For the civil discussion of high school baseball
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

1A/2A State Tournament

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Here are the Friday matchups for the 1A and 2A State Tournaments:

1A
10:00 AM: New Athens (19-17) vs. Bluford Webber (22-7)
Noon: Argenta-Oreana (23-5) vs. Crete Illinois Lutheran (25-2)

2A
3:00 PM: Pleasant Plains (29-11) vs. Freeburg (30-8)
5:00 PM: Byron (34-5) vs. Westmont (27-7-1)

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Re: 1A/2A State Tournament

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

For those of you planning on going to the state tournament games this weekend in Peoria or East Peoria, there are reports out now that the IHSA may change the game times of the title games on Saturday in order to avoid the potentially bad weather coming in.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Bluford Webber 5 New Athens 4 F/10

Crete Illinois Lutheran 1 Argenta-Oreana 0

Pleasant Plains 5 Freeburg 2

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Byron 6 Westmont 2

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Here's today's contingency plans for today's tournament games, per channel1450.com who got this from the IHSA:

The first 1A consolation game will be no more than a 7 inning game. 1A championship will be played immediately following. All games will will be played back to back making the 2A schedule more closely to 1:30 and 3:30 starts. As weather dictates later this morning our options will be to reduce the 2A consolation to a 5 inning game or to flip flop the 2A title and consolation games. Currently we plan to play in previous scheduled order.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Another update: 2A State title game between Pleasant Plains and Byron has been moved up to 1:30 PM due to the impending weather. The 2A 3rd place game between Freeburg and Westmont will start afterward.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Argenta-Oreana 7 New Athens 1

Crete Illinois Lutheran 12 Bluford Webber 2 F/6

Pleasant Plains 7 Byron 1 F/5 (Game called with 2 outs in the bottom of the 6th due to player safety concerns and the heavy rain in the Peoria area; because game was in bottom of the 6th the score returns to the previously completed inning)

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Also forgot to mention that with the championship game being called, the 3rd place game for 2A was cancelled entirely.

Here's an article regarding the rain-outs of today's games and how some of the Byron coaches and players felt: http://www.bnd.com/2014/06/07/3246218/h ... 9/205/220/

I'd be curious to get you all's take on the situation with the 2A state title game. Byron had the bases loaded with 2 outs in the 6th and Pleasant Plains leading 7-2. Now while there's no guarantee that Byron would have came back to win the game, if they could gotten the field playable at Dozer Park either late today or early tomorrow, wouldn't it have been better to at least let the two teams play out the remainder of the game?

Mike Adams
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Mike Adams »

"Anderson said "it's an absolutely last resort" to play any state playoff games on Sunday."

I think this would qualify as a last resort. Plus, all I have heard from Peoria and Dozer Field is how well it drains - why wouldn't they wait until midnight to call it? What time was it when they made the call? I would think for a state championship the fans and teams would be willing to wait as long as it takes. Sounds like a good case to move the tournament to an all-weather field...Corn Crib?

I have gone to the state tournament twice now and the emphasis seems to always be about speeding through the day. Both times I have expected the atmosphere to be more exciting. This weekend is the culmination of a lot of hard work by these teams and then they are welcomed by the IHSA with the tagline "Let's just get this game over with." Why is everything such a rush? The IHSA would be a better organization if they focused more on what provided the best experience for the kids rather than what is the quickest way to crown a champion. Cancelling (or shortening) the 3rd place games has happened before and it is a horrible representation of education. Why even have a 3rd place game if it may be cancelled or shortened? The IHSA has made it very clear that it does not matter...except to the teams fighting for 3rd place.

Maybe I have sour grapes because baseball is my favorite sport and it doesn't get the same pub and emphasis as football and basketball - no $$$$$ in baseball apparently.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Mike Adams wrote:What time was it when they made the call?
They made the call at about 7:30 Saturday night. The teams had been sitting through a rain delay of about 4 hours at that point.