Metamora Redbird Baseball

For the civil discussion of high school baseball
fredbirdtheredbird
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:12 am

Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by fredbirdtheredbird » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Believe it or not this could be an even better year for the Metamora Redbirds High School baseball team. The Birds return a slew full of talented upper classmen and if they stay healthy, the Birds could even win a State Championship this season. Combination of great pitching and great hitting up & down the lineup. Fans that get out to support will be in for a real treat. Fun & very talented group to watch. The baseball team's recent regular season & post-season success has them on par with the football program here. :td

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4774
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by deejay » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:09 pm

When do the suspended players return?
go cubs go!

JSCKMA
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by JSCKMA » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:36 pm

fredbirdtheredbird wrote:Believe it or not this could be an even better year for the Metamora Redbirds High School baseball team. The Birds return a slew full of talented upper classmen and if they stay healthy, the Birds could even win a State Championship this season. Combination of great pitching and great hitting up & down the lineup. Fans that get out to support will be in for a real treat. Fun & very talented group to watch. The baseball team's recent regular season & post-season success has them on par with the football program here. :td
Wow! Even better than a tie for 5th in the conference? Woo hoo!

On par with the football program? Puh-leez.

User avatar
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7885
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Butcher Hollow, KY

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by Reggie » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:31 pm

fredbirdtheredbird wrote:The baseball team's recent regular season & post-season success has them on par with the football program here. :td
Love the enthusiasm if not the accuracy.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6318
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:15 pm

Reggie wrote:
fredbirdtheredbird wrote:The baseball team's recent regular season & post-season success has them on par with the football program here. :td
Love the enthusiasm if not the accuracy.
That's baseball where getting a hit 1/3 at bats is hall of fame where as completing only 1/3 passes in football is Tim Tebow.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

User avatar
Bearfin13
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 pm

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by Bearfin13 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:38 am

JSCKMA wrote:[ :td
Wow! Even better than a tie for 5th in the conference? Woo hoo!

.[/quote]

Maybe not quite on par with the football team, but I'll take last in conference and a state trip any day over a 1st in conference and a one and done.

User avatar
Bearfin13
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 pm

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by Bearfin13 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:40 am

And before the Bird nation jumps on me, that was in general not a reference to any team. :D

User avatar
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7885
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Butcher Hollow, KY

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by Reggie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:07 pm

Bearfin13 wrote:Maybe not quite on par with the football team, but I'll take last in conference and a state trip any day over a 1st in conference and a one and done.
May I ask which team finished last in conference but made state- in any sport?
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

YIplay
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:58 am

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by YIplay » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:41 am

fredbirdtheredbird wrote:Believe it or not this could be an even better year for the Metamora Redbirds High School baseball team. The Birds return a slew full of talented upper classmen and if they stay healthy, the Birds could even win a State Championship this season. Combination of great pitching and great hitting up & down the lineup. Fans that get out to support will be in for a real treat. Fun & very talented group to watch. The baseball team's recent regular season & post-season success has them on par with the football program here. :td
They are loaded with talent and should be able to make a deep run. However, after this year, back to irrelevance.

User avatar
firefighter13
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Posts: 1865
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by firefighter13 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:59 am

YIplay wrote:
fredbirdtheredbird wrote:Believe it or not this could be an even better year for the Metamora Redbirds High School baseball team. The Birds return a slew full of talented upper classmen and if they stay healthy, the Birds could even win a State Championship this season. Combination of great pitching and great hitting up & down the lineup. Fans that get out to support will be in for a real treat. Fun & very talented group to watch. The baseball team's recent regular season & post-season success has them on par with the football program here. :td
They are loaded with talent and should be able to make a deep run. However, after this year, back to irrelevance.

Not sure about that. There are some nice players coming up from the lower levels. Coach Stone is building a very nice program.
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

User avatar
Bearfin13
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 pm

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by Bearfin13 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:49 am

Reggie wrote:
Bearfin13 wrote:Maybe not quite on par with the football team, but I'll take last in conference and a state trip any day over a 1st in conference and a one and done.
May I ask which team finished last in conference but made state- in any sport?
Lol. Ok a little extreme. I'll take 5th in conference and 3rd in state then.

Hypothetical. I would take last in conference and 1st in state though. :lol: :D :lol:

User avatar
Oskee
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:07 pm

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by Oskee » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:38 pm

Bearfin13 wrote:Hypothetical. I would take last in conference and 1st in state though. :lol: :D :lol:
Not sure I always would. State trophies are really nice, but unless you had a lot of injuries and just got healthy at the right time you probably didn't deserve a State trophy anyway. There is something about a team that comes together and slugs it out over a 2 month regular season to win a conference title. That may say more about a team and coaching staff and create more positive memories than a 2 week hot stretch at the end.

hulk
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:04 pm

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by hulk » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:22 am

Some of you guys are really something. You can't begin to equate a baseball regular season to a football regular season. Even at the pro level a team with a 90-72 record is pretty good. As far as the regular season vs state is concerned, I will take the state series every single time. Regular season is just practice for the state series.

baseballfan43
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by baseballfan43 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:56 pm

I'll be very interested to see how far the Redbirds can go in the postseason this season. Metamora is an extremely talented bunch.. Skender, Fairfield, Johnson, etc.. I think they have the hitting, fielding & pitching this season to get far in the state tournament. Morton and Richwoods are among other large-school teams to keep an eye on in the postseason. Early to have prediction but just throwing it out there..

