2019 BU recruiting

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
quince

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by quince » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:23 am

AllStateMidstate wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:44 am
P.E. Is no easy or cake walk,major.

Some might want to do some research on this...
Yes, making the decision to do floor hockey or badminton during the week before Christmas break has got to be one of the most difficult things ever.

AllStateMidstate
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by AllStateMidstate » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:00 am

quince wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:23 am
AllStateMidstate wrote:

Yes, making the decision to do floor hockey or badminton during the week before Christmas break has got to be one of the most difficult things ever.
Or an anatomy course,but hey you must be an art teacher

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 am
AllStateMidstate wrote:

I’m not saying it is. But a fair amount of athletes want to major in it and Bradley doesn’t offer it.
You already mentioned this, but they need to be pushing the Sports Communications major HARD with incoming athletes. PE is no joke. It’s considered an exercise science major so they are taking these core classes(just as an example, since I majored in ES): biomechanics, anatomy, exercise physiology, movement neuroscience. This is all on top of having to take education classes also. PE today is not PE from when we grew up where the coach just rolled the balls out and said have at it.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

quince

Post by quince » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
AllStateMidstate wrote:

I’m not saying it is. But a fair amount of athletes want to major in it and Bradley doesn’t offer it.
You already mentioned this, but they need to be pushing the Sports Communications major HARD with incoming athletes. PE is no joke. It’s considered an exercise science major so they are taking these core classes(just as an example, since I majored in ES): biomechanics, anatomy, exercise physiology, movement neuroscience. This is all on top of having to take education classes also. PE today is not PE from when we grew up where the coach just rolled the balls out and said have at it.
Oh. So, they actually have to take real college classes to get a degree? Well, that’s good.

PE teachers still roll the ball out. They aren’t teaching high school kids about anatomy and physiology.

And sports communication is great if you want to make $20,000 per year starting out.

RobertsonFieldHouse7

Post by RobertsonFieldHouse7 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Antonio Thomas and Memphis East currently on ESPN2 playing a made-for-TV showcase vs Rancho Christian of California.

He's overshadowed by some major big-boy talent on his team, but has looked aggressive on D at times, jumping lanes for deflections a couple of times, and flat-footed in others.

He's not asked to do much on their O, which basically consists of getting it inside to the big guy(s) and moving out of the way to give 'em space.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:14 pm

quince wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm
pndbaseball12 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:

Oh. So, they actually have to take real college classes to get a degree? Well, that’s good.

PE teachers still roll the ball out. They aren’t teaching high school kids about anatomy and physiology.

And sports communication is great if you want to make $20,000 per year starting out.
They take more real college classes than a generic Comm Major does...

And yeah, PE teachers are just ROLLING in the money coming right out of college... :roll: that’s a great counter point

I think this argument is a lot like facilities. Yeah it’s shiny and you think it will attract, but how many Division 1 basketball players are PE majors? It’s a show pony. I think that number is a lot lower than people think. Just looked up 6 different rosters in the Valley: Bradley, ISUr, ISUb, UNI, SIU and Drake. Drake does not post majors on their roster page and Bradley obviously doesn’t have the major. So of those 5 rosters guess how many majors were anything resembling PE. 2. TWO! And that was at SIU which has to have the easiest entrance requirements in the whole entire conference. Whole lot of sport management and communications. Hmmmm sounds a lot like an entire department Bradley literally created one of the first, if not the first of its kind in the country.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

PH
All World
All World

Post by PH » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:45 pm

I thought the biggest problem regarding PE majors was the lack of credits one could transfer into BU.
If BU doesn’t have the equivalent class, then credits don’t count towards NCAA eligibility.
i.e. someone with 62 credits at a Juco, but 12 credits are PE classes, so Bradley could only transfer in 50 credits...then the NCAA determines that 3rd year player is an athletically ineligible sophomore.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:51 am

PH wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:45 pm
I thought the biggest problem regarding PE majors was the lack of credits one could transfer into BU.
If BU doesn’t have the equivalent class, then credits don’t count towards NCAA eligibility.
i.e. someone with 62 credits at a Juco, but 12 credits are PE classes, so Bradley could only transfer in 50 credits...then the NCAA determines that 3rd year player is an athletically ineligible sophomore.
Right. That’s the biggest issue.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:52 am

PH wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:45 pm
This is why administration needs to make changes on their academic majors, how can we compete as far as recruiting when it is not a level playing field.They say it is very important that the sports programs do well and mens basketball more so because of the revenue they generate yet they make it harder because of the lack of a P.E. major .

