2017 Schedule

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Re: 2017 Schedule

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:45 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:47 pm
squirrel wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:34 pm
dss03 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:55 pm
Maybe it helps nudge more home and homes between good midmajors too, when you don't have as much preening about who should be the premier program and is higher on the food chain. A little extra incentive to just table all that noise, and take the home and home if you're anywhere in the same neighborhood.
On paper it looks like a great change.

I think this is the more likely result, especially at the MWC/Big East/CUSA/A10/Valley/WCC level.

The Power 5 won't change their habits...winning 87-95% of your home games is still always going to look better to them than venturing any risk on the road for dubious benefit. It would likely take several years of demonstrated selection of teams over Syracuse for the most obvious example for behavior to significantly change. And color me skeptical that will ever become a reality.
How is what the Power 5 do for their home schedules vary that much from what the MVC teams do?

Power 5 can do this much easier without penalty because they have their built in conf schedule where they don't much have to worry about several schools dragging them through the "poor opponent" ringer, unlike most mids

Look no further than the annual Syracuse schedule a thousand games at home and only go on the road for a small few marquee matchups that cant possibly make them look bad even if they lose
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:20 am

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:45 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:47 pm
squirrel wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:34 pm

On paper it looks like a great change.

I think this is the more likely result, especially at the MWC/Big East/CUSA/A10/Valley/WCC level.

The Power 5 won't change their habits...winning 87-95% of your home games is still always going to look better to them than venturing any risk on the road for dubious benefit. It would likely take several years of demonstrated selection of teams over Syracuse for the most obvious example for behavior to significantly change. And color me skeptical that will ever become a reality.
How is what the Power 5 do for their home schedules vary that much from what the MVC teams do?

Power 5 can do this much easier without penalty because they have their built in conf schedule where they don't much have to worry about several schools dragging them through the "poor opponent" ringer, unlike most mids

Look no further than the annual Syracuse schedule a thousand games at home and only go on the road for a small few marquee matchups that cant possibly make them look bad even if they lose
Oh. I understand that but I don't think mid majors spend a lot of time going on the road to programs considered "lesser than them". I've never understood why fans think someone like Michigan should come to Bradley yet they don't think Bradley should ever go to SEMO.
“When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.”

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:39 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:20 am

Oh. I understand that but I don't think mid majors spend a lot of time going on the road to programs considered "lesser than them". I've never understood why fans think someone like Michigan should come to Bradley yet they don't think Bradley should ever go to SEMO.
My mindset....go to wherever folks will play you until you are a top-50 type program...then start really looking long and hard at how you schedule.

As much as we complain about home dates, its MUCH more beneficial (using your example) for Bradley to go to Cape Girardeau than to get them on our home floor.

Michigan would be beneficial regardless of the location as long as they're not substantially better than us (think the road gm with Duke)....and people that think we can easily get 1-1 are delusional...I'd gladly take a 2-1 or 1-1-RN game with programs like that...

But we have discussed this at length before...why not just start getting on good terms with like mids and build hefty schedules through that route
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:40 pm

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:39 am
tribecalledquest wrote:

My mindset....go to wherever folks will play you until you are a top-50 type program...then start really looking long and hard at how you schedule.

As much as we complain about home dates, its MUCH more beneficial (using your example) for Bradley to go to Cape Girardeau than to get them on our home floor.

Michigan would be beneficial regardless of the location as long as they're not substantially better than us (think the road gm with Duke)....and people that think we can easily get 1-1 are delusional...I'd gladly take a 2-1 or 1-1-RN game with programs like that...

But we have discussed this at length before...why not just start getting on good terms with like mids and build hefty schedules through that route
Yep. Good last point. You don't have to obsess over playing Big Ten or Big 12 teams to have a solid non conference schedule.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:39 am

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

I don't disagree with either of you, but you realize you are talking out of both sides of your mouth tribe, when you cite the Valley and Bradley who has been giving away its home schedule in recent years, to the point where we may have as few as just 4 non-conference home dates this year.

I get the economic factors in play. I'm also not one that complains about not getting the Power 5 here. But I also am aware there are ways it can get done...and Bradley even recently has been able to do it.

And I'm not generally opposed to going to a SEMO or an EIU...except that in general I believe there are better geographic opponents that can be had for similar deals. I also think it's really bad form to schedule multiple games against teams from the same league in the same year, especially when they aren't good ones. Two can be acceptable, sparingly, but at one point we had 4 freaking Horizon teams on the schedule in the same year. That's shooting yourself in the foot from an RPI standpoint.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:45 am

squirrel wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:39 am
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

I don't disagree with either of you, but you realize you are talking out of both sides of your mouth tribe, when you cite the Valley and Bradley who has been giving away its home schedule in recent years, to the point where we may have as few as just 4 non-conference home dates this year.

I get the economic factors in play. I'm also not one that complains about not getting the Power 5 here. But I also am aware there are ways it can get done...and Bradley even recently has been able to do it.

And I'm not generally opposed to going to a SEMO or an EIU...except that in general I believe there are better geographic opponents that can be had for similar deals. I also think it's really bad form to schedule multiple games against teams from the same league in the same year, especially when they aren't good ones. Two can be acceptable, sparingly, but at one point we had 4 freaking Horizon teams on the schedule in the same year. That's shooting yourself in the foot from an RPI standpoint.
Im speaking in generalities...not about a certain season in particular.

If Bradley fans want Power 5 teams to come to Peoria then they should also be ok with Bradley going on the road to "lower level" conferences every now and again as well.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:57 am

squirrel wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:39 am
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

But what if all 4 are on the road? :lol:
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

SFP
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by SFP » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:58 pm

BU has one thing in ts favor and that is that it still has decent attendance at its home games. I'm all for scheduling the best you can at all times. That means going on the road against powerhouses. Where I differ is probably some of our road games against lesser opponents unless they also can financially bring in the dollars like we can. 1 for 2 is just a reality for mid-majors and we should be one of the top mid-majors because we can fill our arena. We need to make sure we can pay the bills and then have a bit left over for the following year.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:40 pm

I would rather schedule good mid major type of teams home and away then simply play bcs teams on the road. I also will not be happy if we end up with only 13 home games . That would be very unacceptable to the season ticket holders .

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:20 pm

real fan wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:40 pm
I would rather schedule good mid major type of teams home and away then simply play bcs teams on the road. I also will not be happy if we end up with only 13 home games . That would be very unacceptable to the season ticket holders .
Agree. That would be bad...and really not what we need to be doing to move the program forward, whether it's record-wise, revenue-wise, or brand-wise.

Historians - when was the last time we had that few home games?
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:15 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:20 pm
real fan wrote:
Agree. That would be bad...and really not what we need to be doing to move the program forward, whether it's record-wise, revenue-wise, or brand-wise.

Historians - when was the last time we had that few home games?
Historians - Has school ever started without our non-con being finalized?
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:32 am

Yes. There may be other occurrences, but 2010-11, the tournament filler game against Texas A&M-Kingsville wasn't set until a couple weeks into September. But that was just one open date, the rest of the schedule had been announced on August 27, which was Friday during the first week of classes (so still after school had started).
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:36 pm

real fan wrote:
Exactly, but you are not forced into being a season ticket holder.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Still in waiting'; assuming issue because if the Duquesne pull out .
go cubs go!

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Honest question here - what makes a 'good' schedule versus a 'bad' schedule? Home games? Opponents? What is worth more? Does playing good teams on the road make up for a lack of home games? Does a home heavy schedule light on good teams (which should mean all wins) make up for the lack of name opponents? What would people prefer? I feel like we've had both in recent years, yet continued displeasure regarding the schedule (which I ultimately think is displeasure with the record, just redirected).

MissouriValleyUnite
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:20 pm

Delaware is Tue, Nov 14.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Thanks, Valley Unite. Even though we don't know the non-con, we do know a good chunk of it now. Assuming either the open date or tournament filler is the season opener against a low level or non-DI, it's possible we only have a single home game between the season opener and New Year's :shock: :

Known Dates
(Tue) Nov. 14 vs. Delaware
Nov. 17-19 Bahamas Tournament (Tentative)
(Sun) Dec. 3 @ San Diego St
(Sat) Dec. 16 @ Chicago St
(Wed) Dec. 20 @ SEMO
(Fri) Dec. 22 @ Ole Miss

Home
EIU
IUPUI
Open Date

Away

MissouriValleyUnite
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Wed, Dec 13 vs Little Rock

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:00 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:40 pm
Honest question here - what makes a 'good' schedule versus a 'bad' schedule? Home games? Opponents? What is worth more? Does playing good teams on the road make up for a lack of home games? Does a home heavy schedule light on good teams (which should mean all wins) make up for the lack of name opponents? What would people prefer? I feel like we've had both in recent years, yet continued displeasure regarding the schedule (which I ultimately think is displeasure with the record, just redirected).
I as a long time season ticket holder and Braves club member would like to see an upgrade of our non con home schedule which has been horrible now for a long time. I wanted Murray St. in the Valley simply because it would have given us another decent home game. The road games have been fine as the competition has been against power conf. teams.
I also believe that our attendance has been way down because of bad non. con games and lack of winning. Both of those will make a great difference in getting attendance back up to the 9,000 range.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:02 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:06 pm
Better game then playing Eureka or UIS.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:31 pm

real fan wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:02 pm
Little Rock has played in and won an NCAA Tournament game in the last two years. Bradley hasn't done that in over 10. If we think Little Rock is a bad game I'm not sure what people expect.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Little Rock is a hekcuva lot better home game than I was expecting! And, FWIW, they are also bring an overall solid non-con schedule to the equation.

Dec. 13 is the Wednesday at the end of Finals at BU. I'm also guessing this was the "open date" for a home game.

Known Dates
(Tue) Nov. 14 vs. Delaware
Nov. 17-19 Bahamas Tournament (Tentative)
(Sun) Dec. 3 @ San Diego St
(Wed) Dec. 13 vs. Little Rock
(Sat) Dec. 16 @ Chicago St
(Wed) Dec. 20 @ SEMO
(Fri) Dec. 22 @ Ole Miss

Home
EIU
IUPUI
4th Tournament filler game

Away

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:45 pm

The UALR game could be a test run for their viability as a MVC expansion candidate ;)

Or probably not. But they're in my "if we absolutely have to go to 12 with Murray St and everyone else is bad" pile.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:30 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:31 pm
real fan wrote:
Little Rock has played in and won an NCAA Tournament game in the last two years. Bradley hasn't done that in over 10. If we think Little Rock is a bad game I'm not sure what people expect.
Where are you seeing that people think it's a bad game...???
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

houstontxbrave
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by houstontxbrave » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:40 pm

dogsrus wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:30 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:31 pm
real fan wrote:

Where are you seeing that people think it's a bad game...???
When one knows all, it does not need to be written.