No Excitement For Metamora?

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3641
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:34 pm

No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by CIS » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:42 pm

I was wondering why no excitement for Metamora's sectional championship? The first one in school history! Congrats to the Redbirds on playing great as a team - beating a team that beat you twice in regular season (Washington) and beating a team that beat you by double digits in last years post season. I thought for sure there would be a lot of Metamora fans and even area fans posting on this - if this was football it would be different! :D The only excuses I can think of are 1) the PJS high school boards are dead - the small school boards have almost NOTHING 2) Maybe people are not that excited because this seems like a real down year for central Illinois basketball and the quality does not seem that great (for the whole state I might say) 3) Maybe a few folks might not be excited because of transfers. I know GBG posted this back in January -"The Washington Panthers are no more "Washington" than the Metamora Redbirds are "Metamora". I honestly don't know how the communities of both teams can get that excited about them and rally support for them. Having friends in both Washington & Metamora, I know I'm not alone in my thoughts." GBG, do you still feel that way and do others? I made peace with all the transfer stuff a long time ago. I remember the great Central teams of the early 2000's that won state titles with kids from all over Peoria. Limestone went to state with transfers. Of course Washington has yearly brought in new players. Now Chicago city teams are ALL STAR teams drawing kids from all over a city of 3 million - Simeon and others are not neighborhood schools. Everybody up here in Chicago applauds ORR but I say BIG DEAL. You have a school that played in the Chicago city CHAMPIONSHP - they should beat 2A teams that draw from a town of 5000 while ORR draws from a HUGE population base. Even suburban teams are recruiting and getting transfers. So transfers and such don't bother my that much anymore - it is happening all over and it is what it is. Of course I have lost a lot of interest in the high school basketball tournament because of some of this and going to 4 classes among others. I haven't gone to a state tourney game in 15+ years. I think that is what made Manual of the 1990' so special, it seems most of the guys were from the south side - of course I could be wrong about that and if so sorry. Anyway, regardless of transfers or whatever, I still would like to congratulate Metamora on winning their first sectional title! That is still a special achievement. Who knows, the Birds might go all the way this year - they are playing well as a team and there doesn't seem to be any super teams out there...

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Posts: 534
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:14 am

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by MidstateFan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Are we seeing the long-term effects of the four-class system, as far as post-season excitement goes? Maybe it's just that there aren't as many people interested in high school sports as there used to be. Did all the people who used to post here go to Facebook or somewhere else or are they just not posting anywhere?
The only place on the boards that seems to draw interest is Bradley basketball.
Yes, having the open-boundary Chicago Public League schools in 1A and 2A is sort of a farce.

User avatar
illini25
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7780
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:09 am
Location: Rikers Island

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by illini25 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:16 pm

MidstateFan wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:25 pm
Are we seeing the long-term effects of the four-class system, as far as post-season excitement goes? Maybe it's just that there aren't as many people interested in high school sports as there used to be. Did all the people who used to post here go to Facebook or somewhere else or are they just not posting anywhere?
The only place on the boards that seems to draw interest is Bradley basketball.
Yes, having the open-boundary Chicago Public League schools in 1A and 2A is sort of a farce.
FYI, Orr is a CPS Neighborhood School. IHSA does not multiply enrollment.

http://cps.edu/Schools/High_schools/Pag ... rhood.aspx

http://cps.edu/Schools/Pages/school.asp ... admissions
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

User avatar
jim beam
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster
Posts: 2779
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:38 pm

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by jim beam » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:25 am

This board is not necessarily representative of fan involvement. No doubt interest in this board is way down but I'm sure the towns and fans of these schools spirit is still high. The old guard of posters has gone away and the next generation has twitter, facebook, Instagram etc and likely many that just don't engage in any kind of social media.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

User avatar
ging
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:30 pm
Location: Sterling, IL

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by ging » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:14 am

based on the number of people in attendance on friday night in lasalle-peru, i'd say there is a lot of excitement for metamora. i know there was for sterling, too.

jim beam has it right - message boards are for us old guys. social media sites are where the young people hang out.

