Season Opener: Braves vs. Parkside Rangers

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Season Opener: Braves vs. Parkside Rangers

Post by shaunguth » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:32 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:29 am
I guess I will have to continue to get used to this team's guards taking really bad two-point shot attempts.
Or virtually none at all (Hodgson). :?
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:19 pm

shaunguth wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:32 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
I guess I will have to continue to get used to this team's guards taking really bad two-point shot attempts.
I would rather a non shot than a bad one.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:42 pm

JD wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:18 pm

Heard some complaints from displaced fans that had been in the now empty “club” space. I still don’t understand that area at all. The TV view of that will be embarrassing.
The Braves Club is a club that financially and laboriously supports various BU athletics goals.
The Braves Club raises funds and pays for a lot of recruiting and other things for the athletic department as a whole.
The Braves Club wanted to add some more benefits of membership.
Sections 17-20 on the risers had approximately 30 season ticket holders, so about 60 tickets actually sold in there.
The Braves Club used to be hosted in what is now the BSS room underneath section 1 and 2.
The Braves Club now has a new area where people can hang out before, during, and after the game with concessions, beer, and free popcorn/soda/water.
The season ticket holders there were relocated, most opting for better seats with waived fees as a courtesy.
There were actually more people in that area during the game last night than the average paid attendance last year in the sections it replaced. The TV view is an absolute moot point.
The early returns have been mostly very positive. You should join the Braves Club, only $300, and check it out.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:19 pm

I like the new venue. Only complaint I heard is that people who have physical limitations don’t have handrails when going down to area. On the other hand lots of room and a great view of game if you want to watch a while. I still remember the little meeting area under the bleachers at Robertson. Now that was cramped! Kudos to Braves Club for trying some new things.
go cubs go!

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:57 pm

JMM28 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:42 pm

The Braves Club is a club that financially and laboriously supports various BU athletics goals.
The Braves Club raises funds and pays for a lot of recruiting and other things for the athletic department as a whole.
Sections 17-20 on the risers had approximately 30 season ticket holders, so about 60 tickets actually sold in there.
The Braves Club used to be hosted in what is now the BSS room underneath section 1 and 2.
The Braves Club now has a new area where people can hang out before, during, and after the game with concessions, beer, and free popcorn/soda/water.
The season ticket holders there were relocated, most opting for better seats with waived fees as a courtesy.
There were actually more people in that area during the game last night than the average paid attendance last year in the sections it replaced. The TV view is an absolute moot point.
The early returns have been mostly very positive. You should join the Braves Club, only $300, and check it out.
I wasn't displaced, so it didn't change anything for me.

I am glad that many people liked it. I still think it looks stupid when 20 people are in an area that big. There were many games last year where that section had over 100 people sitting in it.

There is also an area in the concourse to hang out. It's called the beer line. I'll check that out.
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:02 pm

No doubt the game was sloppy, kind of expected it when we played all 11 of our healthy guys. I know it should not be this way but the team just did what they needed to in order to win. Bar really looked good, hopefully that continues thru out the season.Jayden was non existent and needs to look to shoot more as he is a good shooter that for whatever reason hardly ever takes a shot.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:06 pm

JD wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:57 pm
JMM28 wrote:

I am glad that many people liked it. I still think it looks stupid when 20 people are in an area that big. There were many games last year where that section had over 100 people sitting in it.

There is also an area in the concourse to hang out. It's called the beer line. I'll check that out.
There were a lot more then 20 people in that area before and at halftime last night. The Braves club has done a great job in trying to please their members.

SFP
All World
All World

Post by SFP » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:15 pm

squirrel wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:58 am
SFP wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:49 am
He's just not athletic enough to recover to protect the rim. Rather him lay back a bit and make a player shoot the ball then giving up a layup. Our perimeter D was horrendous.

I disagree...he's a stopper defensively outside the lane as well and in some instances has been better than perimeter players. And he can recover just fine. He's a better help defender than one-on-one at the moment, IMO, but he'll only improve getting to battle against Boya, Childs, and Henry every day.
We'll disagree here. He got caught a few times trying to help while in the lane and the ball-handler went around him for layups. I can't imagine what that will look like against more athletic teams. Hell this happens in the NBA every night against good defensive bigs. In the NBA they have to come out because the shooters will make them pay. At this level you can for the most part gamble a bit and take the extra step back. I like what I saw from Bar last evening. He's going to have to get better though throughout the season and make those adjustments.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:21 pm

JMM28 wrote:
JD wrote:

Heard some complaints from displaced fans that had been in the now empty “club” space. I still don’t understand that area at all. The TV view of that will be embarrassing.
I only saw the game online, but it didn't look to me like there were more than 100 people in that area.

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:22 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:19 pm
shaunguth wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
In that case, Hodgson needs to do a MUCH better job finding a "good shot"!

