Morton Potters

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Morton Potters

Post by bigdaddystuck »

I got a text early this morning informing that Coach Brown is stepping down/leaving. I can't find anyone to back this up, so was just wondering if others have heard anything?
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner.
Vince Lombardi

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Morton Potters

Post by deejay »

Yes.
go cubs go!

Bballnut
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Bballnut »

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Is Becker ready to see what he can do with the guys?
Get a shot of rhythm and blues
With just a little rock and roll on the side

bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bigdaddystuck »

It will be interesting to see what interest there is in the position and how long it takes to find the new coach. I do know that there was a lot of talk among the lower classes about kids not going out next year. I wonder if this changes any of those kids minds.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner.
Vince Lombardi

Bballnut

Post by Bballnut »

bigdaddystuck wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:29 pm
It will be interesting to see what interest there is in the position and how long it takes to find the new coach. I do know that there was a lot of talk among the lower classes about kids not going out next year. I wonder if this changes any of those kids minds.
From the outside, this appears to be a big loss. Not sure what the scuttle is with underclassmen not going out. Teaching and coaching high school basketball is tough...long hours, not much pay, holiday conflicts, and grumpy fans/parents. I'm guessing the move is financially based . Wish him the best

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Many might not know, but Coach Brown was only the 3rd coach in the past 40 plus years at Morton. Class guy and ran a class program. Not always a lot of talent, but found ways to win with what he had. IMO, coaching became a job and no longer fun especially when you have past and present board members willingly go out of their way to create a hostile environment.
go cubs go!

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

Too soon to start the Jim Youngman to Morton talk?
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

Bballnut

Post by Bballnut »

Reggie wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:13 pm
Oh my :shock: :shock:

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Reggie wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:13 pm
Too late.
Get a shot of rhythm and blues
With just a little rock and roll on the side

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Don't think that will ever happen, but I would think that this will draw some pretty good candidates. Anyone out there of interest? By the way, I received a private message from someone yesterday, but inadvertently deleted it. If whoever sent it would want to resent, please do. Sorry for the error.
go cubs go!

Norm@Hickory
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Norm@Hickory »

The names I heard last night at the Washington vs. Bloomington sectional game from a few local high school coaches were Derek Grimm, Former 6'9" Center for the Morton Potters, went on to play at Missouri, and unfortunately became very famous for giving up the lay-up to 5'9" UCLA pg Tyus Edney in that dramatic 4.8 second length of the floor buzzer beater in the NCAA Tournament in 1995. Another former Potter Center, JR Koch, went on to play for the Iowa Hawkeyes, later had a coaching stint at Dunlap High School. Currently not coaching, but his name seemed to be one that was most intriguing. Other names being mentioned were Dunlap Athletic director Greg Crider, played for Dunlap and then for the Eureka Red Devils, and coached at nearby Tremont. He currently has a son (sophomore) on the varsity team. There was talk of current Quest head coach, Michael Jenkins possibly having interest in stepping back up into large school basketball, as he has had great success building up Quest, and he did defeat the Potters this season. There was mention of Jim Youngman, but apparently he has made recent statement that he will not be entertaining anymore coaching positions until his son has finished playing in college. Current Quest asst coach, Rick Schertz was another name that came up, he had coaching stints at Richwoods, Peoria Heights, and Dunlap. The Morton job is a good job, and should attract statewide interest, however the reputation of politics in the district does somewhat proceed itself whether that be fair or unfair. Personally I enjoyed watching JR Koch play, and he played for legends Norm Reiser at Morton, and Dr. Tom Davis at Iowa. It would be interesting to see the 6'10" former standout patrolling the sidelines in the Mid-Illini. Best of luck to coach Brown in his future endeavors.