User avatar
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 15554
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:12 pm
Location: Morton

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by Beanie » Mon May 25, 2015 8:45 am

baseballfan43 wrote:I'll be very interested to see how far the Redbirds can go in the postseason this season. Metamora is an extremely talented bunch.. Skender, Fairfield, Johnson, etc.. I think they have the hitting, fielding & pitching this season to get far in the state tournament. Morton and Richwoods are among other large-school teams to keep an eye on in the postseason. Early to have prediction but just throwing it out there..
How about that Washington Regional? Geesh…
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com

User avatar
O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4388
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:22 pm

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by O&B 78 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:51 am

Beanie wrote:
baseballfan43 wrote:I'll be very interested to see how far the Redbirds can go in the postseason this season. Metamora is an extremely talented bunch.. Skender, Fairfield, Johnson, etc.. I think they have the hitting, fielding & pitching this season to get far in the state tournament. Morton and Richwoods are among other large-school teams to keep an eye on in the postseason. Early to have prediction but just throwing it out there..
How about that Washington Regional? Geesh…
Sectionals may seem like a walk in the park afterwards

1. Metamora

2. Washington

3. Morton

4. East Peoria

5. Fairbury (Prairie Central)
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

Bocceballchampion
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by Bocceballchampion » Mon May 25, 2015 10:15 am

Metamora will be the favorite all the way through the super sectional game. Senior team with solid hitting and pitching. Morton, a young team, 3 seniors in lineup has hit the ball from day 1. 3 of 4 losses coming to solid pitching performances from kids from Chatham, Metamora and Pekin. Potters pitching and defense has been surprisingly well this season. Washington another solid team could beat any one in the post season with Cook pitching.

User avatar
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7885
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Butcher Hollow, KY

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by Reggie » Tue May 26, 2015 8:58 am

The crap-shoot of the one-and-done format of the playoffs makes any team vulnerable no matter how strong they appear. I have seen a Metamora team with a similar record lose their first game against a very sub-par opponent. Then you have cases like last season where a talented Metamora team languished in the middle of the pack in the Mid-Illini then finished third in state.

I am very hopeful that this Metamora team can make another run at it but kind of nervous knowing that all it takes is a great pitching performance by the opponent or a bad pitching performance by their own team and suddenly it could be all over.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4774
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by deejay » Tue May 26, 2015 10:23 am

Has Trent Johnson pitch at all this year or is he still in rehab for his surgery?
go cubs go!

User avatar
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7885
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Butcher Hollow, KY

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by Reggie » Tue May 26, 2015 11:44 am

deejay wrote:Has Trent Johnson pitch at all this year or is he still in rehab for his surgery?
I do not believe he has nor do I expect him to. It is scary thinking how good this team would have been the last couple years with him as the #1 and Guerrero and Lewis as #2 and #3. But what a luxury to have three guys that would be #1 on most staffs.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

Gdawg1095
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by Gdawg1095 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:33 pm

Anyone know how seedings were made for this regional? Must be by conference record I'm guessing. No way Morton three seed with an overall record of 31-4

User avatar
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7885
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Butcher Hollow, KY

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by Reggie » Tue May 26, 2015 6:31 pm

Gdawg1095 wrote:Anyone know how seedings were made for this regional? Must be by conference record I'm guessing. No way Morton three seed with an overall record of 31-4
It really does not matter as they would have been in the #2 vs. #3 game anyway. There was not way they would have been a #1 over a team that beat them twice.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

User avatar
USD24
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:57 pm

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by USD24 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:05 am

Gdawg1095 wrote:Anyone know how seedings were made for this regional? Must be by conference record I'm guessing. No way Morton three seed with an overall record of 31-4
All IHSA seedings are done by the coaches who have teams in the regional. Each coach ranks the teams in the regional (cannot vote own team #1 seed), the ballets are added up and the team with the most votes, gets the #1 seed and so on down the line.

User avatar
O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4388
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:22 pm

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by O&B 78 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:48 pm

Washington over Morton 3-2 in 8
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

User avatar
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7885
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Butcher Hollow, KY

Re: Metamora Redbird Baseball

Post by Reggie » Wed May 27, 2015 10:21 pm

O&B 78 wrote:Washington over Morton 3-2 in 8
Can't wait to see the GBG brick at the Panther Plex on Saturday. :gagr
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests