Local coverage by PJS?

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Local coverage by PJS?

Post by deejay » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:04 am

I was watching local sports on tv last night and it highlighted Morton’s over Central. Since I am also a subscriber to the newspaper, I went to the Sports section today and found NOTHING! No highlights no box score. The Illinois game got over very late, yet it made Sports front page. No reporters left to cover local teams?
go cubs go!

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Local coverage by PJS?

Post by illini25 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:24 pm

deejay wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:04 am
I was watching local sports on tv last night and it highlighted Morton’s over Central. Since I am also a subscriber to the newspaper, I went to the Sports section today and found NOTHING! No highlights no box score. The Illinois game got over very late, yet it made Sports front page. No reporters left to cover local teams?
Your last sentence pretty much sums it up. School(s) needs to report box score if they want it to appear.

Newspapers are dying. If we want them to remain, we need to support them via subscription, advertising and online subscriptions. That may not be enough though.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:19 pm

From what I can remember it was customary for the home team call in the results if press was not there. Assuming that since Central lost they didn’t feel the need to call it in? Only other comment is that this was a Tuesday night game, which was a pretty light night for local sports. You would think with two large local schools playing they might just appease local readers by having someone there.
go cubs go!

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:44 pm

illini25 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:24 pm
deejay wrote:
Your last sentence pretty much sums it up. School(s) needs to report box score if they want it to appear.

Newspapers are dying. If we want them to remain, we need to support them via subscription, advertising and online subscriptions. That may not be enough though.
PJS cannot provide the service that people would pay for and people are not willing to pay for the limited service they provide. Social media, for better or worse, is about the only place to get information about many high school sports these days. As a Metamora fan I am not able to get Metamora basketball scores as there are no fans posting scores on here or apps like Score Stream. It is almost to the point where if you want to know what happened you’d better go to the game.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:11 am

Canton fans are spoiled with WBYS radio broadcasting all their games, boys and girls.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

Cristobal
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Cristobal » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:38 am

O&B 78 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:11 am
Canton fans are spoiled with WBYS radio broadcasting all their games, boys and girls.
What was the score last night?
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:53 am

59-40 Washington if I remember correctly. 19 point win for sure. Metamora beat Morton by 14 I believe. Sets up a big game in the Den next Friday

Cristobal

Post by Cristobal » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:54 am

O&B 78 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:53 am
59-40 Washington if I remember correctly. 19 point win for sure. Metamora beat Morton by 14 I believe. Sets up a big game in the Den next Friday
Big game no matter what. Should be interesting.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:43 pm

Cristobal wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:54 am
O&B 78 wrote:
You know it is a big game when GBG makes an appearance! :td
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Reggie wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:43 pm
Cristobal wrote:
O&B 78 wrote:
Now it won’t be a big game. Women, children and anyone else breathing will stay away :evil:

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:57 pm

O&B 78 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:12 pm
Reggie wrote:
Cristobal wrote:

Now it won’t be a big game. Women, children and anyone else breathing will stay away :evil:
So you’re saying the Bears will be there?

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:47 pm

Reggie wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:57 pm
O&B 78 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:12 pm
Reggie wrote:

So you’re saying the Bears will be there?
I don’t know what these Bears are you speak of. Kind of remember a football team in Chicago that had that name but they no longer exist. Wish Chicago would get an NFL team again someday. Been something like 3 decades since they had an NFL team it seems. Maybe in 70 some more years after I die they will.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Back to topic. Jim Mattson has tweeted about the lack of coverage today. I still feel local news and local sports and not wire service stuff hours or a day old already on the internet will save papers. More expensive to do but would increase subscriptions and advertising revenues. The paper keeps getting thinner and costs more with less and less news value to the subscribers. I hope the honchos in charge think about it before it’s too late.

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:40 pm

O&B 78 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:04 pm
Back to topic. Jim Mattson has tweeted about the lack of coverage today. I still feel local news and local sports and not wire service stuff hours or a day old already on the internet will save papers. More expensive to do but would increase subscriptions and advertising revenues. The paper keeps getting thinner and costs more with less and less news value to the subscribers. I hope the honchos in charge think about it before it’s too late.
Businesses that turn a deaf ear to customers deserve to go out of business. By abandoning local coverage the PJS has basically told the customer that their wants are not important. Local TV news also seems to be going in tvst direction in that is seems more and more of the 10p news broadcasts are rehashed stories from their network affiliate. Some nights I can forward through the entire broadcast watching only local stories in five minutes. With Twitter and Facebook allowing stories to be posted instantaneously I am not sure that newspapers and local television stations will serve any real purpose in the near future.

