2019 BU recruiting

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by dss03 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:09 pm

real fan wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:20 pm
Braves4Life wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:52 am
BradleyBrave wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:17 pm
Peppering the recruiting trail with guard offers. Long overdue!

Stevens' game looks just like Brown's. I'm a *** for the Dan Ruffin/Will Franklin/Darrell Brown types.
Yes yes yes!!! Maybe I'm wrong, but most championship-caliber Valley teams have always had a dynamic guard duo. We haven't been really good since we last had one.
We have not had what I would call an outstanding shooting guard in quite awhile, a good point guard to go along with a 6-4 shooting guard would be a good start to the fall recruiting period. I also would like a 6-8 power forward to go with a 6-6 wing .
Would you be upset with a 6-3 shooting guard, a 6-5 wing, and a 6-7 power forward??
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:24 pm

dss03 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:09 pm
real fan wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:20 pm
Braves4Life wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:52 am

Yes yes yes!!! Maybe I'm wrong, but most championship-caliber Valley teams have always had a dynamic guard duo. We haven't been really good since we last had one.
We have not had what I would call an outstanding shooting guard in quite awhile, a good point guard to go along with a 6-4 shooting guard would be a good start to the fall recruiting period. I also would like a 6-8 power forward to go with a 6-6 wing .
Would you be upset with a 6-3 shooting guard, a 6-5 wing, and a 6-7 power forward??
Not if they can score, rebound and defend.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:42 am

This is a real good get for South Dakota State. Bradley recently offered him along with some P6 schools.

I know they aren't sexy but SD State would be a decent addition to the MVC if they wanted to expand.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/caleb-grill
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

mexicoBUfan
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by mexicoBUfan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:55 pm

Give me MM and let the rest fall into place! He would be a star in the MVC!

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:01 pm

mexicoBUfan wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:55 pm
Is he still on the radar? I'm assuming so since he plays for Indiana Elite.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:39 pm

mexicoBUfan wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:55 pm
Hel= yes.

Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Lake Camelot » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Welch commits to Loyola. (Chicago's Team)

Good for the Valley. I am ready for some news soon Braves.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:24 pm

At some point it would be nice to win a head-to-head recruiting battle with a Loyola, ISU, even SIU. Between the Chicago area and the JUCO ranks...they’re waxing us.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Lake Camelot » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:52 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:24 pm
At some point it would be nice to win a head-to-head recruiting battle with a Loyola, ISU, even SIU. Between the Chicago area and the JUCO ranks...they’re waxing us.
By the way M Kennedy is making an official visit to ISU also.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:02 am

I do think it's important to land a notable in-state guy...otherwise we're at that point where we'll get a reputation in-state that we don't value them and that will hurt us. But overall, it is more important to recruit solidly in the region, where I think we are doing a very good job, even in small doses, by getting solid players in Memphis and Wichita's backyard. And Missouri, if you count Stips.

But Donte was a Geno recruit and kind of a throw-in. Pittman was a Wardle recruit, but to Green Bay. And, Kennell, while a nice, serviceable piece, isn't truly what I would call notable.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Getting our @sses handed to us.

“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

ER3
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by ER3 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:14 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:44 pm
Getting our @sses handed to us.

Yep. We really, really need some good news on the recruiting front this fall. We can talk about "Movements" and "Arrivals" and market the program to the masses this way 24/7/365, but if the staff can't find a way to better sell this program to a larger quantity of higher level recruits, the only "Arrival" we are going to be talking about is our annual arrival to the 4/5 game in the Valley Tournament.

Gotta step it up...we are way behind Loyola and ISU in the talent department right now...SIU is better than us...and UNI will quickly be moving past us if we can't fill these 4 open scholarships with some players that will have a real impact here...

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 pm

ER3 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:14 am

Gotta step it up...we are way behind Loyola and ISU in the talent department right now...SIU is better than us...and UNI will quickly be moving past us if we can't fill these 4 open scholarships with some players that will have a real impact here...

I don't see BU that far behind Loyola on talent level. They have a few guys committed for this fall that aren't exactly earth shaking commits.

ISU probably has the most talent in the league on paper. But a Porsche with a salvage title looks really good after its been washed, waxed, and tire shined too. Then you drive it, it shimmies, it burns oil, it doesn't quite sound right. Next thing you know the shiny wheel flies off doing 92 down 74 and when all is said and done you don't know if your wife's hair will ever grow back the same way again.

BU brought in one of the top recruits in the MVC with Boya. They are bringing back mostly the same team that was a clunker vs InSU away from T-3 last year in the conference. I don't think its nearly as dire as you think.

mexicoBUfan

Post by mexicoBUfan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:46 pm

There isn’t a Freshman or Sophomore in the MVC that I would trade Child’s or Ari for. I am sure some of you would and that’s OK, I would not. And yes I have watched Ari play.

ER3

Post by ER3 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:10 pm

JMM28 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 pm
ER3 wrote:

I don't see BU that far behind Loyola on talent level. They have a few guys committed for this fall that aren't exactly earth shaking commits.

ISU probably has the most talent in the league on paper. But a Porsche with a salvage title looks really good after its been washed, waxed, and tire shined too. Then you drive it, it shimmies, it burns oil, it doesn't quite sound right. Next thing you know the shiny wheel flies off doing 92 down 74 and when all is said and done you don't know if your wife's hair will ever grow back the same way again.