best of luck to the redbirds on tuesday at niu.
VCSOMB

MJ45
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by MJ45 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 am

There's no excitement about it because area basketball is down. Nobody here thinks metamora is a good team compared to most years. For a fan to get excited about a team outside of their own, it usually takes something special like a top notch player or exciting team. Nobody in the area was that type of team this year. But from thw looks of it the metamora fan base is all in an traveling well

superfan309
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:04 pm

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by superfan309 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:03 pm

MJ45 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 am
There's no excitement about it because area basketball is down. Nobody here thinks metamora is a good team compared to most years. For a fan to get excited about a team outside of their own, it usually takes something special like a top notch player or exciting team. Nobody in the area was that type of team this year. But from thw looks of it the metamora fan base is all in an traveling well
Agreed. Not the most exciting game when 40 pts is winning a game. The last 4-6 years there were some really interesting battles for PJS POY. Is this years going to be a lottery ping pong ball selection. Nothing against the kids. Maybe not a comment for a MTHS thread, but the type of play with WCHS and MTHS is just a grind to watch. I will be watching the MTHS game on NFHS. If you are not a subscriber you can get it for 9.99. Cheaper than gas and a ticket.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3641
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by CIS » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:32 pm

jim beam wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:25 am
This board is not necessarily representative of fan involvement. No doubt interest in this board is way down but I'm sure the towns and fans of these schools spirit is still high. The old guard of posters has gone away and the next generation has twitter, facebook, Instagram etc and likely many that just don't engage in any kind of social media.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that the kids or community itself was not excited - I just meant the boards. That is why I asked if maybe the boards were just kind of dead. I do know if this was football that there would probably be several Metamora fans chiming in. JB, you and I have been off and on these boards probably for 15 years or so - we are old timers! :D Football was always the hottest on boards for high school and that seems to be about half of what it once was. Basketball, though not as heavy as football, used to have a lot more traffic. Basketball seems to be on life support for the high school boards. Gosh, the class A boards have NO action going. Kind of sad to see - I really enjoyed the high school boards over the years. But I have to admit that I hardly post on these boards anymore - getting old and busy at times. I did also ask if there was a problem with some fans because of the transfers - GBG implied that He and some others were not that excited because of the transfers. I am sure that the student body is very excited (kids don't care about how the team was formed or how good the quality of ball is) and I am also certain that much of the town is excited about winning the sectional title....
Last edited by CIS on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
jim beam
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster
Posts: 2779
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:38 pm

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by jim beam » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Ok so ya, if you are just talking about the boards...dead. I have been around here a long time. Don't even recall how long, but started when it was WorldCrossing and posted about Bradley basketball. Then my kids started hitting high school sports and so I kind of posted during that run which was a long run. lot of kids, multiple sports etc. But as my kids aged out of high school, I lost interest and pretty much completely stopped following high school sports. I think that was the case with a lot of people. I saw waves of different parents come and go thru the years as their kids graduated. I stayed for so long because I had so many kids.
SO the next wave isn't active here. We were because there wasn't any other avenue, message boards were revolutionary and like magic for us to be able to talk sports on the interwebs, never heard of such a thing. Nowadays there are far cooler platforms and also a lot of people just don't do this sort of thing.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

CIS
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3641
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by CIS » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:43 pm

illini25 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:16 pm
MidstateFan wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:25 pm
Are we seeing the long-term effects of the four-class system, as far as post-season excitement goes? Maybe it's just that there aren't as many people interested in high school sports as there used to be. Did all the people who used to post here go to Facebook or somewhere else or are they just not posting anywhere?
The only place on the boards that seems to draw interest is Bradley basketball.
Yes, having the open-boundary Chicago Public League schools in 1A and 2A is sort of a farce.
FYI, Orr is a CPS Neighborhood School. IHSA does not multiply enrollment.

