Fire Wardle

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
bufan39
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Re: Fire Wardle

Post by bufan39 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 am

PH wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:13 am
True. I was just pointing out an enjoyable game with a low score.
(We scored a better 75 points v SMU)
Oh yeah. That was by far the most enjoyable game despite the low score.
~Compete. Defend. Rebound.~

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:23 pm

JD wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 am
Wow. I'm usually the "fire him" guy. I am late to this party. This thread is interesting.

I do not believe BU would ever fire a coach midseason, barring some scandal or a win-less disaster.

I do think if the season continues like it is, and BU only wins 4 conference games or so, that they might HAVE to move Wardle out.

Obviously, this is not a good situation, and it sure looks like this coaching staff has no idea how to improve the woeful offense or improve substitution patterns, or run inbound plays, or defend the 3-point shot, play guys in the post, or make halftime adjustments. But, we can hope, right? ;)
I mean we did lose the 1st 11 Valley games in Les' final year and he still made it through the whole season, and sure, different regime, but given the extension, I just don't see how he wouldn't get next year unless we did go something like 2-16 in league play and Reynolds makes the strong assumption they could somehow afford the buyout while also bringing in a handpicked candidate.

I'm just curious whether people believe this right now is more resembling that season or the 2013-14 year. At least in 2013-14, we were at 6-6 at one point in conference, so there's that.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:32 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:49 pm
shaunguth wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:47 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:44 pm

Because I think people deserve chances to fix things.
I agree, but I also believe he has that chance with 15 more conference games.
But this roster isn't changing the last 15 games. I've always said it's way, way, way more about talent than anything else. The talent isn't changing this season.
Exactly....and it's the head coach who brought these guys in. Who says the talent will be better next season?
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:34 pm

squirrel wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:50 pm
There are a minimum of 16 games remaining. While things look bleak, we're still a .500 team. When the team finishes 0-18 in league, then we'll have that discussion. Until then, that notion is just panicked nonsense.
It's a hypothetical discussion, on my part anyways, on a message board. I would hardly consider that "panicked nonsense".

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:37 pm

Dallas Brave wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:05 pm
I agree that the idea of firing Wardle at the end of this season would be wrong and premature. But, if this season continues down its current course, then he could be in a position where he has only one year to get the program back on track. If that is the case, I don’t know how he manages to right the ship without cutting some of the current juniors and bringing in some jucos and/or graduate transfers. While winning the Cancun tournament was great, Bradley beat an SMU team that was without 2-3 key players and then beat a bad Penn State team. That’s great and we were all excited when it happened. But, outside of that two-game, two-day stretch, the team has pretty much played poorly all season. If I am Bar, Pittman, and Hodgson, I’d play like there is no tomorrow because if they don’t start contributing there will be little operating latitude for Coach Wardle to keep them on the roster. The team and coaches can’t rely on an incoming freshman class to offset a group of non-producing seniors who he can't afford to give playing time.
How can anyone say firing him at the end of THIS season would be wrong and premature when we are just three games into the "new season".
If the team COMPLETELY quits on him and we finish 0-19, I don't think that would be true at all.

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:38 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:05 pm
I don't think we'll go winless...but can anyone really see a win right now?

Can anyone see not playing in?

Can anyone see not finishing last?

'Voice of the Braves' should be something tomorrow.
I can't, but I'm sure there are a few out there.

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:41 pm

ER3 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:26 pm
I’m sure we’ll end up winning 4 or 5 home games in conference...simply because the league is garbage top to bottom.
And we are currently the doormat of that garbage league. I'm sure the other teams are saying the exact same thing about us being one of their wins.

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:43 pm

real fan wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:03 pm
I also think Wardles job is on the line if he does not turn this around next season. Buying him out after next season would not be that expensive.
"Turning it around" next season may not be too difficult at the rate they're going this season.

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:36 pm

shaunguth wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:43 pm
real fan wrote:
I also think Wardles job is on the line if he does not turn this around next season. Buying him out after next season would not be that expensive.
"Turning it around" next season may not be too difficult at the rate they're going this season.
Made me chuckle!