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:25 pm

real fan wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:06 pm
JD wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:57 pm
JMM28 wrote:

There were a lot more then 20 people in that area before and at halftime last night. The Braves club has done a great job in trying to please their members.
But the claim is that there were 60 season tickets sold in that area and there were more people than that in this new area. Not to mention I'm sure those weren't the only tickets sold in those sections. It really doesn't affect me at all, but I have a difficult time believing there more people than that hanging out at any given time during the game.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:51 pm

shaunguth wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:21 pm
JMM28 wrote:
JD wrote:

I only saw the game online, but it didn't look to me like there were more than 100 people in that area.
There were not 100 people there at one time, braves club members were coming and going before the start and at halftime of the game.I do not understand why anybody would stay there and watch the game as the view from there is not that good. It is a great place to hang out before as I saw some fans that I have not seen in awhile.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:04 pm

shaunguth wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:22 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:19 pm
shaunguth wrote:

In that case, Hodgson needs to do a MUCH better job finding a "good shot"!
He took two shots last night. One good one and one bad.
~Thomas Jefferson

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:13 pm

real fan wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:51 pm
I do not understand why anybody would stay there and watch the game as the view from there is not that good.
Agreed. So why waste an area close to the floor? You could put it on the concourse.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:06 am

JD wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:13 pm
real fan wrote:
I do not understand why anybody would stay there and watch the game as the view from there is not that good.
Agreed. So why waste an area close to the floor? You could put it on the concourse.
We wanted you as far away from it as possible. Mission accomplished.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:24 am

JD wrote:
real fan wrote:
So let me get this straight - the view is terrible so no one should want to watch the game there, but you also say that it’s wasted space by not having seats there. You can’t have it both ways, who are you crappin?

And put it on the concourse? Which concourse would that be- there’s no room. And how exactly would that be a benefit to a Braves Club member?

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:42 am

JMM28 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:24 am
JD wrote:
real fan wrote:
So let me get this straight - the view is terrible so no one should want to watch the game there, but you also say that it’s wasted space by not having seats there. You can’t have it both ways, who are you crappin?

And put it on the concourse? Which concourse would that be- there’s no room. And how exactly would that be a benefit to a Braves Club member?
I was agreeing I wouldn’t want to stand there. Not the bad view. Why take seats near the floor and put in empty space. I just don’t understand it.

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:44 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:06 am
JD wrote:
real fan wrote:
Fair enough. I’m in the minority on this. I get it. I wonder why Duke hasn’t done this yet?

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:43 am

SFP wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:15 pm

We'll disagree here. He got caught a few times trying to help while in the lane and the ball-handler went around him for layups. I can't imagine what that will look like against more athletic teams. Hell this happens in the NBA every night against good defensive bigs. In the NBA they have to come out because the shooters will make them pay. At this level you can for the most part gamble a bit and take the extra step back. I like what I saw from Bar last evening. He's going to have to get better though throughout the season and make those adjustments.
You are right in that it happens a few times, but if you really watch him, it is amazing the amount of territory he covers on the defensive end, and he is not a liability many more times than he is. But people only see the few times he gets exposed. If he was such a liability, the staff would not use him that way defensively. They do because he's effective.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Dagoose
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Dagoose » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:13 am

:td :td :td
JD wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:44 am
BradleyBrave wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:06 am
JD wrote:

Fair enough. I’m in the minority on this. I get it. I wonder why Duke hasn’t done this yet?
No beer....

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:17 am

Bradley wouldn’t have this space on the floor if Carver Arena (like other arenas) had a really nice room where they could host Braves Club members. Since it doesn’t, this is the next best option. Not a lot of luxury boxes and suites in Carver Arena.

If Duke was averaging about 5,000 a night in 9,000 seat Cameron Indoor then it would be a possibility. Alas, they are overflowing every game and tickets are $300/game on the secondary market. Opening up 400 seats would be stupid.

I’m sure Bradley would prefer to be sold out every night but since they aren’t this is a good way to take care of Braves Club members and more than meet seating demands.
~Thomas Jefferson

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:55 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:17 am
Bradley wouldn’t have this space on the floor if Carver Arena (like other arenas) had a really nice room where they could host Braves Club members. Since it doesn’t, this is the next best option. Not a lot of luxury boxes and suites in Carver Arena.

If Duke was averaging about 5,000 a night in 9,000 seat Cameron Indoor then it would be a possibility. Alas, they are overflowing every game and tickets are $300/game on the secondary market. Opening up 400 seats would be stupid.

I’m sure Bradley would prefer to be sold out every night but since they aren’t this is a good way to take care of Braves Club members and more than meet seating demands.
Good point. Another disadvantage of not owning the building you play in is that you have to work within the confines of the 40 year old concrete bowl. The ticket office has done a nice job of repurposing the HyVee Red Zone into a party area to mimic what a suite would be at an updated arena and I believe are nearing a sellout for the year in there. The Braves Club area is another way to augment a hockey rink into as modern of a basketball arena as possible.

There just aren't a lot of options for premium experience type areas which is becoming the way of the world in all sports venues. I give the PCC credit for building that suite from unused space. It *** to watch a basketball game from, but at least it was some progress. Now if they just cared as much about the cleanliness and appearance of their facility as they do about their faux security procedures...

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:52 am

Agreed on making Carver work. It was not built with renovations in mind. The only place, in theory, they could out suites are in the control rooms at the very top of either end zone and those aren’t near big enough to make into a legitimate suite and you have to walk a million stairs to get up there. The Press area would be another decent spot, but then where do you put those guys since space at the table is already limited?
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:33 pm

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:52 am
Agreed on making Carver work. It was not built with renovations in mind. The only place, in theory, they could out suites are in the control rooms at the very top of either end zone and those aren’t near big enough to make into a legitimate suite and you have to walk a million stairs to get up there. The Press area would be another decent spot, but then where do you put those guys since space at the table is already limited?
In 2001, a private firm (Nathaniel Group) was working with the Civic Center Authority to propose an entirely new 16,000+ capacity arena attached to the Civic Center in the neighborhood of $25-60M, and then they would have converted the existing arena into additional expansion space.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

bcg
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by bcg » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:11 pm

real fan wrote:
I watched the exhibition game from there at one of the standing tables with a friend and I thought it was great. It's obviously a different view than the traditional tv view.