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:43 pm

ER3 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:48 pm
It will be interesting to see what type of player he is once he is out of the shadow of the couple of studs he is currently playing with...maybe there is a little more shooting/scoring ability there than we are seeing from him right now as dictated by his role as the 3rd option on his HS team.
After watching Thomas play on espn I think he may be good enough to start (or play significant minutes) at point guard his freshman year, which would allow Brown to move to more of a combo/scoring guard. I have no idea how well Thomas can shoot but I think his control with the ball and his decision-making ability is better than any of our current guards
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:34 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:43 pm
ER3 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:48 pm
It will be interesting to see what type of player he is once he is out of the shadow of the couple of studs he is currently playing with...maybe there is a little more shooting/scoring ability there than we are seeing from him right now as dictated by his role as the 3rd option on his HS team.
After watching Thomas play on espn I think he may be good enough to start (or play significant minutes) at point guard his freshman year, which would allow Brown to move to more of a combo/scoring guard. I have no idea how well Thomas can shoot but I think his control with the ball and his decision-making ability is better than any of our current guards
Man. Having a 5-9 and a 5-11 dude out there together would be tough on the defensive end.
~Thomas Jefferson

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:48 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:34 pm
Man. Having a 5-9 and a 5-11 dude out there together would be tough on the defensive end.
Play zone. With a 7'1" and/or 6'11" in the middle to protect the rim you can get away with a lot, especially in the Valley. BU had a similar size lineup with O'Bryant in the middle.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:51 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:48 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:34 pm
Play zone. With a 7'1" and/or 6'11" in the middle to protect the rim you can get away with a lot, especially in the Valley. BU had a similar size lineup with O'Bryant in the middle.
True.
~Thomas Jefferson

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 pm

So as we look at next year’s roster in a make-or-break season, there’s going to be quite a different look than what we have now...

Departures

DLO
Van Bree
Lundy
Hanley

Arrivals (no pun intended)

Thomas (PG)
Tahaivanen (SG)
Gabriel (SF)

*I don’t think Price will be here and honestly I don’t want him here at this point because I don’t think he helps at all.

So let’s assume at minimum 1 scholarship is left. If Pittman graduates that’s 2. If we have a transfer out, that’s 3. So we are looking at 4-6 new players next season. That’s quite a bit of roster turnover. But I think we can all agree it’s necessary. If 1 of the freshman is a contributor and you find 1-2 game-ready guys in the spring (big ‘if’), and this thing can turn on a dime. The 3 first year coaches are proving it’s possible, and we’ve seen it happen here at Bradley too. Just gotta make sure you don’t miss this spring, because you may not get another one.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

ER3
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by ER3 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:42 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 pm
So as we look at next year’s roster in a make-or-break season, there’s going to be quite a different look than what we have now...

Departures

DLO
Van Bree
Lundy
Hanley

Thomas (PG)
Tahaivanen (SG)
Gabriel (SF)

*I don’t think Price will be here and honestly I don’t want him here at this point because I don’t think he helps at all.

So let’s assume at minimum 1 scholarship is left. If Pittman graduates that’s 2. If we have a transfer out, that’s 3. So we are looking at 4-6 new players next season. That’s quite a bit of roster turnover. But I think we can all agree it’s necessary. If 1 of the freshman is a contributor and you find 1-2 game-ready guys in the spring (big ‘if’), and this thing can turn on a dime. The 3 first year coaches are proving it’s possible, and we’ve seen it happen here at Bradley too. Just gotta make sure you don’t miss this spring, because you may not get another one.
There needs to be way more turnover than this if we expect to see something that looks substantially different/ better next year.

Hodgson, Pittman, Brummett, Henry, and Price...all of those scholarships need to be pulled and used for true Valley level contributors. None of those 5 are even close.

The staff needs to be blown up too at this point. Bring in a couple/few new guys with much better recruiting connections and one that can bring in some new offensive schemes.

Drew Adams was brought in to leverage his connection to the Indiana Elite AAU organization. In 5 recruiting cycles, we have gotten two guys with Indiana Elite connections, Koch Bar and Ari Boya. That is a pathetic 5 year return on that AAU connection.

