Illinois High School gyms

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Illinois High School gyms

Post by illini25 »

Despite a failed pilot program that has illustrated the flaws of postal banking, some policymakers in Washington remain determined to implement this faulty policy idea. Recent history helps show why postal banking should remain in the discard pile.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Illinois High School gyms

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

I would agree with the Jacksonville Bowl being on the list. Great venue to go see a game in, even if you don't have a rooting interest.

Never been to the gym in Taylorville but looks like a good game to see a venue in based on what I see on TV.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Dakota and Jacksonville are only two on list I haven’t been to for a game. Good list but I’d say there are others deserving that aren’t on list.
Despite a failed pilot program that has illustrated the flaws of postal banking, some policymakers in Washington remain determined to implement this faulty policy idea. Recent history helps show why postal banking should remain in the discard pile.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

I’ve never been to a game at Quincy as a fan (played there once). I would like to attend game there.

I think Ottawa has a cool gym.

Three gyms that ADs and coaches tell me are awesome -
Evanston, Glenbrook South and Argo.
I’d really like to check them out, especially Argo.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

There's some good gyms down this direction you should check out too.

The Winchester Invitational Tournament is happening right now (Championship game is being played tonight actually) and takes place at the grade school in Winchester. You can stream the games online through the Central Illinois Sports page on YouTube to see what it's like there.

Never been to a game at Lober-Nika gym (Lanphier) but I've heard it's quite the place to go to see a game at.

Pleasant Plains has a new gym that I saw a game in last month and looks really nice.

I'm going to be interested to see how new gym in Williamsville will look once they build it. Since it's going to be more of a fieldhouse with multiple courts, I could see them running more stuff during the holiday tournament.

The home gym I went to games growing up at is good too (though I'm admittedly biased).
Oldschoolrocknroll
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Oldschoolrocknroll »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:25 am There's some good gyms down this direction you should check out too.

The Winchester Invitational Tournament is happening right now (Championship game is being played tonight actually) and takes place at the grade school in Winchester. You can stream the games online through the Central Illinois Sports page on YouTube to see what it's like there.

Never been to a game at Lober-Nika gym (Lanphier) but I've heard it's quite the place to go to see a game at.

Pleasant Plains has a new gym that I saw a game in last month and looks really nice.

I'm going to be interested to see how new gym in Williamsville will look once they build it. Since it's going to be more of a fieldhouse with multiple courts, I could see them running more stuff during the holiday tournament.

The home gym I went to games growing up at is good too (though I'm admittedly biased).
Once saw Andrea Iguodala play in the sophomore game at Lanphier v Springfield high and Springfield High varsity was coached by Eric Buescher. Lanphier is the best HS gym in Springfield, but the Convention Center there is a great place to see games. For my money one of the best loudest and just simply nostalgic gyms in that area is Lincoln. Further south Collinsville and Cahokia but right there in the central Illinois area ... check out Lewiston.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Oldschoolrocknroll wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:47 am
Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:25 am There's some good gyms down this direction you should check out too.

Once saw Andrea Iguodala play in the sophomore game at Lanphier v Springfield high and Springfield High varsity was coached by Eric Buescher. Lanphier is the best HS gym in Springfield, but the Convention Center there is a great place to see games. For my money one of the best loudest and just simply nostalgic gyms in that area is Lincoln. Further south Collinsville and Cahokia but right there in the central Illinois area ... check out Lewiston.
Been to the gym at Lewistown before. Was always surprised how much Native American imagery they were able to get away with there. Though I'm sure they had some agreement with Dickson Mounds. Was at a game there about 20 years ago that I'll never forgot. Ref kept pausing the game every so often because the uniform of one of the players kept getting untucked during the course of the play. Got really annoying to watch after awhile.

It's interesting you bring up the convention center. The BOS Center is actually going to be hosting a Supersectional in both 2A and 3A this year. Previously the 2A Supersectional was held at the TRAC at UIS.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Glad to see Taylorville on list. Concrete bleachers with boards bolted to them. Fans sit well above the floor. Signed basketballs from Taylorville greats Johnny Orr and Ron Bontemps in trophy case.
go cubs go!
bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bigdaddystuck »

Not a bad list though my favorite would have to be Robertson. My dad worked at Bradley and I grew up learning and playing basketball on that raised floor. I still say to this day that learning to shoot in that gym helped me play in places like Pekin on the one end where there was nothing behind the backboard. I love gyms like Taylorville's
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner.
Vince Lombardi
Butler Blue
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Butler Blue »

Used to coach in some old gyms in some old school buildings. I can't remember if it was Grdiley High School, or Cullom Tri-Point, but whichever it was had an inbounds line inside of the out of bounds lines because there wasn't enough room to stand out of bounds (between the line and the walls) to put the ball in play.

I also remember playing at San Jose High School, where there wasn't enough room to shoot a 3 from the corners if you wore more than a size 10 shoe.
GoBirdsGo
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by GoBirdsGo »

Lincoln, Putnam County, Williamsville, Washburn, Hartsburg-Emden, Warrensburg-Latham, Richwoods, Metamora's "OLD" gym(not Garber Gymnasium but the oldest one), Athens, Midland, Peoria Heights, Decatur MacArthur, Wethersfield, Eureka College, Shirk Center, Ridgeview, ElPaso-Gridley, Unity .....
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

GoBirdsGo wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:30 pm Lincoln, Putnam County, Williamsville, Washburn, Hartsburg-Emden, Warrensburg-Latham, Richwoods, Metamora's "OLD" gym(not Garber Gymnasium but the oldest one), Athens, Midland, Peoria Heights, Decatur MacArthur, Wethersfield, Eureka College, Shirk Center, Ridgeview, ElPaso-Gridley, Unity .....
What do you like about Richwoods gym?
I also like Hartem’s gym.

Rockford Boylan is my personal favorite.
Butler Blue
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Butler Blue »

illini25 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:40 pm
GoBirdsGo wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:30 pm Lincoln, Putnam County, Williamsville, Washburn, Hartsburg-Emden, Warrensburg-Latham, Richwoods, Metamora's "OLD" gym(not Garber Gymnasium but the oldest one), Athens, Midland, Peoria Heights, Decatur MacArthur, Wethersfield, Eureka College, Shirk Center, Ridgeview, ElPaso-Gridley, Unity .....

I hated the Hartem gym. Probably because we rarely won there. I remember one season the referees last names were both Cross, and there were 2 or 3 Cross boys on the team.
MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan »

Butler Blue wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:33 am Used to coach in some old gyms in some old school buildings. I can't remember if it was Grdiley High School, or Cullom Tri-Point, but whichever it was had an inbounds line inside of the out of bounds lines because there wasn't enough room to stand out of bounds (between the line and the walls) to put the ball in play.

I also remember playing at San Jose High School, where there wasn't enough room to shoot a 3 from the corners if you wore more than a size 10 shoe.
That was Tri-Point, at least the last times we played there (early 2000s). I think Gridley might have had the red restraining line, as did Chenoa, but they didn't use it. Tri-Point was also a place where you couldn't shoot a three from the corner unless you had small feet.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Butler Blue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:13 am

I hated the Hartem gym. Probably because we rarely won there. I remember one season the referees last names were both Cross, and there were 2 or 3 Cross boys on the team.
Well about 40% of Hartsburg and Emden farm families are named Cross. :P
GoBirdsGo
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by GoBirdsGo »

Plenty of parking. Plenty of room outside the gym to mill around. Gym is more than adequate in terms of capacity. It just "feels" and "looks" like a high school Basketball gymnasium. Kind of old school'ish. Hope that makes sense.
GoBirdsGo
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by GoBirdsGo »

Butler Blue wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:13 am

Without question, and no other places even compare, the two biggest hose jobs I personally witnessed while following my nephews while at Tremont were when they played at Hartem & Washburn. A minute or so into the game. any sane Tremont fan knew they were in for a long night. Had to have the mindset you were down 15 already at tip off.

Basketball ... Hartem & Washburn
Football ... Ridgeview & Niantic Sangamon Valley
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

GoBirdsGo wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:30 pm

Plenty of parking. Plenty of room outside the gym to mill around. Gym is more than adequate in terms of capacity. It just "feels" and "looks" like a high school Basketball gymnasium. Kind of old school'ish. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks. Makes sense.

I always liked RHS gym, as well as Peoria High. Manual, and Woodruff gyms. Just wouldn’t put any of them in my favorite 10. I get it though.
GoBirdsGo
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by GoBirdsGo »

illini25 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:04 pm
GoBirdsGo wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:30 pm

Thanks. Makes sense.

I always liked RHS gym, as well as Peoria High. Manual, and Woodruff gyms. Just wouldn’t put any of them in my favorite 10. I get it though.
I'd aslo like to add Elmwood and Brimfield's old gym to the list of favorites.