3A Sectional Matchups

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Re: 3A Sectional Matchups

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:52 pm

If you all are looking for regionals in central Illinois to check out, the ones taking place at Rochester and Decatur MacArthur should be good ones. If the seeds hold, the regional title games would be Lanphier vs. Lincoln (at Rochester) and Southeast vs. MacArthur (at MacArthur).

The second one especially would be interesting as Southeast was the #1 team in the state in 3A heading into this weekend but was defeated by the Generals at home last night 74-65. It's the second straight season MacArthur has defeated the #1 team in the state.

The potential rematch would be a couple weeks from now, also at MacArthur's gym.

Cristobal
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Cristobal » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:59 pm

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:52 pm
If you all are looking for regionals in central Illinois to check out, the ones taking place at Rochester and Decatur MacArthur should be good ones. If the seeds hold, the regional title games would be Lanphier vs. Lincoln (at Rochester) and Southeast vs. MacArthur (at MacArthur).

The second one especially would be interesting as Southeast was the #1 team in the state in 3A heading into this weekend but was defeated by the Generals at home last night 74-65. It's the second straight season MacArthur has defeated the #1 team in the state.

The potential rematch would be a couple weeks from now, also at MacArthur's gym.
When I looked at the possible games yesterday, I found Lincoln and Lanphier to be the most intriguing. That should be a good game coming from someone who’s seen both teams play.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Cristobal wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:59 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:52 pm

When I looked at the possible games yesterday, I found Lincoln and Lanphier to be the most intriguing. That should be a good game coming from someone who’s seen both teams play.
And it likely will be. But don't sell Southeast/MacArthur short either. The Generals will have an advantage of not just the head to head victory but also the home court advantage for regionals.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:07 am

Round 3, Redbirds and the Panthers. Any predictions or prognostications?
go cubs go!

superfan309
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by superfan309 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:06 pm

deejay wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:07 am
Round 3, Redbirds and the Panthers. Any predictions or prognostications?
If Washington's guards play well and KB's head doesn't explode they will be hard to beat at home. MTHS will need a clean game with a high shooting percentage.

42-38 WCHS. Another Death March at Torry.

Baseball Junkie

Post by Baseball Junkie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:34 pm

If it comes down to skill--i believe Washington has more skill than Metamora by a decent margin

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:38 pm

3 OTs.

So how was everyone’s sportsmanship?
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:10 am

LP Sectional:
Tuesday Peoria Manual (8-16) vs Sterling (22-9)
Wednesday Metamora (18-11) vs Dixon (17-15)

Pontiac Sectional:
Tuesday Olympia Fields Rich Central winner? vs Pontiac (17-12)
Wednesday Kankakee (20-6) vs Park Forest Rich East (17-10)

I remember when getting to state in Illinois was a journey and a battle. Sectionals were complete with single-digit loss teams with an occasional upset winner.

Today a weakened brand of basketball produces sectionals that don’t really bring excitement unless you have a connection to one of the teams. The lack of high quality depth in Illinois plus the 4-class system has made the ihsa tourney an afterthought for me.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:27 pm

Here are the 3A sectional matchups around the state (records may not be accurate due to availability of information online):

Burbank St. Laurence Sectional
Chicago Morgan Park (20-9) vs. Burbank St. Laurence (20-10)
Chicago Bogan (20-8) vs. Chicago St. Rita (18-11)

Chicago Little Village Sectional
Chicago Farragut (16-10) vs. Chicago De La Salle (10-14)
Chicago North Lawndale Charter (16-10) vs. Chicago Crane Medical Prep (17-9)

LaSalle-Peru Sectional
Peoria Manual (8-16) vs. Sterling (22-9)
Dixon (17-15) vs. Metamora (18-11)

Pontiac Sectional
Chicago Heights Marian (22-5) vs. Pontiac (17-12)
Kankakee (20-6) vs. Park Forest Rich East (17-10)

Centralia Sectional
Columbia (20-11) vs. Marion (20-11)
Centralia (23-4) vs. East St. Louis (15-10)

