Morton Potters

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Morton Potters

Post by O&B 78 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Rodney21 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:10 pm
I do like the new hire though. Best of luck!
And who would that be?
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

JMil684
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by JMil684 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Nobody likes secrets...Spill the beans! :D :D :D

MortonOutsider
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Does anyone ever stop to think why these things are kept confidential to start with?

JMil684
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by JMil684 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:34 am

Matt Franks of Tuscola announced to be the new hire for Morton.

Don't know much about him, but they said he played for Jarrett Brown and coached with him briefly in the past at Tolono Unity.

He's been the head coach at Tuscola the past 6 seasons with an overall record of 67-88 and a career coaching record of 80-126.

Not sure what I think about it as I've never crossed paths with him.

Below is the link to the story.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20170419/m ... ball-coach

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:23 pm

The AD must have seen something about this guy other than Wins and Losses. Hopefully this works out.
go cubs go!

MortonOutsider
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:37 am

Right. Because when a school hires a coach they only consider W/L.
It doesn't matter if he is a good history teacher or a decent human being. </sarcasm>

Morton hired a history teacher who will also coach basketball. His full-time job will be History Teacher. He will have a part-time job as a basketball coach.

bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bigdaddystuck » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:51 am

I agree that it should be more about the academics when hiring for a school district and not about wins and losses. But it is also natural for people to look at what a coach has done on the playing field. Boys basketball is THE boys sport in Morton and has been for a long time. This guy can be the greatest teacher of the game, but if he doesn't produce he will be gone very quickly. As he mentioned he is taking over a program that has been successful and people will expect that success and improvement on it.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner.
Vince Lombardi

JMil684
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by JMil684 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:19 am

I respectfully disagree with the thought that he is a history teacher that coaches part time.

I'm sure Coach Franks applied for the vacant basketball position (not a history position) and was hired by the athletic director (not the superintendent).

Yes, his primary job will be teaching history, but I'm sure if the AD wanted him and he was a math or english teacher, he'd be plugged in there.

A lot of factor go into hires and I get that, but let's not get away from the facts here... He was brought in to coach basketball.

MortonOutsider
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:22 am

This, by JMil84 was just 8 days ago:
JMil684 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:46 am
It is my understanding they haven't even conducted interviews yet...<snip>
JMil84 was wrong about this.
Now he is claiming to know the hiring process (both thought process and actual mechanics) for Morton.
He was wrong then. He is wrong now.

Do you never go to Leaves & Beans?

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:53 am

Trust me. The guys at Leaves n Beans just attempt solve the world problems. Don't care much what happens otherwise.
go cubs go!

Bballnut
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Bballnut » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:42 pm

I find it hard to believe in this age of budget shortfalls, the Potters hired a basketball coach 1st. Yes, they may have got their 1st choice for the position. If so, good for them. But.............., I have to believe the coach had to fit into a vacant teaching position too. In other words, there may have been other options for coach, but no teaching positions open in a specific area(PE). Just my 2 cents
The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

MJ45
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MJ45 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:24 am

Bballnut wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:42 pm
I find it hard to believe in this age of budget shortfalls, the Potters hired a basketball coach 1st. Yes, they may have got their 1st choice for the position. If so, good for them. But.............., I have to believe the coach had to fit into a vacant teaching position too. In other words, there may have been other options for coach, but no teaching positions open in a specific area(PE). Just my 2 cents
When they post a vacancy, it's usually a coaching position and says teaching positions either available or not. But make no mistake, they hire coaches first. They hire coaches who also teach. They don't hire a teacher and ask if they can also coach

buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:53 pm

Morton fans probably aren't too excited about this hire are they?

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:21 pm

:roll: This hire and the football hire are on the new AD. They were not those "slam dunk" hires. Let's just hope they both work out.
go cubs go!

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:14 pm

Spoke with some of local coaches today and nothing but positive remarks on the new coach. The record issue was downplayed because Tuscola is a football school, period.
go cubs go!

buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:22 am

deejay wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:14 pm
Spoke with some of local coaches today and nothing but positive remarks on the new coach. The record issue was downplayed because Tuscola is a football school, period.
He was 13-38 at Shelbyville also. Are they a football school too?

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:53 am

Not sure, since it was his first full time coaching gig. All I can tell you is that rest of the current coaching staff is staying on and they like the hire. Believe he gets board approval tonight.
go cubs go!

MortonOutsider
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:30 am

deejay wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:21 pm
:roll: This hire and the football hire are on the new AD. They were not those "slam dunk" hires. Let's just hope they both work out.
I don't understand this comment.
This isn't professional or even college - it's high school.
It seems some of you really don't have any concept of what the talent pool is out there, what the coaches have to deal with, and what the actual goals of these programs are.

Look, coaches have got to be a little sadistic to sign on for the abuse they take from parents and guys like you. This is especially true in Illinois with our fiscal mess. Who wants to be a HS coach (...and I don't see a lot of you stepping up and grabbing a whistle).
Couple that with the fact that you don't get to pick who lives in your town, so your playing talent pool is uncontrollable.

Ultimately, and I tell my kids coaches this and I have said it to Mr. Jones, I don't care about playing time or wins, I want my kid to develop as a person, teammate, and player.
I am much more impressed by the changes in my child during their time in band, football, and basketball than the number of trophies and W's they put up.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:09 am

MortonOutsider wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:30 am
deejay wrote:
It seems some of you really don't have any concept of what the talent pool is out there, what the coaches have to deal with, and what the actual goals of these programs are.

Look, coaches have got to be a little sadistic to sign on for the abuse they take from parents and guys like you. This is especially true in Illinois with our fiscal mess. Who wants to be a HS coach (...and I don't see a lot of you stepping up and grabbing a whistle).
Couple that with the fact that you don't get to pick who lives in your town, so your playing talent pool is uncontrollable.

Ultimately, and I tell my kids coaches this and I have said it to Mr. Jones, I don't care about playing time or wins, I want my kid to develop as a person, teammate, and player.
I am much more impressed by the changes in my child during their time in band, football, and basketball than the number of trophies and W's they put up.
I have no doubt deejay knows very well what a high school coach deals with and the goals they have. And a successful program at that.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

MortonOutsider
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:26 am

O&B 78 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:09 am
MortonOutsider wrote:
deejay wrote:

I have no doubt deejay knows very well what a high school coach deals with and the goals they have. And a successful program at that.
If his primary concern is Wins, then he doesn't have the best interest of the students at heart.

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:07 am

MortonOutsider wrote:
deejay wrote:

Well some do.
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:46 pm

Hey Morton Outsider; This is a forum for discussing sports. I don't think any hire is a slam dunk, simply because not everyone will agree. I also have no problem with the AD. Again, for many years, we have discussed Sports and not always agree. Other times we bring topics to stimulate discussion. No need to bring into discussion something that isn't. Oh by the way, I am a retired official. Hung mine up before I got too old!!
go cubs go!

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:53 pm

MortonOutsider wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:26 am
O&B 78 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:09 am
MortonOutsider wrote:

If his primary concern is Wins, then he doesn't have the best interest of the students at heart.
As a parent of a former Morton student-athlete, I can tell you that deejay and other members of his family support student-athletes and care about them as people.

I will always remember deejay's contributions, support and friendship as one of the highlights of my kid's 4 years.

Now return to normal programming.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:35 am

illini25 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:53 pm

As a parent of a former Morton student-athlete, I can tell you that deejay and other members of his family support student-athletes and care about them as people.

I will always remember deejay's contributions, support and friendship as one of the highlights of my kid's 4 years.

Now return to normal programming.
This.