9U Youth Baseball

For the civil discussion of high school baseball
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

9U Youth Baseball

Post by deejay »

I recently attended a weekend of youth traveling baseball. I was hoping that “win at all cost” was no longer a rule followed, but guessed wrong. I am told that there is an unwritten rule that a pitcher should not throw more than 75 pitches in a week of play. This weekend one team used a pitcher who threw more than 130 pitches all during the tournament and had his elbow iced down between games. That is according to a family member. Should new more stringent rules apply to traveling teams?
go cubs go!
iversonfan14
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 9U Youth Baseball

Post by iversonfan14 »

Oh no, its worse now than ever. When I coached 14U I called pitches for our team. Not because I knew everything about pitching but because I didn’t want my pitchers to develop arm problems in 14u. Our catcher came up to me one day and asked why I wasn’t calling more sliders because they are really effective. I explained it was because I was more interested in the pitcher having a long term career than winning a game in a 14U tourney. That pitcher went on to become a D3 All American. Unfortunately too many coaches don’t have that same mentality. As my son gets closer to the age of playing travel ball I am torn. I have no interest in coaching because of the mentality of parents nowadays but at the same time I don’t want someone clueless or strictly about winning travel tournaments ruining his interest in the sport
Butler Blue
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

A lot of responsible youth baseball organizations use the MLB Pitch Smart guidelines.

https://www.mlb.com/pitch-smart/pitchin ... /ages-9-12

For 9 year olds, they shouldn't throw more than 75 pitches in a game, and if they do, they shouldn't pitch again for 5 days.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

I recently went to a game to watch my 9 year old grandson. Teams and place is irrelevant, but what happened after the game wasn’t. The visiting team’s coach approached our coach and asked if our team would join his team for prayer at home plate. Players and coaches were lead in prayer by one of the opposing coaches and fans alike stopped what they were doing and many prayed along with them. Spontaneous and sincere. The score didn’t make any difference that night.
go cubs go!