We land in last place and without a notable recruit coming in and I say he's toast unless he addresses his inefficiencies right away. He would have to build a new staff and find someone that can flat out evaluate and recruit for him. Unless we go on some incredible streak he's going to have to make some drastic changes.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:12 pm

shaunguth wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:43 pm
real fan wrote:
Agree which is why they need a couple of good JUCO recruits next season. The boss needs to call him in and tell him next season things need to be much better or else. I also think he needs to get better help in solving the problem.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:19 pm

The Good - This article tells me it’s possible to fix it in an offseason.

The Bad - It also tells me going 5-27 on purpose was one of the worst decisions ever made on The Hilltop.

I’m going to focus on the good...let’s patch our holes this offseason and win a title next year.

“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 pm

Bradley needs to find another Coach Corn or two on the juco circuit...
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:31 pm

How many of you watch other small market teams not in The Valley? I do watch a few teams out west like U of SF. There are players out there that can flat out score, I have to believe there are more scorers out there in HS then ever before. Have you guys seen Clemons from Campbell? How about Detroit Mercy's Antoine Davis (yes the son of Indiana's ex coach). Just saying.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:50 pm

An interesting admission and observation by Wardle tonight on Voice of the Braves-he's never had a team hit the skids like this.

Keep in mind he's not even 40 yet...working through this is probably the most significant challenge of his professional life.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

jim beam
All World
All World

Post by jim beam » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:48 am

Its tough enough to try to get a group of average talent level players to execute and perform. Now he has to step outside of his personality and comfort zone as an x/o coach and try to become less rigid, more empathetic, a little softer on the leadership side of things. He hasn't shown the willingness, ability or awareness yet. I will be interested to see how this goes.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:47 pm

jim beam wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:48 am
Its tough enough to try to get a group of average talent level players to execute and perform. Now he has to step outside of his personality and comfort zone as an x/o coach and try to become less rigid, more empathetic, a little softer on the leadership side of things. He hasn't shown the willingness, ability or awareness yet. I will be interested to see how this goes.
As i stated during practice he seemed , for the most part , calm cool and collected. Was this for the 19 nobodies and myself that showed up or was this how he is in practice normally...i dunno.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

jim beam
All World
All World

Post by jim beam » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:29 pm

I dunno either. I kind of doubt hes ever Bobby Knightish...I just think he's pretty rigid and not flexible and perhaps at times demeaning. I have no problem with that but apparently he has recruited some guys that aren't as tough skinned as others and he needs to reach these kids in a little different manner. That takes some self awareness IMO
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:44 pm

jim beam wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:29 pm
I dunno either. I kind of doubt hes ever Bobby Knightish...I just think he's pretty rigid and not flexible and perhaps at times demeaning. I have no problem with that but apparently he has recruited some guys that aren't as tough skinned as others and he needs to reach these kids in a little different manner. That takes some self awareness IMO
Yea what he said! I've also seen a trend in coaching at all levels, that is more positive reinforcement then using the whip approach. I'd say Coach K is an example of how he's changed his demeanor on the sideline. It could be he's mellowing a bit in his older years.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:00 pm

jim beam wrote:

When your losing you can’t do anything right and when your winning everything you touch turns to gold.....

nobody ( and this stuff isn’t directed at you ) said squat or had any problem with him until we started this slide. Now all of a sudden he’s a complete bum. I get all the frustration.... i’m as frustrated as anyone.

Hope he can turn it around....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:02 pm

SFP wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:44 pm
jim beam wrote:
Yea what he said! I've also seen a trend in coaching at all levels, that is more positive reinforcement then using the whip approach. I'd say Coach K is an example of how he's changed his demeanor on the sideline. It could be he's mellowing a bit in his older years.
Sure but again when your winning everything is easy.... what would happen and how would coach k react to a 5...6......7 game losing streak?

RobertsonFieldHouse7
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by RobertsonFieldHouse7 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:54 pm

My problem isn't with his demeanor.

Every kid who's ever played high school and/or club sports comes across more than one SOB of a coach, and I can guarantee all 13 on the BU roster have dealt with it, whether they like it or not.