Decatur Eisenhower Sectional
Champaign Central (20-8) vs. Lanphier (25-3)
Southeast (25-3) vs. Mahomet-Seymour (21-10)

North Chicago Sectional
Chicago DePaul College Prep (23-6) vs. Antioch (13-15)
North Chicago (19-8) vs. Mundelein Carmel (19-11)

Woodstock North Sectional
Burlington Central (27-3) vs. Johnsburg (19-12)
Rockford Boylan (20-10) vs. Wheaton St. Francis (15-15)

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:26 pm

It is there for Metamora to take. They just shouldn’t want stand up and say that they finally beat Washington at Torrey. They should want more. History says that they won’t take advantage of this break in a weak sectional. We will just wait and see if DG can take his team to the next step.
go cubs go!

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:25 pm

deejay wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:26 pm
It is there for Metamora to take. They just shouldn’t want stand up and say that they finally beat Washington at Torrey. They should want more. History says that they won’t take advantage of this break in a weak sectional. We will just wait and see if DG can take his team to the next step.
In fairness to past Metamora teams they ran into teams in sectionals that were much better than this field. They have as good a shot as winning as any of the teams.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Tonight's scores thus far from around the state:

Chicago Morgan Park 92, Burbank St. Laurence 74
Chicago Bogan 68, Chicago St. Rita 61
Marion 49, Columbia 41
Chicago Farragut 67, Chicago De La Salle 58
Lanphier 71, Champaign Central 69 (F/2OT)
Chicago DePaul College Prep 51, Antioch 28
Chicago Heights Marian 66, Pontiac 40
Burlington Central 77, Johnsburg 56

SS01
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by SS01 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Sterling 81 Manual 78 (F/3OT)

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:03 pm

Metamora will meet Sterling in the sectional championship on Friday after a 43-36 win over Dixon.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 pm

Tonight's other scores from around the state:

East St. Louis 62, Centralia 50
Chicago North Lawndale Charter 58, Chicago Crane Medical Prep 38
Southeast 59, Mahomet-Seymour 45
North Chicago 73, Mundelein Carmel 61
Kankakee 72, Park Forest Rich East 71
Rockford Boylan 51, Wheaton St. Francis 47

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:08 pm

Here are your sectional final match-ups in 3A:

Burbank St. Laurence Sectional
Chicago Morgan Park (21-9) vs. Chicago Bogan (21-8)

Chicago Little Village Sectional
Chicago Farragut (17-10) vs. Chicago North Lawndale Charter C(17-10)

LaSalle-Peru Sectional
Sterling (23-9) vs. Metamora (19-11)

Pontiac Sectional
Chicago Heights Marian (23-5) vs. Kankakee (21-6)

Centralia Sectional
Marion (21-11) vs. East St. Louis (16-10)

Decatur Eisenhower Sectional
Lanphier (26-3) vs. Southeast (26-3)

North Chicago Sectional
Chicago DePaul College Prep (24-6) vs. North Chicago (20-8)

Woodstock North Sectional
Burlington Central (28-3) vs. Rockford Boylan (21-10)

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:26 pm

3A Elite Eight - Includes 4 teams with 10+ losses and 2 more with 8+.

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:34 am

illini25 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:26 pm
I am guessing that some of these teams have played fairly loaded schedules. With every team qualifying for the post season there is really no reason not to.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:08 am

Reggie wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:34 am
illini25 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:26 pm
I am guessing that some of these teams have played fairly loaded schedules. With every team qualifying for the post season there is really no reason not to.
Might be just my perception but I remember 2-class regional and sectional fields that seemed like a tough journey for very good teams like the 2003 Peoria High state champions. I also think Illinois high school basketball was better at that time as it seems as there has been a dip in talent recently.

Without getting too analytical I took a look at two 3A double-digit loss sectional champions where I'm familiar with schedule and opponents.

