the move to four classes but there is more to it than that. The decision to put CPL teams through the sectional process and not necessarily give the CPL an automatic berth to state has worked for the CPL but backfired for the IHSA. When multiple CPL teams qualify for state (as in 4A) it also means teams are coming down and not bringing the fans that a suburban school would. Then you add in the rise of charter schools (also little fan support) and the number of private schools qualifying (limited fan support) and it is really no wonder attendance has been declining.

There is also the TV/convenience factor cited above. Why pay for something you can watch for free as well as having the option of switching to college games? Another factor rarely if ever mentioned is that it does not seem like schools are sending teams to watch the state finals any more. My wife's high school sent their entire team, coaching staff, and stay girls to watch the games in Champaign. Obviously there were quite a few chaperones as well so that probably meant 25-30 people just from that school. You just do not see that any more and it shows by the empty seats. Many coaches still go but there is a big difference between selling two tickets to a school and selling 20+.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

wolverine55
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by wolverine55 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:47 am

I can't speak for the whole state obviously, but in my area (general Quincy area) attendance for any high school sporting event is not what it was 15 years ago. So, the fact that this seems to be reflected at the state tournament level doesn't surprise me.
18 5 7 7 9 5 19 21 3 11 19 4 9 3 11

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:59 am

wolverine55 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:47 am
I can't speak for the whole state obviously, but in my area (general Quincy area) attendance for any high school sporting event is not what it was 15 years ago. So, the fact that this seems to be reflected at the state tournament level doesn't surprise me.
This has been discussed on here before. Many of the fans around the Peoria area have mentioned that you do not have the lifers attending sporting events like you used to. When I grew up the whole town went to football games and quite a few to basketball games as well. As we have become a more mobile society people are not living in the same towns/cities their entire life as they did in previous generations therefore they are not as invested in attending social activities like sporting events are. They will be around as long as their kids are participating but once the kids have graduated they have moved on to other things.

I understand since day one that the PJS has been against the four classes but their reasoning about that alone being the reason for dwindling is too simplistic. There are many factors that can be cited and they all have some part in it. The IHSA may very well someday decide to move the 3A and 4A championships to the burbs and I cannot say I would blame them as they have to at least try to do something to get fans back. But just looking at the 3A field from this year I would say that Morgan Park, Fenwick, Bloomington, and Lanphier would be just as unlikely to take a bunch of fans to the burbs as they were to Peoria.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

Baseball Junkie
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Baseball Junkie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:12 pm

I thought the games were pretty good,but atmosphere continues to get worse. Very entertaining 3a game to watch. Alot of people around me were all over a official who couldnt seem to keep up with pace of game. He appeared to be 10 steps slow and when he did make a call,he was out of position. Ervin was all over him

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:58 pm

When Marty Hickman was still in charge of the IHSA, "championship Saturday night" was mentioned, because of declining attendance. However the IHSA was more worried that attendance would dwindle Saturday afternoon. They completely missed the point of trying to make Saturday night special by having both title games back to back. So here we are years later, still talking about declining attendance and yet doing nothing. So if they want my two cents worth they have it. But just quit making the excuse that it won't work. You want new ideas, now listen to fans. The IHSA never asks coaches and fans their opinions. Just like the NCAA, the stiff collared AD's make most decisions when most never ever dribbled a basketball.
go cubs go!

Uncle Junior

Post by Uncle Junior » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Like others have said, the games were excellent competitive overtime games. I think if more people had come down to watch these games, they would have had a great time. The IHSA should think about having a concert sometime between games. Get some teeny bopper Disney Channel Star and have all the kids take selfies and stuff. All the big sporting events have concerts anymore. Why not the IHSA Basketball Championships too?
I do my best thinking on the bus. That's how come I don't drive. I don't want to know how. I don't want to learn. See? The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:29 am

If my team makes it I'll watch it, but if they don't I refuse to watch it unless it goes back to two classes or they at least make it 3 classes by combining 3a and 4a. I don't really care what they do to the small schools but the large schools do not need to be split up. 3a schools are just as good if not better than the 4a.

LincolnFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by LincolnFan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:40 pm

We have had season tickets for 30 years or more for the 3a/4a and this years games were very competitive. Every game was exciting to watch. Most years arent like this years. What is sad is the 2 closest teams and the numbers of people they brought. Bloomington had a decent crowd on Friday and since they lost on Friday their crowd on Saturday was poor. Springfield Lanphier's attendance both days were pathetic and that included the minimal amount of students. I even heard they brought a fan bus from Lanphier. When Lincoln played at Lanphier twice this year, neither time time was it close to a sellout. Even at the championship game of the regional. Most of the Chicago teams that have been in it the past few years are the same old ones and maybe their fans just don't get excited about being there. They just get used to it.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:16 pm

LincolnFan wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:40 pm
Springfield Lanphier's attendance both days were pathetic and that included the minimal amount of students. I even heard they brought a fan bus from Lanphier.
They actually had about 3 or 4 student fan buses that they were able to take up there on Friday after a fundraiser by current and retired Lanphier teachers. Also got about $100 (or somewhere around there though that could be wrong) in donated food from Wal-Mart. School isn't in the most economically affluent part of Springfield so it was nice for what students they could bring to come up there.

LincolnFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by LincolnFan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:45 am

This event is why you should keep the tourney downstate. Not always peaceful up north. I know it can happen anywhere but keeping our fingers crossed that it never does.

http://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com ... ican-game/

deadguy35

Post by deadguy35 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:43 am

LincolnFan wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:45 am
This event is why you should keep the tourney downstate. Not always peaceful up north. I know it can happen anywhere but keeping our fingers crossed that it never does.

http://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com ... ican-game/
I don't want to see the tournament leave Central Illinois but it's unlikely that would happen in Hoffman Estates.
Fear is failure, and the forerunner of failure.