2016-17 Mid Illini

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
BLACK CAT
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

2016-17 Mid Illini

Post by BLACK CAT »

Who has what and what are the expectations for the MI this season? I can only speak for the Panthers. With a lot of experience, they will still be a young team. They will have some size in the frontcourt. If those young men progress and gain some toughness, this team will be very successful. The backcourt of DLow, Ware and Havens is going to give opposing teams fits. One thing is for sure, the Panthers are going to guard you and very rarely get out hustled. The TOC will have them ready for conference play.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Re: 2016-17 Mid Illini

Post by CIS »

Panthers first and then HUGE gap.... I would think Metamora will be down this year after losing Kennell, Morgan and a few others. You never know about Limestone because of various transfers......Morton was down last year but do have some players back although they might not have a lot of size. East Peoria lost their best scorer....Pekin lost their top scorer and a few starters - the Dragons have no size and will be mediocre again...Anybody know about Dunlap and Canton? I really don't see any good teams outside of Washington at this point..

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Who is Ware for Washington? I don't remember him last year.
Peace, Love & Loud Guitars

Bballnut
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Bballnut »

BLACK CAT wrote:Who has what and what are the expectations for the MI this season? I can only speak for the Panthers. With a lot of experience, they will still be a young team. They will have some size in the frontcourt. If those young men progress and gain some toughness, this team will be very successful. The backcourt of DLow, Ware and Havens is going to give opposing teams fits. One thing is for sure, the Panthers are going to guard you and very rarely get out hustled. The TOC will have them ready for conference play.
Anyone know if the kid with ACL injury is back and healthy? Was defensive stopper but for the life of me , can't remember the name :scratch

illini25 wrote:Who is Ware for Washington? I don't remember him last year.
Dunno. Must be a transfer
The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Concerned
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Concerned »

ACL kid is Brett Williams, Ware is a transfer from Peoria Central, both kids can play!!!

Bballnut

Post by Bballnut »

Concerned wrote:ACL kid is Brett Williams, Ware is a transfer from Peoria Central, both kids can play!!!
Question is Williams healthy? I believe he got hurt in 1st half of season. That would be quick turnaround for ACL considering the rigors of the sport.

superfan309

Post by superfan309 »

Bballnut wrote:
Concerned wrote:ACL kid is Brett Williams, Ware is a transfer from Peoria Central, both kids can play!!!
Question is Williams healthy? I believe he got hurt in 1st half of season. That would be quick turnaround for ACL considering the rigors of the sport.
He is practicing with no restrictions from what I heard from teammates parents.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Man, where did the big boys go in Pekin? They used to always have a 6'5-6'8 type player - shoot I remember some years where they had 6'8-6'5'6'5 front line but the last several years the size has shrunk in Pekin. Is it the water? :D This year their two tallest players are 6'3 and then a bunch of mites...Dragons will struggle against teams that have good interior size....they do have seven seniors and some experience but I would be pleasantly surprised if they finished .500 this year. Pekin has fallen off the radar in basketball...

Pittstop

Post by Pittstop »

Washington appears to continue recruiting out of Peoria.......I feel for the kids that have been a part of the Panther program working their way up but now have to give up spots to these new outsiders. It's all about winning. Does the coach own property he rents to these kids families like Richwoods coach used to do? Just wondering.
2010 Large School "Pick-Ems" Champion

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

:snooze
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

:lol:
Pittstop wrote:Washington appears to continue recruiting out of Peoria.......I feel for the kids that have been a part of the Panther program working their way up but now have to give up spots to these new outsiders. It's all about winning. Does the coach own property he rents to these kids families like Richwoods coach used to do? Just wondering.
"Earth, Wind & Fire and little brother. I'll let you know when they come around, okay?"

"Wow! Does he really live here? I thought he just flew in for games."

"***! He knows where to come when he wants some tickets. Go on. Get outta here. You're messing up my business."

:lol:

Ripple Effect
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Ripple Effect »

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Recruiting? I've posted before I'm not accusing the basketball coaching staff of recruiting but the "Student Success" article posted is a form of recruiting being done by the school. It's not illegal by IHSA standards but is clearly an attempt to attract families and students. In an effort to defend the program, proof has been proffered that the school is actively engaged in recruiting.

I like it!

:roll

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Great article until I read who wrote it. SS slants his articles so nothing is ever black and white. Guess you can just form your own opinion.
go cubs go!

Bballnut

Post by Bballnut »

Based on some early results, the M-I appears to be very weak...and then some :shock:

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Bballnut wrote:Based on some early results, the M-I appears to be very weak...and then some :shock:
Yeah, Washington should go 14- 0 in league play....I couldn't tell you who will finish second - Morton or Metamora?

superfan309

Post by superfan309 »

illini25 wrote:Recruiting? I've posted before I'm not accusing the basketball coaching staff of recruiting but the "Student Success" article posted is a form of recruiting being done by the school. It's not illegal by IHSA standards but is clearly an attempt to attract families and students. In an effort to defend the program, proof has been proffered that the school is actively engaged in recruiting.

I like it!

:roll
Another sly recruiting tactic obviously orchestrated by KB.

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/away- ... ec-peters-

:twisted:

Ripple Effect
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Ripple Effect »

Washington should perform very well in the MI. Their guards will be very tough on MI foes. They looked good in spurts during the TOC. The long, extremely athletic teams give them difficulty. They lost to 2 solid teams in Uplift and Kenwood. The thing they are missing this season is a consistent, lights out 3 point shooter, which they have had for several years. The frontcourt will continue to improve. They look soft and out of sorts at times.
Last edited by Ripple Effect on Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XmanCol

Post by XmanCol »

Pekin had two Juniors who would have been in the rotation of 8 who didn't even try out. Probably not a huge effect as there is just not a lot of talent or size this year, but does raise eyebrows about the future of the program.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

XmanCol wrote:Pekin had two Juniors who would have been in the rotation of 8 who didn't even try out. Probably not a huge effect as there is just not a lot of talent or size this year, but does raise eyebrows about the future of the program.
Yeah, the program has been spinning its wheels for years and I can rarely recall such a stretch where there is such a lack of excitement among students and fans....maybe just a lack of talent in Pekin along with lack of size. Where oh where did the big boys go? The football team seems to have good football size every year but Pekin seems to lack basketball size lately (6'5-6'6 types). I really don't know much about the coach (Walraven). Most people, including students, seem to like him on a personal level. But I really can't tell you what kind of coach he is - my knowledge is mostly football. It does seem that for years Pekin has been offensively challenged...

buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly »

Washington up 28-17 at half on Canton

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

A bit surprised at how a winless Limestone blasted a MI "sleeper" team like East Peoria. :) Also, was a bit surprised at how easy Morton handled Metamora. While I think East Peoria might have been a bit overrated by the PJS, I think Morton is a legit team that might possibly challenge Washington - note I said might. Outside of Washington and Morton, the rest of the league is not a pleasant sight....

buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly »

Washington didn't look good at all at Canton. Washington very beatable this year. They could really use Sharp's 3 point shooting. Too bad he's not out there. Williams looks nowhere near 100%.

Ripple Effect
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Ripple Effect »

True about Williams. He's a couple steps behind being his usual lock down defender. Panthers have a load of talent but the kids look like they're trying to figure out who fits where. I guess that happens sometimes when you are at least 10 deep. There seems to be no rhythm or flow to the offense. It's looked that way in all the games with the exception of the Aurora Marmian game, where they had a lot of transition scoring. This early, the half court offensive game looks a bit off. I still think they will win the league by a wide margin.

Bballnut

Post by Bballnut »

Ripple Effect wrote:True about Williams. He's a couple steps behind being his usual lock down defender. Panthers have a load of talent but the kids look like they're trying to figure out who fits where. I guess that happens sometimes when you are at least 10 deep. There seems to be no rhythm or flow to the offense. It's looked that way in all the games with the exception of the Aurora Marmian game, where they had a lot of transition scoring. This early, the half court offensive game looks a bit off. I still think they will win the league by a wide margin.
Panthers really seem to struggle when game is called close. Against Canton, they were in double bonus with a couple minutes gone in 2nd quarter :shock: .Ultimately, it affects how they play on O, with seemingly allot less aggressiveness