Realignment Uh-Oh

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Realignment Uh-Oh

Post by tribecalledquest » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:18 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:16 pm
It's obvious we have better basketball than the OVC. I'm guessing the issue is the debate from Belmont being this: big fish in a small pond or medium fish in a medium pond? They'd have no local rivals in the MVC, they'd have more travel and more monetary commitments. The basketball and the expsoure is better in the MVC, but is it enough to make up for losing local rivals and, to an extent, their identity?

I get the sense that Murray is more fed up with the OVC, and is more willing to burn bridges to try and move up. That's a program that has seen the ceiling for a OVC team and the ceiling for a MVC team, and wants the MVC ceiling.

We're at the point that Belmont and Murray are the only acceptable options. Valpo too I suppose. Omaha, Oakland, and NKU are acceptable from an upside standpoint but not exactly inspiring. Anyone else would be an outright mistake.
I would mildly surprised and disappointed if either/or Valpo and Murray weren't added. I would be upset if none of Valpo, Murray or Belmont were added. Although I don't think Belmont is interested.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:43 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:21 pm
TheAsianSensation wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:16 pm
It's obvious we have better basketball than the OVC. I'm guessing the issue is the debate from Belmont being this: big fish in a small pond or medium fish in a medium pond? They'd have no local rivals in the MVC, they'd have more travel and more monetary commitments. The basketball and the expsoure is better in the MVC, but is it enough to make up for losing local rivals and, to an extent, their identity?

I get the sense that Murray is more fed up with the OVC, and is more willing to burn bridges to try and move up. That's a program that has seen the ceiling for a OVC team and the ceiling for a MVC team, and wants the MVC ceiling.

We're at the point that Belmont and Murray are the only acceptable options. Valpo too I suppose. Omaha, Oakland, and NKU are acceptable from an upside standpoint but not exactly inspiring. Anyone else would be an outright mistake.
I agree with most of this. However, I think Omaha would go in the mistake category. I think Wright St and Milwaukee would be viable additions.

Let's just get Murray St and Belmont and the 12th we don't have to worry as much about...
I think Omaha has enough resources to be good at basketball, but they need to convert that into on-court product first. I think Wright and Milwaukee are a half-step behind on the resources front. You can compete being a half-step behind...Evansville almost binked a tournament appearance, but then again we are looking for candidates who can offer better than the Evansville peak.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:48 pm

When does everyone think will be the time period for this getting done?

I'd have to imagine the wheels will have to be in motion and the ink would have to be dry by June 1st...

But that is just a guess.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:01 pm

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:48 pm

I'd have to imagine the wheels will have to be in motion and the ink would have to be dry by June 1st...

We will have an answer by May 1 I think.
~Thomas Jefferson

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:18 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:01 pm
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:

We will have an answer by May 1 I think.
I don't think ink needs to be dry by any date in particular, but I'm sure boards of regents/trustees/etc. will have to vote to approve any move (which will likely impact budget numbers and those approvals, by extension) before the start of their FY for any move to go into effect for 2017-18.

It looks like Belmont has a June 1 FY start, while Murray and Valpo are July 1.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:28 pm

squirrel wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:18 pm

I don't think ink needs to be dry by any date in particular, but I'm sure boards of regents/trustees/etc. will have to vote to approve any move (which will likely impact budget numbers and those approvals, by extension) before the start of their FY for any move to go into effect for 2017-18.
I only sort of disagree with this, as I don't believe conferences are too keen on setting schedules and then needing to tell schools they have to find new opponents after X date because Team A or B decided to jump ship.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 pm

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:

To quote Yogi Berra, it gets late early out there.

I'd be shocked if a move is announced in May. Gotta be soon, or we just accept 9 teams for a year (which isn't a disaster or anything).

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:59 pm

I just want Murray so they can bring Mark Gottfried back.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

PH
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by PH » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:54 pm

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Darn it Elgin! Come on! Or something...
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

JMM28
All World
All World

Post by JMM28 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Tick tock. They need to get something going. Basketball needs to start finalizing their non-conference schedules.

What happens if one of the teams invited is already on the non-con schedule?

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:32 pm

This Murray St meeting probably won't just be a rubber stamp. There are a million moving pieces with them that has to be figured out.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:33 pm

JMM28 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:28 pm
Tick tock. They need to get something going. Basketball needs to start finalizing their non-conference schedules.

What happens if one of the teams invited is already on the non-con schedule?
I would imagine they'll have the option of just counting the existing game, or dropping it and adding another. That decision may depend on when it was already set. For example, Illinois St-Murray St was the season opener for both teams. They probably wouldn't want that. However, if they played on December 19, they might just keep it.

Edit: Or they may be able to move an existing date, while moving another existing non-con game to accommodate a switch might get a little trickier.

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:44 pm

And it doesn't get any less trickier the longer this drags out.

PH
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by PH » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:26 pm

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:56 pm

PH wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:26 pm
All of that means nothing. An "invitation" won't happen until the league knows Murray would accept.
~Thomas Jefferson

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:12 pm

The wordsmithing, secrecy, and intrigue being employed here is hilarious.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 pm

the plot thickens

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:39 pm

squirrel wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:12 pm
The wordsmithing, secrecy, and intrigue being employed here is hilarious.
The denial that's not a denial.

These folks have a future in politics.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Just some folks innocently shooting the breeze, talking sports. Nothing to see here.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

BUFanatic
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by BUFanatic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 am

Would they make the full move? Would football join the MVC Football Conference? Or just basketball? I've no idea as normally when you move the Football and Basketball/other sports conferences are the same. Not sure how it works for schools with Football memberships that want to move to the MVC.
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Murray State increased it's athletics budget by $1.4M and unanimously voted to consider and reconvene in the event of any future conference invitation.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:19 pm

squirrel wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:07 pm
Murray State increased it's athletics budget by $1.4M and unanimously voted to consider and reconvene in the event of any future conference invitation.
Welcome Racers!

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:20 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:19 pm
squirrel wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:07 pm
Welcome Racers!
Yep. They will be in the MVC.
~Thomas Jefferson

JMM28
All World
All World

Post by JMM28 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:58 pm

I don't hate the addition at all. Hope it includes two more schools, which my first choices would be Belmont and NKU. Nashville and Cincinnati would make convenient road trip locations.