The Washington Panthers

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
Bballnut
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Re: The Washington Panthers

Post by Bballnut »

Norm@Hickory wrote:
deejay wrote:Havens and Dietz? I was told from relatives in Canton that both families went searching to play elsewhere after Canton 7th graders made it to state.
Havens and Dietz must be the 2 kids that parents were complaining about last year, apparently they were home schooled for a year after graduating 8th grade in Canton. Something to do with reclassifying them for basketball recruiting purposes? So deejay, 4 out of the 5 starters or really 5 out of top 6 on Washington team are not really Washington kids?

It appears that kids who have live and work hard in this program their entire lives get pooped on by the coaches. The WCHS admin should be embarrassed and appauled by this.
There is plenty of opportunity to play.Many of the kids have elected not to. Only one senior on roster. Don't believe it has anything to do with transfers
The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly »

Havens probably wishes he was in Canton still as much as he gets yelled at each game.

Norm@Hickory
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Norm@Hickory »

There is plenty of opportunity to play.Many of the kids have elected not to. Only one senior on roster. Don't believe it has anything to do with transfers[/quote]

I'm no mathematician, but only having only 1 senior sounds like a coaching & recruiting problem, as the old song goes...1 thing leads to another....

Norm@Hickory
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Norm@Hickory »

[quote="buddyholly"]Havens probably wishes he was in Canton still as much as he gets yelled at each game.[/quote]

Oh, always a whipping boy for ole coach Brown now isn't there :roll:

buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly »

Only senior they really miss is Sharp and he graduated early or something so not playing this year. Tuebel isn't out this year. I'm guessing because of all the knee injuries. Foster isn't out but he wouldn't play much anyway. Garrett Frank is another who hasn't played last few years but not sure he gets much playing time if he was on the team either. Sophomore class is really good

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

Norm@Hickory wrote:
Havens and Dietz must be the 2 kids that parents were complaining about last year, apparently they were home schooled for a year after graduating 8th grade in Canton. Something to do with reclassifying them for basketball recruiting purposes? So deejay, 4 out of the 5 starters or really 5 out of top 6 on Washington team are not really Washington kids?

It appears that kids who have live and work hard in this program their entire lives get pooped on by the coaches. The WCHS admin should be embarrassed and appauled by this.
That's strange, I could swear in court I saw both of them play on the Washington Middle School 8th grade team and walk the aisle at graduation :scratch
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

O&B 78 wrote:
Norm@Hickory wrote:

That's strange, I could swear in court I saw both of them play on the Washington Middle School 8th grade team and walk the aisle at graduation :scratch
It was after 7th grade and not after 8th grade.

Norm was factually off by 1 year. If you let it go then people stop talking about it. Why deny what is easy to prove?

2013 IESA 7th grade Canton
https://www.iesa.org/activities/bbk/sco ... Position=2

2015 IESA 8th grade Washington
https://www.iesa.org/activities/bbk/sco ... Position=1
Peace, Love & Loud Guitars

superfan309

Post by superfan309 »

buddyholly wrote:Only senior they really miss is Sharp and he graduated early or something so not playing this year. Tuebel isn't out this year. I'm guessing because of all the knee injuries. Foster isn't out but he wouldn't play much anyway. Garrett Frank is another who hasn't played last few years but not sure he gets much playing time if he was on the team either. Sophomore class is really good
Foster was a great asset last year. When he stays on the court he contributed with his big body. With just one senior what that means obviously is that the other seniors don't want to be there, ie no relationship with coach or team-mates that make it worth their time and effort. If they loved being there they would be. Only 1 senior is not a good trend hopefully it changes.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

illini25 wrote:

Norm was factually off by 1 year. If you let it go then people stop talking about it. Why deny what is easy to prove?1
That's all I was doing, pointing out the true fact. And people on here will never stop accusing teams of recruiting without proof to give to the IHSA for any successful program that has kids and parents wanting to be part of it. Much like Metamora endured for years in football until recent years or Central now.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

O&B 78 wrote:
illini25 wrote:

Norm was factually off by 1 year. If you let it go then people stop talking about it. Why deny what is easy to prove?1
That's all I was doing, pointing out the true fact. And people on here will never stop accusing teams of recruiting without proof to give to the IHSA for any successful program that has kids and parents wanting to be part of it. Much like Metamora endured for years in football until recent years or Central now.
I agree with your message. I disagree with how you did it because it looks like you're avoiding the fact it happened. You were correct but didn't acknowledge Norm was just off by a year.

But you're free to post how you want and I'm free to add what I want. I'm guessing no one posting about it knows why things happened.

Bballnut

Post by Bballnut »

O&B 78 wrote:
illini25 wrote:

Agree O & B. Folks can sit behind a screen name and talk all they want. If the Canton kids situation bother some so much, report it to IHSA and see where it goes.They moved in junior high for crying out loud
The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Norm@Hickory
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Norm@Hickory »

[quote=illini25 post_id=1472285 time=1485537578 user_id=1969]
[quote="O&B 78"][quote="illini25"]

Norm was factually off by 1 year. If you let it go then people stop talking about it. Why deny what is easy to prove?1[/quote]
That's all I was doing, pointing out the true fact. And people on here will never stop accusing teams of recruiting without proof to give to the IHSA for any successful program that has kids and parents wanting to be part of it. Much like Metamora endured for years in football until recent years or Central now.[/quote]

I agree with your message. I disagree with how you did it because it looks like you're avoiding the fact it happened. You were correct but didn't acknowledge Norm was just off by a year.

But you're free to post how you want and I'm free to add what I want. I'm guessing no one posting about it knows why things happened.
[/quote]

I didn't claim that I knew, just heard via some upset parents that a few Canton kids moved in/ reclassified during jr high. The Canton kids situation pales in comparison to the largest issue that has the parents fuming right now. Currently 3 Peoria kids on this team all renting/ not owning homes in Washington, while still having a main place in Peoria. Translation: they pay no real estate taxes in Washington's school district, yet these kids take basketball roster spots/ playing time away kids who have been raised there, living with families that pay taxes there. It's well known that DSE's dad rented an apartment in Washington so he could play basketball their. Kept his home in Peoria, (many people saw DSE crossing the bridge from Peoria darn near every morning as he headed to school in Washington nearly each day. At season's end they'll stop paying rent (as DSE dad did) as soon as their final game of the senior year ends/ then back in Peoria. Many are saying if the IHSA were to probe this situation hard enough right now, they could poke big holes in this entire recruiting scandal (story), and poop would hit the fan in Washington/ Panther boys basketball (kids talk/ grown people talk). I am a high school sports fan, especially area hoops (admire coach Brown's work), I'm not a parent of one of the players or am I accusing anyone, just repeating what some upset families/ community members are saying. Similar things were being said about MTHS basketball a year ago. One thing is certain, when a person makes a decision to sell their sole, eventually one that they sold out to is going to come back to bite them right on his back-side. If not, well merely rumors/ no worries. Believe it or not, winning at all cost (cheating) is not a trait that is admired nor respected by everyone.

buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly »

I transferred to Washington back in 92-93. Only played there my senior year and we kept our house in Pekin and me and my dad got an apartment in Washington. I have no problems at all with kids transferring in now. I hope it continues

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

buddyholly wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:06 pm
I transferred to Washington back in 92-93. Only played there my senior year and we kept our house in Pekin and me and my dad got an apartment in Washington. I have no problems at all with kids transferring in now. I hope it continues
So as I read the IHSA by-law 3.031.3 you should have been eligible beginning second semester of your senior year. Did you transfer after your junior year or did you attend Washington second semester junior year?

It doesn't matter as it pertains to 1993 but I am curious as to how closely rules were followed 25 years ago.

Again, I've stated many times I don't care about transfers. I think it's better to acknowledge the transfers though rather than act like there aren't any happening.

buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly »

I knew during my junior year at Pekin there was no way I would have any desire to play there during my senior season. After bball season was over I remember getting out of class at Pekin and would drive to Washington after school and playing in their open gyms. That was fun and it helped me get to know everyone better. I remember attending team camps and playing in shootouts then all summer with them too.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

buddyholly wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:42 pm
I knew during my junior year at Pekin there was no way I would have any desire to play there during my senior season. After bball season was over I remember getting out of class at Pekin and would drive to Washington after school and playing in their open gyms. That was fun and it helped me get to know everyone better. I remember attending team camps and playing in shootouts then all summer with them too.
Thanks for reply.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

illini25 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:45 pm
buddyholly wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:06 pm
So as I read the IHSA by-law 3.031.3 you should have been eligible beginning second semester of your senior year. Did you transfer after your junior year or did you attend Washington second semester junior year?

It doesn't matter as it pertains to 1993 but I am curious as to how closely rules were followed 25 years ago.

Again, I've stated many times I don't care about transfers. I think it's better to acknowledge the transfers though rather than act like there aren't any happening.
Not sure anyone denies that transfers happen.

Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal »

Good luck and get better Devin. It's time for the rest of the Panthers to step it up and finish this season successfully. Go Washington.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Cristobal wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:22 pm
Good luck and get better Devin. It's time for the rest of the Panthers to step it up and finish this season successfully. Go Washington.
?

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

illini25 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:39 pm
Cristobal wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:22 pm
?
I'll double up. ??

Ripple Effect
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Ripple Effect »

Left the game with about 4 min to go. Went to the west locker room. Brown went directly to the west locker room after handshakes. Emerged about 10 min later with a visibly upset Whitelow. DLow didn't seem to look hampered with the way he walked. Don't want to speculate though. If it's serious, oh boy. Poor kid. What a gamer. Let's hope for the best.

Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal »

Don't want to go into detail but he will be out for awhile if not the rest of the season. He will still be able to play in college.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

That stinks for him and the team.

Melo98
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Melo98 »