BU brought in one of the top recruits in the MVC with Boya. They are bringing back mostly the same team that was a clunker vs InSU away from T-3 last year in the conference. I don't think its nearly as dire as you think.
Don’t think BU’s situation is “dire”, by any stretch...just think we are a mid-pack team in the conference and have a talent gap to close to get to the point where we are a title contender.

Loyola’s top 4 of Custer, Krutwig, Townes, and Williamson is much better than our top 4, IMO. Remains to be seen if they get production from the rest of their roster, but their top 4 is better than any 4 we can put out there.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:11 pm

mexicoBUfan wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:46 pm
There isn’t a Freshman or Sophomore in the MVC that I would trade Child’s or Ari for. I am sure some of you would and that’s OK, I would not. And yes I have watched Ari play.
Every recruiting class needs to produce a stud and/or a surprise. Do that several classes in a row and you have a championship caliber team in the Valley. I like the direction Wardle has us trending.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

ER3

Post by ER3 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:15 pm

mexicoBUfan wrote:
I like Childs a lot...and I’m excited to see Boya...but I’ll trade those two guys for AJ Green and Cameron Krutwig. No question about it.

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:45 pm

ER3 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:15 pm
mexicoBUfan wrote:
I like Childs a lot...and I’m excited to see Boya...but I’ll trade those two guys for AJ Green and Cameron Krutwig. No question about it.
I think it’s probably a debatable question. But to me there is only one potential pro in that group and you always want the best player in any sort of trade. And that is Boya.

ER3

Post by ER3 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:06 pm

JMM28 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:45 pm
ER3 wrote:
mexicoBUfan wrote:
I think it’s probably a debatable question. But to me there is only one potential pro in that group and you always want the best player in any sort of trade. And that is Boya.
Do you seriously believe that Cameron Krutwig will not play pro basketball? I mean...Auston Freaking Barnes has played pro basketball for three seasons in Europe. Krutwig just won Freshman of the Year in the Valley...he is a legit 6'9"...he has really, really good feet...he's a really skilled post guy...and he's gonna get stronger and lose some of that pudginess over the next couple of years. Likely becomes scary good in the Valley.

I hope all of this hype on Boya proves to be correct...because we are getting dangerously close to Abdou Ndiaye levels of grandeur for this guy right now.

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 pm

ER3 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:06 pm
JMM28 wrote:
ER3 wrote:

Do you seriously believe that Cameron Krutwig will not play pro basketball? I mean...Auston Freaking Barnes has played pro basketball for three seasons in Europe. Krutwig just won Freshman of the Year in the Valley...he is a legit 6'9"...he has really, really good feet...he's a really skilled post guy...and he's gonna get stronger and lose some of that pudginess over the next couple of years. Likely becomes scary good in the Valley.

I hope all of this hype on Boya proves to be correct...because we are getting dangerously close to Abdou Ndiaye levels of grandeur for this guy right now.
I’m talking sniff the NBA pro, not makes money playing basketball pro. All four of those guys, barring catostrophic injury, can absolutely make money playing basketball. Boya is the only one with nba/g league potential.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:25 pm

ER3 wrote:
Close?! :?: I would say exceeded that a while back. :lol:
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

ER3

Post by ER3 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:29 pm

JMM28 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 pm
ER3 wrote:
JMM28 wrote:

I’m talking sniff the NBA pro, not makes money playing basketball pro. All four of those guys, barring catostrophic injury, can absolutely make money playing basketball. Boya is the only one with nba/g league potential.
Hope it turns out to be true...but I really think we need to pump the brakes on this Ari Boya hype train.

Saying Ari Boya has NBA potential seems crazy to me at this stage of the game. A 7 footer with legit NBA potential before he has played a single minute of college ball? Sorry, but that just isn’t a guy that ends up at BU.

mexicoBUfan

Post by mexicoBUfan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:32 am

But he did end up at Bradley. He has a lot of work to do but he has a real shot. I started this by saying I respect other people’s opinions on the subject and I certainly don’t expect everyone to agree. But if he stays healthy I wouldn’t trade him for any 5 in the MVC including the one in Chicago.

Remember the conversation was about Bradley needing to recruit better and my point is with Child’s and Ari Bradley is doing pretty good. We have had some misses for sure but these 2 will be all MVC first team before it’s over.

bcg

Post by bcg » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:41 am

JMM28 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 pm
ER3 wrote:

I assume the quality level at Loyola is going to go up here in the near future with their run and the coaches staying. Bradley needs to win a couple of recruiting battles in the next couple of months. It really feels like a lot of Valley teams are trending upward at the same time.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:09 am

Offering Welch and Kennedy and not getting a visit from either is not good. No way to spin it. It doesn't mean we're doomed to fail, but losing head to head recruiting battles to conference foes in one of the nation's top high school basketball talent hotbeds is not a positive.

Now, to counter that we're doing well I think in Indiana and Missouri, a couple places I think we should do well in. We're doing well internationally, a place I always wondered why we didn't try and utilize more. So there are some definite positives. I'd just like start having some recruiting success up north in a traditional sweet spot for us that's commensurate with our success on the court.