My problem is with the on-court results, and not just the losses, but the regression during the season, and from last season to this, in individual contributions, team play, coaching, adjusting, scouting, and yes, clearly in recruiting.

The substance of what's wrong with this team is all in that previous sentence. Is it made worse by Wardle's demeanor behind closed doors? We'll never know, but we have had a few glimpses, and there's clearly some kind of attitude issue on court that you could imagine might be tied to off-court coaching misfires.

Does that add up to "fire the bum?"

Let's see if he's able to pull his team out of his first-ever tailspin as a coach.

Let's see how the body of work looks in March.

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 pm

dogsrus wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:00 pm
jim beam wrote:

When your losing you can’t do anything right and when your winning everything you touch turns to gold.....

nobody ( and this stuff isn’t directed at you ) said squat or had any problem with him until we started this slide. Now all of a sudden he’s a complete bum. I get all the frustration.... i’m as frustrated as anyone.

Hope he can turn it around....
You’re right about that. I was thinking during the championship football game how you couldn’t have more different personalities in a head coach than Dabo Swinney and Nick Saban. Yet, it works for each of them, and their fans don’t complain, because they win. If they suddenly started going 6-6, there would be issues with their personalities.

I don’t like how Wardle handles media a lot of times, but it’s the same kind of edge that has him not backing down from Greggggg and ******* Jank off, and then suddenly in certain circumstances I do like it...but he hasn’t changed. Other extreme, Geno’s self-deprecating humor was charming when I thought things were leading somewhere. When it becomes obvious it isn’t going anywhere, it’s suddenly not endearing anymore and gets used as evidence that players are running over him and don’t have enough respect.

I guess when things go bad on you, you have to be self critical and look at where change is needed, and you can alter your behavior somewhat, but you can’t change who you are completely. It will get picked up fast as phony and you will have the stench of desperation. So, there’s a middle ground somewhere there, but the thing that has become a stone cold fact at this point is that the backcourt play is, by any tangible measure, not good enough to win.

Recruit better, don’t redshirt guys that don’t have huge upside, get some scorers & have confidence that you can coach and develop the defense vs the opposite, etc.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:20 pm

dogsrus wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:02 pm
SFP wrote:
jim beam wrote:
Sure but again when your winning everything is easy.... what would happen and how would coach k react to a 5...6......7 game losing streak?
Coach K ain't the saint some make him out to be. When his team is losing he's a big whining, cursing baby. As recently as last year, while on a three game losing streak, he locked his players out of the locker room and forbid them to wear any Duke attire...and he's done that several times previously. He may have toned down some while in front of the cameras but he's still a raging task master behind closed doors. It's OK to be an @sshole when your team's winning... Wardle just needs to win and he can be as big of a D as he wants to be.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:20 pm
dogsrus wrote:
SFP wrote:

Coach K ain't the saint some make him out to be. When his team is losing he's a big whining, cursing baby. As recently as last year, while on a three game losing streak, he locked his players out of the locker room and forbid them to wear any Duke attire...and he's done that several times previously. He may have toned down some while in front of the cameras but he's still a raging task master behind closed doors. It's OK to be an @sshole when your team's winning... Wardle just needs to win and he can be as big of a D as he wants to be.
I'm not a Coach K fan but he has mellowed out over the years. It also has been self serving because he knows he had to compete with Calipari for the best recruits. The one coach I believe has the right mix at the college level is Tom Izzo. He also recruits players that fits his system and culture.

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:00 pm

SFP wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:35 pm
Braves4Life wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:20 pm
dogsrus wrote:

I'm not a Coach K fan but he has mellowed out over the years. It also has been self serving because he knows he had to compete with Calipari for the best recruits. The one coach I believe has the right mix at the college level is Tom Izzo. He also recruits players that fits his system and culture.

Coach K is a hypocrite of the highest order and one of the most media protected coaches in sports history. He is just as dirty as Calipari. The fact that he is deified in some circles makes me grimace.

Dont get me wrong I appreciate a coach that will bend and break recruiting rules and not get caught. It’s nust that K gets on his high horse about being clean, no one ever questions when stories like Maggette happen, and the media just glosses right over it.