http://cps.edu/Schools/High_schools/Pag ... rhood.aspx

http://cps.edu/Schools/Pages/school.asp ... admissions
Illini, Orr might be a CPS neighborhood school with only 350 students or so, but they draw from an area with 70,000+ people. The school kind of sits between West Garfield and Humbodt Park and draws kids primarily from those two areas which combined has over 70,000 people. That is a LOT different than most 2A schools which have 300-400 students but only draws from a town of 5000 people. Very limited whereas Orr can get kids from a much bigger area. And Orr has had some troubles just a few years ago with using and ineligible player and also using a player that had residential issues. I believe the Orr coach was suspended for some games. One of their top players transferred from Lincoln Park, a nice north side school but not as good as Orr in basketball. My only point is that Orr should want to play UP in 3A at least. The program has been competing with the BEST schools in Chicago the last few years - this year they made it to the city championship. Why do they want to play in small 2A against mostly small town and farm schools? In fact, the PJS had an article about how the coach and kids were kind of "bored" this year coming Peoria and wanted the city championship more than the 2A title.

User avatar
GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World
Posts: 3168
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:22 pm

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Went and watched the Birds' play Friday. My first Birds' game of the year, only my 4th Basketball game this year altogether. It was a lot of fun, am extremely happy for the kids, and was pleasantly surprised at the MetaCrowd. Fantastic turnout. Best of luck to them, tomorrow night. From a few folks that have seen a lot of their games this year, have been told they're a really nice group of kids. Always glad to hear that.
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

User avatar
illini25
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7780
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:09 am
Location: Rikers Island

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by illini25 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:04 pm

There is a process for Orr, and every other school, to request a step up in class. If they were bored maybe the coach can ask administration to move up next year.

CIS, what is your solution? Multiply all CPS schools?
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3641
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by CIS » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:26 pm

illini25 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:04 pm
There is a process for Orr, and every other school, to request a step up in class. If they were bored maybe the coach can ask administration to move up next year.

CIS, what is your solution? Multiply all CPS schools?
I really don't have any solutions Illini. For every ORR, there are three small Chicago high schools that are not very good in sports, including basketball. There has been an explosion of small high schools in Chicago from public to charter. It doesn't really affect most sports but when it comes to basketball you only need five players. So a small high school in Chicago can recruit or get kids and build a powerhouse team - most don't but it will probably be a problem in years to come in 2A. I would just think in Orr's case, they have been wanting to be a big dog for several years in the Chicago city league. They have achieved that and I would think they would want bigger challenges when it comes to state. Outside of that, at this point, most small high schools in Chicago are not that competitive in most sports to my knowledge. So you re not going to multiply these schools just because of one sport (basketball). On a side note, Orr has not helped 2A basketball attendance at state - my understanding is that they only brought a handful of fans.

User avatar
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8071
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Butcher Hollow, KY

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by Reggie » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:37 pm

ging wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:14 am
based on the number of people in attendance on friday night in lasalle-peru, i'd say there is a lot of excitement for metamora. i know there was for sterling, too.

jim beam has it right - message boards are for us old guys. social media sites are where the young people hang out.

best of luck to the redbirds on tuesday at niu.
I believe Twitter and Facebook have effectively killed off message boards. People do not need to come here to find out about a game when they can receive a notification that either something has happened or somebody is responding. Even texting has had an effect as a friend at a game can give you what you need to know instead of coming on here during games.

Sadly message boards are suffering almost the same fate as newspapers (ironic since this is a PJS message board) as a many people are not as interested in learning about something after the fact as they are of keeping up during the event, even if it just an app like Score Stream that basically only updates scores.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

User avatar
illini25
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7780
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:09 am
Location: Rikers Island

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by illini25 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:56 pm

Conspiracy theory of the day.

CPS administration decided to see if they could get 2A, 3A and 4A titles this year so they persuaded Orr to stay in 2A.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

User avatar
94 Knight
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:15 am

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by 94 Knight » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:23 am

Speaking of boards, I just check out of habit and it is far and few between. Spring is a pretty down time for the boards so it may be out of sight out of mind for me by the time football season rolls around. Also, I'm not a fan of a select few being able to delete and edit one poster's posts but they are free to post what ever they want. In my opinion that kind of stuff kills message boards and has kind of ran me off as a regular poster.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3641
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by CIS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:30 pm

illini25 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:56 pm
Conspiracy theory of the day.

