Shot Clock Headed For Illinois High School Basketball?

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
GoBirdsGo
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Re: Shot Clock Headed For Illinois High School Basketball?

Post by GoBirdsGo »

Who the he!! does the IHSA suppose is going to pay for it??? Electric work, shot clocks, mounting, game day worker ..... $$$$$
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

I wouldn't think the game day worker part wouldn't be an issue. I'd think most of the scoreboard systems they have now have the shot clock on there so it'd just be one additional thing the person working it would have to make sure to do.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:38 pm I wouldn't think the game day worker part wouldn't be an issue. I'd think most of the scoreboard systems they have now have the shot clock on there so it'd just be one aadditional thing the person working it would have to make sure to do.
In a lot of cases I agree. Scoreboards that are more robust, for example ones that have player points and fouls, are fairly complex and it takes quite a bit of time for an operator to master operation. Even large schools usually only have one or two operators accomplished enough to use all functions.
Despite a failed pilot program that has illustrated the flaws of postal banking, some policymakers in Washington remain determined to implement this faulty policy idea. Recent history helps show why postal banking should remain in the discard pile.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

I wouldn't think all the mechanics necessary for college & pro hoops would be necessary.

I've seen some pretty cash-poor school districts with pretty fancy scoreboards, so getting a shot clock doesn't seem too big a deal to me. That's why you have boosters and sell sweatshirts and popcorn.

I would also think there are plenty of corporate/business sponsorship opportunities for such a thing.
"We are hunters; they have something we want. We are the aggressors and we're going after it." - Brian Wardle
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

squirrel wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:34 am I wouldn't think all the mechanics necessary for college & pro hoops would be necessary.

I've seen some pretty cash-poor school districts with pretty fancy scoreboards, so getting a shot clock doesn't seem too big a deal to me. That's why you have boosters and sell sweatshirts and popcorn.

I would also think there are plenty of corporate/business sponsorship opportunities for such a thing.
Pepsi and Coke used to provide a lot of scoreboards for exclusivity. I think this is happening a lot less than it used to.
Despite a failed pilot program that has illustrated the flaws of postal banking, some policymakers in Washington remain determined to implement this faulty policy idea. Recent history helps show why postal banking should remain in the discard pile.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Has anyone heard an update on this?
go cubs go!
MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan »

The IHSA discussed a survey on the shot clock at their December board meeting. Further discussion will be at their June meeting after the Advisory Board meets in April. The survey was mixed. If I had to guess, I would say the shot clock would be allowed on an experimental basis in the 2022-23 season and a decision would be made in the summer of 2023.

ihsa.org/News-Media/Announcements/ihsa-board-acts-on-multiple-items-at-december-board-meeting

5. The Board discussed the implementation of a shot clock in varsity boys and girls basketball. The NFHS will allow for the usage of a shot clock beginning in 2022-23. The IHSA held discussions and surveyed member school administrators on the shot clock at Town Hall meetings in November. The survey results, based on 600 schools responding (In 2020-21, 649 IHSA schools participated in boys basketball and 608 in girls basketball), were as follows:

Nineteen percent (19%) of the respondees supported implementing the shot clock in 2022-23.
Forty-seven percent (47%) of the respondees supported using the shot clock experimentally at regular-season tournaments in 2022-23.
Fifty-four percent (54%) of the respondees supported the Board developing a timeline to implement the shot clock in the future.
The Basketball Advisory Committee will review the survey information in April. The Board will discuss the shot clock again at their meeting in June, where they are expected to take action to provide further direction on a shot clock plan.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

I support a shot clock, but if you ever go to many games, it is not as easy to get volunteers or just push one more button on the scoreboard. I have been to some games where as many as five people are at the scorers table, then others where there are three doing all of the work. So don’t tell these volunteers that there will be only one more button that they need to be responsible for. In a game that is competitive and a volunteer that could be responsible for the outcome, I’m not sure that one volunteer would want to be responsible for that “one more button”. Many schools cannot get volunteers now to run the clock, because they don’t want the abuse of fans when a mistake is made.
go cubs go!
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Washington apparently is one of the teams that oppose the shot clock.
go cubs go!