Lady Potters Softball

For the civil discussion of high school softball
GoBirdsGo II
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Lady Potters Softball

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:06 pm

Congrat's to "J" on being hired as their new coach. IMHO, a win-win for both. Morton got an amazing athlete/young lady while J gets to work(aide) and coach in a wonderful school district. :shake

http://www.mortontimesnews.com/article/ ... /2000/NEWS
Knute Rockne .. "They'll give ya the ball and you just run with it." George Gip .. "How far?"

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Lady Potters Softball

Post by deejay » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:06 am

So GBG, looks like your blood flows Cherry and Gray this spring?! Their new diamond at Birchwood Park will be ready for 2016.
go cubs go!

mailman
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by mailman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:38 pm

Congrats to Justine!!!! I think it is so great that another former standout player gets to come back and Coach in the Conference.
The Mid Illini should be very interesting this season, I'm curious to see how it plays out.
"Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up."

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:13 pm

Bids are being let for new Lady Potters new facility at Birchwood Park. Work should begin in July, if the rain ever let's up. It appears that they will need to correct a severe drainage issue that occurred when they build the new parking lot on higher than the baseball complex. The new diamond will be located in the area that was the former parking lot.
go cubs go!

Hawks
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Hawks » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:44 am

I had heard the same thing also concerning the drainage issue. The school board could have saved the tax payers $$s if they had taken one of the current fields out at Birchwood and renovated it versus building new field. For about half $$s they would have as nice of field as building new one. That is what they did with the varsity baseball field and IMHO it is one of the nicest high school fields in the area.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:54 am

The bids were opened this weekend and came in higher than expected. What is next? The diamond is being built on Park District land. Time is wasting!
go cubs go!

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Only 2 bids and both were rejected at Tuesday's board meeting. Back to square one.
go cubs go!

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:09 pm

Work has begun on the new digs in Birchwood Park!
go cubs go!

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:32 pm

The Lady Potters finally got to play at their new park, one game. Nice setting in Birchwood Park. If only the School and Park District would have found a way to spend a fee dollars to light the parking lot. A dangerous situation when it is pitch dark. Diamonds are used throughout the summer. After all if you spend nearly close to 2 million for the whole thing, what a few $$$$ for lighting the lot!
go cubs go!

MortonOutsider
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:56 pm

deejay wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:32 pm
The Lady Potters finally got to play at their new park, one game. Nice setting in Birchwood Park. If only the School and Park District would have found a way to spend a fee dollars to light the parking lot. A dangerous situation when it is pitch dark. Diamonds are used throughout the summer. After all if you spend nearly close to 2 million for the whole thing, what a few $$$$ for lighting the lot!
Official Grand Opening is Tuesday, April 18 at 4pm.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:30 am

Great grand opening. Now we need some players in order to get the program back to respectability.
go cubs go!

MortonOutsider
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:14 am

deejay wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:30 am
Great grand opening. Now we need some players in order to get the program back to respectability.
That may take a while.
The high school started over with a (badly needed) new coach a couple years ago, but she does not participate in the MJHS program, which is puzzling. The old coach had players quitting in droves - so much so that in a school of 950+ thy were having trouble filling line-ups for varsity and junior-varsity.

The school district and park district worked together to build the new diamond, but then one of the school board members ripped the park district for not paying enough (despite the parks having paid for more than half). There is still some animosity there.

The youth program, particularly the non-travel leagues, has suffered greatly over the years. The one person responsible for this is now gone, starting this season. (That one person also caused a one-year delay in the opening of the new park.)
Already there has been significant improvement with things as simple as scheduling.

There is still a lot of trust to build back, though, and that will take time.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Yes there is a lot of distrust, but not sure we can blame this all on one person. There was a lot of back peddling by the park district after school board bought the land for expansion. And unless the park district gets rid of the antiquated and outdated participation rule limiting player use from other communities, all sports will continue to struggle. Soccer and softball were once powers in Morton, but no more. You can direct it right back to these by laws.
go cubs go!

MortonOutsider
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:39 am

deejay wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:39 pm
Yes there is a lot of distrust, but not sure we can blame this all on one person. There was a lot of back peddling by the park district after school board bought the land for expansion. And unless the park district gets rid of the antiquated and outdated participation rule limiting player use from other communities, all sports will continue to struggle. Soccer and softball were once powers in Morton, but no more. You can direct it right back to these by laws.
That, right there, is a load of ^^.
That's dead wrong.
That rules is there for a very good reason.

You can't go to school at Morton unless you live in the district (or pay tuition).
You can't check out books at the library unless you live within the city limits (or pay to join).
This limit seems very fair.

...and again, with you, it's is about competition and wins....for 8 and 10 and 12 years olds. Ridiculous. How did we ever function without expensive travel teams back in the day?

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:05 am

MortonOutsider wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:39 am
deejay wrote:
That's dead wrong.

You can't go to school at Morton unless you live in the district (or pay tuition).
You can't check out books at the library unless you live within the city limits (or pay to join).

...and again, with you, it's is about competition and wins....for 8 and 10 and 12 years olds. Ridiculous. How did we ever function without expensive travel teams back in the day?
Are you sure about the library? Pretty sure if you have a card from any other area public library you can borrow from other ones. At least Washingtons library says so.

"Library cards issued at Washington
District Library may be used at either
Washington Library location or any public library in Central Illinois."

And from Morton library website

"Where can I use my library card?

Your valid library card is also honored at other libraries that are tax-supported and are members of a library system in the state of Illinois."
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

MortonOutsider
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:25 am

O&B 78 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:05 am
MortonOutsider wrote:
deejay wrote:
That's dead wrong.

Are you sure about the library? Pretty sure if you have a card from any other area public library you can borrow from other ones. At least Washingtons library says so.

Your valid library card is also honored at other libraries that are tax-supported and are members of a library system in the state of Illinois."
Absaolutely positive.
If you live outside the city limits of Morton you must pay to access the library (You can visit for free but you can't check out materials.
School district stepped up for students, at least.
http://www.pekintimes.com/news/20160725 ... t-students

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:37 am

I can and have reserved books outside my library system. The book is delivered to my library for pickup at no charge.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:17 pm

MortonOutsider wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:25 am
O&B 78 wrote:
MortonOutsider wrote:

That's dead wrong.

Absaolutely positive.
If you live outside the city limits of Morton you must pay to access the library (You can visit for free but you can't check out materials.
I believe the article you linked is for students at Morton who live in rural areas of Morton outside of the library district and not in another library district can have access to the public library without the charge that they would ordinarily occur like the students that live in town.

MortonOutsider
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by MortonOutsider » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:41 pm

O&B 78 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:17 pm
MortonOutsider wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:25 am
O&B 78 wrote:

Absaolutely positive.
I believe the article you linked is for students at Morton who live in rural areas of Morton outside of the library district and not in another library district can have access to the public library without the charge that they would ordinarily occur like the students that live in town.
Like I said - if you don't live within the city limits you have to pay to join the library. That's why they cut a deal so that school kids who live outside the city limits can use the library.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:25 pm

The problem is the students live in no public library district and the parents pay no taxes to the library system. My point was that people outside of Morton can use and check out books from the Morton library as long as they have a valid card from a central Illinois library. Non Morton resisidents can get Morton pool memberships if they want to pay out of district fees. But then I'm really a MortonOutsider. Carry on, I'm done

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Not sure how we got into library cards on a softball discussion, but it is apparent that we have gotten off the softball team subject. Appears MortonOutsider has an agenda, so I won't comment further.
go cubs go!