Pittstop
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Pittstop » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:22 pm

deejay wrote:
There hasn't been anything in the PJS on that game all week. Still waiting. Peoria High needs to get with it even if the athletic director has to do it.

Also the Morton girls played a great top team from Wisconsin last night for a 58-57 win. Tv stations were there, but again, no article or box score from PJS.
2010 Large School "Pick-Ems" Champion

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Reggie wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:40 pm
O&B 78 wrote:
Businesses that turn a deaf ear to customers deserve to go out of business. By abandoning local coverage the PJS has basically told the customer that their wants are not important. Local TV news also seems to be going in tvst direction in that is seems more and more of the 10p news broadcasts are rehashed stories from their network affiliate. Some nights I can forward through the entire broadcast watching only local stories in five minutes. With Twitter and Facebook allowing stories to be posted instantaneously I am not sure that newspapers and local television stations will serve any real purpose in the near future.
That *** for those of us without Facebook or twitter accounts.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Reggie wrote:
O&B 78 wrote:
Lets not act like this is a local decision though. This decision is coming from the parent company that owns the PJS. Im sure if you asked people (off the record ;) )who actually work at the PJS they would agree with all of this and they arent happy about it either.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:30 pm

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:46 pm
Reggie wrote:
O&B 78 wrote:
Lets not act like this is a local decision though. This decision is coming from the parent company that owns the PJS. Im sure if you asked people (off the record ;) )who actually work at the PJS they would agree with all of this and they arent happy about it either.
When I wrote honchos in charge I meant at Gatehouse corporate. Above everybody at Peoria’s pay grade

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:28 pm

O&B 78 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:30 pm
pndbaseball12 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:46 pm
Reggie wrote:

When I wrote honchos in charge I meant at Gatehouse corporate. Above everybody at Peoria’s pay grade
I was more replying to Reggie saying "The PJS has basically told the customer their wants are not important" Its not the PJS, its Gatehouse making that call. The PJS didnt really have a choice in the matter.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

leopardbutt

Post by leopardbutt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Pittstop wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:22 pm
deejay wrote:
There hasn't been anything in the PJS on that game all week. Still waiting. Peoria High needs to get with it even if the athletic director has to do it.

Also the Morton girls played a great top team from Wisconsin last night for a 58-57 win. Tv stations were there, but again, no article or box score from PJS.
I don't think you have to worry about coverage of Morton from local TV.
If people make fun of you, that probably means you're doing something right. –Evanescence

jim beam
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by jim beam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:25 pm

There was a pretty lengthy discussion early in the football season about this very topic. KW chimed in, might be worth looking at for those of you who are in this discussion.

http://www.pjstarforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=102703
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

LincolnFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by LincolnFan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:58 pm

We are spoiled in the area surrounding the Springfield area with Channel 1450. They cover all kinds of sports including both girls and boys. It doesn't matter if it is small schools or large schools.The film highlights are put on their website as soon as they get the film edited. They also have weekly segments and interviews to make the kids feel good. Outstanding work done by Zach Kerker and his staff.

http://www.channel1450.com/

peoria2chicago
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by peoria2chicago » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:27 pm

leopardbutt wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:43 pm
Pittstop wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:22 pm
deejay wrote:

I don't think you have to worry about coverage of Morton from local TV.
Especially if it's Mattson :lol:
"Yeah but we're the coolest **** oxymoron you'll ever see. It's a great day to be a Little Giant!"

Avidhoops5
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Avidhoops5 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Saturday night two of the three sparse highlights on WEEK were Morton. With all of the games going on in the area 25 found a way to get the Morton girls against the cheese makers in Wisconsin.
I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.
Alexander the Great

bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bigdaddystuck » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:09 am

Yeah, I don't get it! Why so much coverage for the 3 time defending state champions? Its ridiculous!
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner.
Vince Lombardi