Morton Softball

For the civil discussion of high school softball
MortonOutsider
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Morton Softball

Post by MortonOutsider » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:36 am

It's been almost a year since the Youth Softball purge in Morton.
Has MGSA improved?
How is the rebuild of MYSO coming along and how long before we will start to see a positive effect at the Junior High and HS level?

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Morton Softball

Post by Reggie » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:31 pm

MortonOutsider wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:36 am
It's been almost a year since the Youth Softball purge in Morton.
Has MGSA improved?
How is the rebuild of MYSO coming along and how long before we will start to see a positive effect at the Junior High and HS level?
Considering the Mystics cannot field a 14u team for 2017-18 I would say it is still a ways to go.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Update on MYSO. They have finally got a board and coaches who are interested in improving youth softball in Morton. They are fielding 2 12U teams this year. Junior High won a regional. The high school program on the other hand is 0-11, with only 2 seniors out, I believe. No improvement in the past three years. After watching, I don’t send a lot of talent on this team. Nor a lot of desire. Not sure what it will take, as Morton has had some really good teams in the past.
go cubs go!

WWJ17GBY

Post by WWJ17GBY » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:37 pm

I went and saw the MHS Varsity play recently. In my opinion slightly better than past two years, but fundamentally don't like they hustle after the ball and are not a great hitting team. Is it coaching?

WWJ17GBY

Post by WWJ17GBY » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:38 pm

I went and saw the MHS Varsity play recently. In my opinion slightly better than past two years, but fundamentally don't like they hustle after the ball and are not a great hitting team. Is it coaching?

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:12 am

Not sure. The coach comes from a very good background, but you are right fundamentally they need help. There is talent coming, just need the right people to help them along.
go cubs go!

GusBus

Post by GusBus » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:46 am

Several factors here in my opinion that contributed to not winning a conference game last season and zero games so far this season.
The current varsity team has only two seniors. Those two seniors are the only players on the whole team that play "A" level softball in the summer. Even though the pitching in the conference is said to be down this year, 7 of the 9 players on the roster probably have not hit off of this level of pitching. They are over-matched at the plate and have a high number of strikeouts each game.
Without having much travel experience, the players are not getting the constant instruction they need to improve their skills and face better competition in the summer. It's hard to assemble a team of players who probably don't even have a set position they have played. How can you work on becoming better when you don't even know what position you play or where you would be best at on defense? Note: two of the Morton pitchers are freshman and the other is a very good defensive middle infielder that has offered to help pitch some innings but has not taken lessons or even pitches on her summer travel team.

Coaching is probably just bad timing on the state of the program. Having a young former player might work on well if you had players coming in that already have the skill set and just need motivation and energy. I think this coach might excel in the right setting.
A veteran coach with an established program is what Morton probably needs, but it is going to take time to get that program in place. MGSA making the right moves at the younger levels by changing the rules in their rec leagues to be more softball fundamental focused and less of it just being summer play time and treat tickets.

As mentioned, the Mystics travel program now has 2 teams at the 12u level, 1 experienced 10u team and even an 8u this season. Yes, they are still a little behind on the other area programs, but I think they are making the right improvements that are going to show in the next 2-4 years at the high school program.
They do have a pretty good group of players coming in as freshman next year and several have the competitive summer travel experience that I think will help them get back to being a good softball town.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:59 pm

All great points, couldn’t agree with you more. How and when we can get to that next level will take a lot of soul searching.
go cubs go!