Braves vs. Blue Hens

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Braves vs. Blue Hens

Post by squirrel » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:57 am

Both teams enter 1-0, with Delaware coming off a comfortable win at Richmond. The Blue Hens have won the first 2 games in the 3-year series easily.

Carrying over into last year, the Braves have won 3 straight home games, and 4 of the last 5, with only a mind-boggling struggle in the final couple minutes against Indiana State preventing it from being 5 in a row at home.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Braves vs. Blue Hens

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:50 am

They play basically 7 guys and score most of their buckets in the lane...keep Carter off the glass, limit Daly's dibble drive, and keep both Anderson and Mosley off the line, and I really like our chances...

First big test...are we up to the task?
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 am

They physically beat the **** out of us last year. That can't happen again. A big early test for us indeed, with an even bigger one coming Friday morning.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:43 am

Haven't they beaten us down 2x in a row?

Very tough game tomorrow.
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

HenHoops

Post by HenHoops » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:00 am

Looking forward to this game. We are coming off a solid road win at Richmond, winning by 13 but up by 33 at one point. I feel we have a ways to go and just got hot that game and am expecting to come back to earth a little tomorrow night. The one thing I like about this team is a good mix of youth/talent but a senior PG in Mosley. Daly will frustrate the hell out of you because he is not fast, doesnt dunk but just finds ways to score. Rarely turns the ball over(3 against Richmond was an outlier). The freshman (Anderson and Walker) have been excellent so far but Allen was suspended first 3 games(19 pts against Mount St Marys in exhibition). We will play 8 in this game(9 if Allen wasnt supsended). Woods(St Bonnie transfer) only played 8 mins against richmond due to foul trouble but expect to see 15 mins/game out of him.

If I was a betting man, we come back to earth and lose 75-69.

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:23 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 am
They physically beat the **** out of us last year. That can't happen again. A big early test for us indeed, with an even bigger one coming Friday morning.
Must raise the level of intensity, physicality, and execution.

Several guys need to get better in all facets to win this game...

Make Carver a tough place to play again....to where teams don't want to get off the bus, and then know that when they leave, they are battered, bruised, and know they have played a tough Bradley University squad.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:25 am

HenHoops wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:00 am
Looking forward to this game. We are coming off a solid road win at Richmond, winning by 13 but up by 33 at one point. I feel we have a ways to go and just got hot that game and am expecting to come back to earth a little tomorrow night. The one thing I like about this team is a good mix of youth/talent but a senior PG in Mosley. Daly will frustrate the hell out of you because he is not fast, doesnt dunk but just finds ways to score. Rarely turns the ball over(3 against Richmond was an outlier). The freshman (Anderson and Walker) have been excellent so far but Allen was suspended first 3 games(19 pts against Mount St Marys in exhibition). We will play 8 in this game(9 if Allen wasnt supsended). Woods(St Bonnie transfer) only played 8 mins against richmond due to foul trouble but expect to see 15 mins/game out of him.

Welcome HenHoops!

Always glad to see an opponent fan stop by (unless its Pac :lol: )

Also nice to get a good scout on your squad....mind you, we are in the process of still trying to figure out exactly who we are.

Enjoy the game, and maybe let us have this one since you guys got the last couple ;)

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:06 pm

We lose this by 9.....

77-68
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

spoon
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by spoon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:30 pm

HenHoops wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:00 am

I was really nervous for this game after seeing Delaware completely dismantle Richmond on the road (I've always considered Richmond a pretty decent mid-major and saw preseason rankings with them near the top 100 this year). However, I see Richmond is currently getting clobbered at home AGAIN 68-38 in the second half against Jacksonville State. It gives me some hope that we can be competitive and pull out a win this time. Don't want a repeat of the last two seasons against the Blue Hens!

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:33 pm

I think Mooney has stayed at Richmond just a bit too long.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Well, Jacksonville State is now beating Richmond by 30+. So I'm not sure what Delaware's win over them means.

Regardless, we owe them for 2 years of beatdowns.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Yep.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:13 pm

dogsrus wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:06 pm
We lose this by 9.....

77-68
Care to revise after today's Richmond results? :shock:

chitown fanatic
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by chitown fanatic » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:39 pm

getting swept by Delaware at this stage of the rebuild is simply unacceptable. 66-61 BU.
Tornadouche is a tool

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Mooney is probably OK after last year, unless he has a jag administration like Molinari/Bradley circa 2002. He's only had 1 below-.500 season since 2007, and is in a clear rebuilding year. His 3 best players are 2 frosh and a sophomore. One of those is a RS frosh returning from a period of inactivity due to cardiac irregularities. He'll be given at least a couple years to see what they can do.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:13 pm

Opening line...

Bradley -6

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:36 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:13 pm
dogsrus wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:06 pm
We lose this by 9.....

77-68
Care to revise after today's Richmond results? :shock:
Nope....my prediction stands. It had nothing to do with the Richmond game.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

bcg

Post by bcg » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:52 pm

It's hard to believe that BU is favored. It looked like the JV vs the Varsity squad last year in the first half.

MissouriValleyUnite
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Originally I thought the Blue Hens would walk over us after seeing the Richmond result. Then tonight Jax St smashed the Spiders by 33. Now I feel better.

BC3
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by BC3 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:59 am

Bradley 80
Delaware 65

Keys to the game:
Donte's motor continues to run and is near a double double again.
Shoot better than 80% at the line.
Van Bree finds his stroke.
20 assists +

Lay an egg if:
Early foul trouble with Donte and Koch.
More turnovers than assists.
Free throws are a disaster.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 am

I think Wardle will have our guys motivated for redemption and ready to play tonight. We should win tonight by 5-10 points.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

SFP
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by SFP » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:20 am

BC3 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:59 am
Bradley 80
Delaware 65

Keys to the game:
Donte's motor continues to run and is near a double double again.
Shoot better than 80% at the line.
Van Bree finds his stroke.
20 assists +

Lay an egg if:
Early foul trouble with Donte and Koch.
More turnovers than assists.
Free throws are a disaster.
I like the 20+ assists. If that happens that means our guys are moving the ball and not trying to play one on one hero ball. I'd take limiting silly turnovers and rebounding on the defensive end.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

CHUCKYT'S
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by CHUCKYT'S » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:03 pm

chitown fanatic wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:39 pm
getting swept by Delaware at this stage of the rebuild is simply unacceptable. 66-61 BU.
I kind of agree with this...I think this is BU's first "barometer game" of the year. Are we really better than we were last year? Can we beat teams that have beaten us the last time? ..... or is it the same ol' same ol' crap that we've seen the last few years? If this is truly going to be the year that BU turns the corner and starts a string of winning seasons, then we need to win these types of games.

GO BU!

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27 pm

SFP wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:20 am

I like the 20+ assists. If that happens that means our guys are moving the ball and not trying to play one on one hero ball. I'd take limiting silly turnovers and rebounding on the defensive end.
If we make it into the top 3 of the league, much of it will be due to more team play and less 'me' play.

Just look at the first game if you want any hints at that...our lulls started with one on one plays and poor execution in the half court from too much 'me' play.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Excellent observations, SLB...although it was even bordering at times of guys we need scoring passing on high % opportunities. A fine line, for sure, and one that I imagine will only improve as we play more games.

Also agree this is the type of game where you can start to reclaim home court advantage.

Even though it was 20 years ago, I remember how it didn't matter who we played, I was always confident we would win at home and would be stunned when we didn't. It'd be nice to get that back soon.