Rockford Boylan has lost 10 games. Losses are to 9 different teams with 3 to 3A teams and 7 to 4A teams. They have 1 loss to a sectional champion (3A North Lawndale) and 3 more losses to regional champions (4A Rockford Auburn x2 and 4A Moline). To get to the Super-Sectional, the Titans defeated Belvidere (6-24), Rockford Lutheran (15-16), Wheaton St. Francis (15-16) and Burlington Cental (28-4). Burlington's schedule was very weak.

Metamora has lost 11 games. Losses are to 10 teams with 4 to 4A teams and 7 to 3A teams. They have 2 losses to sectional champions (3A North Lawndale and 3A Springfield SE) and 1 loss to a regional champion (4A Rock Island). To get to the Super-Sectional, the Redbirds defeated Peoria Richwoods (14-14), Washington (17-12), Dixon (17-16) and Sterling (23-10).

To me the most impressive thing about what Metamora did was win 2 regional games against teams that had already defeated them 3 times this season.

Two-class basketball would add an additional game to get to the title and tougher games to get to E8. I don't know if it would matter. This is probably just me voicing disdain for 2-class basketball. Happy for accomplishments of all who made it. I know this is meaningful for those participating.

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:12 pm

All season are different. Remember the Peoria sectional two years ago when Metamora came in as a one-loss team yet was likely the worst to to qualify for it? And they were an outstanding team which featured two D-I players.

The path to the Super Sectional was no doubt easier this time around. The Peoria publics not being as strong definitely helped. I give props for beating the teams they had to beat to get there. Nothing a team can do other than beat who they tell you to play.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:34 am

Morgan Park vs North Lawndale looks like the toughest quarterfinal.

Interesting to see where teams were at holiday break and where they are now. Lots of injuries, suspensions and other factors to consider.

Chi MP won Rich East Big Dipper.
Chi NP was runner up to Normal Community at State Farm Holiday Classic.

Metamora was 1-3 at State Farm (WLLL).
Chi Hts Marian was consolation winner at Hinsdale Central.

Marion High won Carbondale Holiday Tournament (3 wins vs big schools and title game win vs small school champion).
Springfield SE won Collinsville Holiday Tournament.

North Chi was 1-3 at State Farm (LLLW).
Rockford Boylan was 1-3 at Pekin Insurance Holiday Tournament (LWLL).

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:33 pm

I wasn't impressed with Boylan at all...in fact I rarely am impressed with Boylan when I've seen them at the PHT over the years. They always seem to come down with impressive record but they rarely seem to match up to their reputation....

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:24 pm

CIS wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:33 pm
I wasn't impressed with Boylan at all...in fact I rarely am impressed with Boylan when I've seen them at the PHT over the years. They always seem to come down with impressive record but they rarely seem to match up to their reputation....
Those are fighting words!

Titans had one of their best players out at Holiday Tournament and then another go out with injury during tournament. They are also young relying on 3 sophomores and 3 juniors in top 9 rotation.

As long there aren’t unexpected losses on the roster look for Titans to be pretty good at 2018 holiday tournament.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Illini, I believe that Boylan has made two championship appearances in 12 years - yes they did win a championship a few years back. But overall they have I believe they have just four final four trophys -which is fine but not when it seems every year they come down with really good record and rated highly. (I could be wrong about some of the numbers but I know that I am close). I am in no way advocating they leave the tournament, they are a good team to have (And the PHT needs all the good teams they can get). It just seems they are slightly over-rated at the PHT many years... :joker

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:01 pm

CIS wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:25 pm
Illini, I believe that Boylan has made two championship appearances in 12 years - yes they did win a championship a few years back. But overall they have I believe they have just four final four trophys -which is fine but not when it seems every year they come down with really good record and rated highly. (I could be wrong about some of the numbers but I know that I am close). I am in no way advocating they leave the tournament, they are a good team to have (And the PHT needs all the good teams they can get). It just seems they are slightly over-rated at the PHT many years... :joker
Just having some fun. Boylan basketball is my favorite high school team, along with a couple tennis squads. I’m very aware of their seeding and record and each loss is remembered more than the wins.

I’m a time zone or two away right now so best I could do was a best of luck text to their coaches. Wish I was at their game today.