Need some running advice for Steamboat

For the discussion of fitness; workout routines, weight loss and all things related to a healthy lifestyle
Lil WARRIOR

Need some running advice for Steamboat

Post by Lil WARRIOR » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:14 am

For the past 10 year the Peoria Firefighters have gotten together and ran in gear for the steamboat to pay tribute to the brave men and women we lost September 11. I have never been a distance runner and usually don't run over 2 miles. We have to run 4 and I have a short time to prepare. If anyone has advice for a training schedule I would greatly appreciate it. I hate running but feel that I owe it to run this race atleast one time.

BirdWatcher
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Re: Need some running advice for Steamboat

Post by BirdWatcher » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:19 am

Run up on your toes and forefeet, short choppy steps, don't worry about speed.

It's tempting to plod along and pound your heels, but that will devastate your knees and shins.

When I started out running, I ran out as far as I could, then walked back. The next day I ran the same distance PLUS A LITTLE MORE. I didn't care if it was 1 extra stride or an extra 100 yards.... just do a bit more. Once I got to 3-4 miles total running, I stayed there for a long time. It took about 4 months to get "comfortable" doing that distance regularly.
Nick Vlahos - "BW, you're quite correct."

Lil WARRIOR

Re: Need some running advice for Steamboat

Post by Lil WARRIOR » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:35 am

Thanks