Gdawg1095
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Gdawg1095 »

Most good athletes that did not get the playing time they would have liked, they even sometimes did, quit. This was just simply due to the amount of time Coach Brown required of the kids, and to say it frankly, a lot were not huge fans of the coaching style. A lot of people who would contribute to the basketball team, but did not feel like they could put in the time coach Brown required. Whether this is the kids or the coach, it will change next year. You will see multiple athletic Morton incoming seniors that didn't play last year, come back and look to reignite the program, along with Crider, Olden(sophmores), and Bryne. You will see a couple, possibly up to 5-8 guys, attempt to return to basketball in the next few classes, which should really help the program. Even the best incoming freshmen were considering not playing because of this reputation. Not to say he was a bad coach, and I have no reason to think this had anything to do with this reputation, but this could truly be great for the program. In my opinion, varsity high school players generally know how to play the game, and want to show up and have fun. Over scheduling these kids does not allow them to enjoy the game as much as it makes them dread showing up. An average high school team is not going from average to most skilled team in the state, because you practiced more than other teams. As we've all seen time and time again, these teams that make runs all want to keep playing, all want each other to do well, and they do anything they can to win, and extra practices does not teach this

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Rumors flying that Potters have their new coach. Press release coming this week?
go cubs go!

Gdawg1095
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Gdawg1095 »

I know they were down to 3-4 a couple of weeks ago, so that makes sense in terms of timing. Very curious which route they go, but the new ad seems to really want to build for the long haul and seems to be hiring rather young guys with previous success at smaller schools looking to move up. I love that trend, hopefully it continues

Gdawg1095
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Gdawg1095 »

I know they were down to 3-4 a couple of weeks ago, so that makes sense in terms of timing. Very curious which route they go, but the new ad seems to really want to build for the long haul and seems to be hiring rather young guys with previous success at smaller schools looking to move up. I love that trend, hopefully it continues

MortonOutsider
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider »

Norm@Hickory wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:57 pm
The names I heard last night at the Washington vs. Bloomington sectional game from a few local high school coaches were Derek Grimm, Former 6'9" Center for the Morton Potters, went on to play at Missouri, and unfortunately became very famous for giving up the lay-up to 5'9" UCLA pg Tyus Edney in that dramatic 4.8 second length of the floor buzzer beater in the NCAA Tournament in 1995. Another former Potter Center, JR Koch, went on to play for the Iowa Hawkeyes, later had a coaching stint at Dunlap High School. Currently not coaching, but his name seemed to be one that was most intriguing. Other names being mentioned were Dunlap Athletic director Greg Crider, played for Dunlap and then for the Eureka Red Devils, and coached at nearby Tremont. He currently has a son (sophomore) on the varsity team. There was talk of current Quest head coach, Michael Jenkins possibly having interest in stepping back up into large school basketball, as he has had great success building up Quest, and he did defeat the Potters this season. There was mention of Jim Youngman, but apparently he has made recent statement that he will not be entertaining anymore coaching positions until his son has finished playing in college. Current Quest asst coach, Rick Schertz was another name that came up, he had coaching stints at Richwoods, Peoria Heights, and Dunlap. The Morton job is a good job, and should attract statewide interest, however the reputation of politics in the district does somewhat proceed itself whether that be fair or unfair. Personally I enjoyed watching JR Koch play, and he played for legends Norm Reiser at Morton, and Dr. Tom Davis at Iowa. It would be interesting to see the 6'10" former standout patrolling the sidelines in the Mid-Illini. Best of luck to coach Brown in his future endeavors.
Not even close on any of these.

MortonOutsider
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider »

deejay wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:33 pm
Rumors flying that Potters have their new coach. Press release coming this week?
Hopefully by Friday

MortonOutsider
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider »

deejay wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:02 pm
especially when you have past and present board members willingly go out of their way to create a hostile environment.
Can you be specific?

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

If you read or participate on the Morton Forum website, which I don't, then you can see yourself the person who initiates the bullying. He targets board members, administrators, and coaches. As for the new coach, I understand it will be released before the weekend.
go cubs go!

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD »

deejay wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:18 pm
If you read or participate on the Morton Forum website, which I don't, then you can see yourself the person who initiates the bullying. He targets board members, administrators, and coaches. As for the new coach, I understand it will be released before the weekend.
Link?
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

For being an outsider the outsider posts like they're an insider
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

JMil684
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by JMil684 »

It is my understanding they haven't even conducted interviews yet...so it would surprise me if they fit in multiple interviews AND get an acceptance AND board approval by the weekend.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

They have their man, pending board approval. My understanding it is spring break and that is a communication issue.
go cubs go!

Rodney21
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by Rodney21 »

Coach Jarrett Brown is one of the best guys you will find. I do like the new hire though. Best of luck!