CPS administration decided to see if they could get 2A, 3A and 4A titles this year so they persuaded Orr to stay in 2A.
Is that a true conspiracy you've heard? I don't believe it but I do know that Chicago stands a chance of winning three titles this year. That is one of the reasons I think the IHSA should consider going up north for the 3A-4A tournament. With the abundance of Chicago city and suburban teams you might get some decent attendance. If you had the right of matchup, a great city team against a great suburban team, you might draw 10,000 to game. I know when the city teams play in the city for championship type games that the attendance is pretty good. I went to sectional game at UIC when Derrick Rose and Simeon was playing Evan Turner and St. Joes - 8000 people - a capacity crowd that night. I do know that downstate schools travel better than city schools and that downstate people might want to come to the Chicago area for a weekend, not only to see their school play but to do some stuff in the city.
Getting the right venue to play would be the key...

quince
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:28 am

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by quince » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:37 pm

94 Knight wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:23 am
Speaking of boards, I just check out of habit and it is far and few between. Spring is a pretty down time for the boards so it may be out of sight out of mind for me by the time football season rolls around. Also, I'm not a fan of a select few being able to delete and edit one poster's posts but they are free to post what ever they want. In my opinion that kind of stuff kills message boards and has kind of ran me off as a regular poster.
Bingo.

User avatar
illini25
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7780
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:09 am
Location: Rikers Island

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by illini25 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:27 pm

CIS wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:30 pm
illini25 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:56 pm
Conspiracy theory of the day.

CPS administration decided to see if they could get 2A, 3A and 4A titles this year so they persuaded Orr to stay in 2A.
Is that a true conspiracy you've heard? I don't believe it but I do know that Chicago stands a chance of winning three titles this year. That is one of the reasons I think the IHSA should consider going up north for the 3A-4A tournament. With the abundance of Chicago city and suburban teams you might get some decent attendance. If you had the right of matchup, a great city team against a great suburban team, you might draw 10,000 to game. I know when the city teams play in the city for championship type games that the attendance is pretty good. I went to sectional game at UIC when Derrick Rose and Simeon was playing Evan Turner and St. Joes - 8000 people - a capacity crowd that night. I do know that downstate schools travel better than city schools and that downstate people might want to come to the Chicago area for a weekend, not only to see their school play but to do some stuff in the city.
Getting the right venue to play would be the key...
I haven’t heard this. Just thinking out loud.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

User avatar
LincolnFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:05 pm

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by LincolnFan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Rooting for Metamora and Springfield Southeast tonight. Neither team has been to the state finals. Sure would be nice if both won.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3641
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by CIS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:28 pm

LincolnFan wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:25 pm
Rooting for Metamora and Springfield Southeast tonight. Neither team has been to the state finals. Sure would be nice if both won.
Yes, that would be nice. A Southeast-Metamora matchup would be interesting.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4862
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by deejay » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:13 pm

Did I here that Metamora and Washington were vying for summer recruits and Limestone lost out?
go cubs go!

quince
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:28 am

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by quince » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:07 pm

deejay wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:13 pm
Did I here that Metamora and Washington were vying for summer recruits and Limestone lost out?
Metamora had a kid transfer in from Limestone, if that's what you're asking.

SMmustang82
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by SMmustang82 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:35 pm

Here is my thought, for what it is worth. Hard to be passionate about high school teams when half the rosters are transfer kids. I know it is the way of the world these days but I enjoy homegrown talent. I am probably exaggerating about the percent of transfer kids ( or am I?) but two key players in Metamora's win over Washington, were transfers from Washington. Now they are adding a player from Limestone.

User avatar
Oskee
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:07 pm

Re: No Excitement For Metamora?

Post by Oskee » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:55 pm

SMmustang82 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:35 pm
Hard to be passionate about high school teams when half the rosters are transfer kids. I know it is the way of the world these days but I enjoy homegrown talent.
We've decided to not separate them from their parents at the county line. :twisted:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests