notre dame

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
peobigelow
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

notre dame

Post by peobigelow »

i'm sure they will get better as the season progresses and several of the football players get into better shape, but what a mess right now. the lack of player development at the lower levels is really starting to show itself....

JMil684
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Re: notre dame

Post by JMil684 »

Looks like they had a few players come back after taking last year off. Always good to have seniors, but it isn't good to be losing with seniors.

A weak junior class hasn't helped either.

peobigelow
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by peobigelow »

another year and same question. young players do not want to stay in the program; those that do, do not improve and have 0 fun playing the game...very hard to watch, with little reason for hope in the near future. i would argue that this years senior class had more talent than both the junior and sophomore classes as incoming freshmen; however, the staff gave up on them early and thus many of the kids decided they had better things to do.

jmc
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by jmc »

peobigelow wrote:another year and same question. young players do not want to stay in the program; those that do, do not improve and have 0 fun playing the game...very hard to watch, with little reason for hope in the near future. i would argue that this years senior class had more talent than both the junior and sophomore classes as incoming freshmen; however, the staff gave up on them early and thus many of the kids decided they had better things to do.
This is the same coaching staff that went to a sectional last year and super-sectional the year before. Also, many of the same staff that went 28-1 in 2011. They seemed to teach and coach the players well back then. Could it be that it isn't the staff and maybe the talent level is not as good this year. From what I have seen, the effort from most of the players is good, they just don't have any superstars.

Not sure what seniors at PND now would have made this team much better.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

jmc wrote:
peobigelow wrote:another year and same question. young players do not want to stay in the program; those that do, do not improve and have 0 fun playing the game...very hard to watch, with little reason for hope in the near future. i would argue that this years senior class had more talent than both the junior and sophomore classes as incoming freshmen; however, the staff gave up on them early and thus many of the kids decided they had better things to do.
This is the same coaching staff that went to a sectional last year and super-sectional the year before. Also, many of the same staff that went 28-1 in 2011. They seemed to teach and coach the players well back then. Could it be that it isn't the staff and maybe the talent level is not as good this year. From what I have seen, the effort from most of the players is good, they just don't have any superstars.

Not sure what seniors at PND now would have made this team much better.
Its all your fault jmc for not recru.... ummmm.... getting more St Marys kids
Sorry I couldn't resist :lol:
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

jmc
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by jmc »

I tried, like I am going to tell Reggie, I offered to drive any student/ATHLETE to PND if they wanted. No one seemed to want to sit in the bed of my pickup. :(

peobigelow
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by peobigelow »

i agree, the players usually always play hard, the talent is just not there right now and not in the near future. yes, the did win their regional last year, but that team as a whole was a big disappointment and lost 20 games...with hanley and washington (not a great basketball player, but a great physical presence in high school) alone, they should have never lost 20 games.

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

jmc wrote:I tried, like I am going to tell Reggie, I offered to drive any student/ATHLETE to PND if they wanted. No one seemed to want to sit in the bed of my pickup. :(
Not true. GBG and crkamm were more than willing to take that ride.

Of course we'd need to redefine "athlete" to qualify them for the ride. :P
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Reggie wrote:
jmc wrote:I tried, like I am going to tell Reggie, I offered to drive any student/ATHLETE to PND if they wanted. No one seemed to want to sit in the bed of my pickup. :(

Based on what happened at Dee-Mack we know GBG's sport wasn't eating contest.
We will not have to fight you. We will so weaken your economy until you will fall like overripe fruit into our hands. The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Khrushchev ‘59

GoBirdsGo II
All Universe
All Universe

Post by GoBirdsGo II »

illini25 wrote:
Reggie wrote:

:lol:
You KNEEL for the Lord and STAND for The National Anthem!!!

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

illini25 wrote:
Reggie wrote:

Yeah, he is obviously no relative of Larry Finklestein. :lol:
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

jmc
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by jmc »

peobigelow wrote:i agree, the players usually always play hard, the talent is just not there right now and not in the near future. yes, the did win their regional last year, but that team as a whole was a big disappointment and lost 20 games...with hanley and washington (not a great basketball player, but a great physical presence in high school) alone, they should have never lost 20 games.
It was a disappointment last year, but some players did not have a good season. They needed an outside threat that never materialized. Also, PND plays in a very tough conference in boys basketball and had a pretty tough non-conference schedule. I don't think that falls on the coaches only. Players have to also work to make themselves better. Coaches can only play the hand that is dealt them. Sports are far too complicated to blame/reward only the coach or only the players. Anyone who has dealt with 15-18 year old teenagers knows it is a very difficult proposition. Then, to add parents who may believe their child(ren) should be the star, or get more playing time, etc. makes it doubly difficult. Unless it is egregiously illegal/unethical treatment, the rest of us need to stay away from too much criticism of coaches. And, yes I am biased as a high school coach.

peobigelow
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by peobigelow »

jmc wrote:
peobigelow wrote:i agree, the players usually always play hard, the talent is just not there right now and not in the near future. yes, the did win their regional last year, but that team as a whole was a big disappointment and lost 20 games...with hanley and washington (not a great basketball player, but a great physical presence in high school) alone, they should have never lost 20 games.
It was a disappointment last year, but some players did not have a good season. They needed an outside threat that never materialized. Also, PND plays in a very tough conference in boys basketball and had a pretty tough non-conference schedule. I don't think that falls on the coaches only. Players have to also work to make themselves better. Coaches can only play the hand that is dealt them. Sports are far too complicated to blame/reward only the coach or only the players. Anyone who has dealt with 15-18 year old teenagers knows it is a very difficult proposition. Then, to add parents who may believe their child(ren) should be the star, or get more playing time, etc. makes it doubly difficult. Unless it is egregiously illegal/unethical treatment, the rest of us need to stay away from too much criticism of coaches. And, yes I am biased as a high school coach.
to me high school coaches should be evaluated on 3 major criteria:
1. do the players play hard, respectful and learn life lessons?
2. do the players improve during their time in the program?
3. do the players have fun playing the game?
wins and loses will usually fall in line with the above

illinoisdad
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by illinoisdad »

This is, no doubt, a down year for the PND program. I don't know that there is much to read into it. They did have a long 10 years or so of competitive, entertaining teams with good talent. If they stay down more than a couple years, that's when it becomes a problem, from an attitude perspective.