Mike Bargen was brought in and had extensive connections in the JUCO ranks and was thought to be bringing in some of the wrinkles of Dana Altman’s offensive system. We’ve brought in zero impactful JUCO players in 5 recruiting cycles and have nothing that resembles a quality offensive system.

The current staff is failing miserably on the recruiting front, so just opening up more scholarships for them to try and fill isn’t going to be enough. Bring in a new assistant that is a JUCO coach that has a couple studs on his current team looking for a place to play next year...bring in a high school coach that has a son that is a 4 star guy that will come with him...bring in a guy that has an offensive system he can implement.

Whatever this current group of assistants is supposed to bring to the table isn’t nearly good enough. The talent level here is embarrassingly awful, player development isn’t happening year over year, and the overall execution on game days is abysmal. If you can’t get rid of Wardle now, then you at least have to make some changes on the staff to give the impression that we might be able to expect better results in recruiting and in game day execution. Bring back the entire staff and I see no reason to expect anything different to happen in year 5 than what we have seen thus far.

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:55 pm

ER3 you're talking about BU playing the game and something we've been too proud to do. I'm with you and I say we just need to get players. I'm also for taking marginal academic players, something we've also been opposed to in the past. Who cares where we finish in the academic world with athletics. Does that pay the bill or even win in the recruiting battle? Obviously it does not. We're either willing to do what it takes to compete or as some have said go down to another division. I'm not ready to give up just yet but there may be a time that it could be prudent for the financial health of the University.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:00 pm

Its hard to disagree with anything you said there ER3 and you pretty well hit on my statement of "significant changes need to happen".

The question is, what aspiring assistants could you even get for a possible lame duck coach? Wouldnt you almost have to overpay them and also throw in a caveat that if things do get turned around you may get a good shot at the job?

Let me also throw it this way, if Wardle had done well, would we have been OK with any of these guys being elevated to the head job? They are one of the better groups we have had as far as competency, but i cant say the answer would be yes there.

Off the wall name would be wondering if AJ would want to come home and join the staff. He has a whole lot of influence in the basketball world, especially locally. But its just a thought.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:04 pm

SFP wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:55 pm
ER3 you're talking about BU playing the game and something we've been to proud to do. I'm with you and I say we just need to get players. I'm also for taking marginal academic players, something we've also been opposed to in the past. Who cares where we finish in the academic world with athletics. Does that pay the bill or even win in the recruiting battle? Obviously it does not. We're either willing to do what it takes to compete or as some have said go down to another division. I'm not ready to give up just yet but there may be a time that it could be prudent for the financial health of the University.
Bradley and its administrators have never been willing to make concessions in that area, and while not the main reason, it could be a piece that causes yet another coach his job.

I will say that i have not heard many stories about Wardle and borderline recruits like i did with Geno though. Granted, Geno did try to slide some guys through and during the final year we did have one non-qualifier and another couple that would have been ineligible had the staff being held for another season.

Sometimes those things are real gambles.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:05 pm

SFP wrote:
ER3 you're talking about BU playing the game and something we've been too proud to do. I'm with you and I say we just need to get players. I'm also for taking marginal academic players, something we've also been opposed to in the past. Who cares where we finish in the academic world with athletics. Does that pay the bill or even win in the recruiting battle? Obviously it does not. We're either willing to do what it takes to compete or as some have said go down to another division. I'm not ready to give up just yet but there may be a time that it could be prudent for the financial health of the University.
Has any fan on this message board, in all the cumulative years of us watching Bradley basketball, left a game at Carver Arena and heard the fans talk amongst themselves about how good of guys the players are off the court or how well they are doing in the classroom?
~Thomas Jefferson

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:17 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Has any fan on this message board, in all the cumulative years of us watching Bradley basketball, left a game at Carver Arena and heard the fans talk amongst themselves about how good of guys the players are off the court or how well they are doing in the classroom?
Usually thats a thing the opposite sex or non basketball fan or employee of the university comment.

As long as the guys arent on the local police report on the regular or causing a ruckus in the community and can stay eligible, I'm not all that concerned.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:22 pm

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:17 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:

Usually thats a thing the opposite sex or non basketball fan or employee of the university comment.

As long as the guys arent on the local police report on the regular or causing a ruckus in the community and can stay eligible, I'm not all that concerned.
I think you speak for 99% of the fans.
~Thomas Jefferson

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:05 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:22 pm
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

As much as I agree, you can find people taking pride of the accumulative GPA of our players in the past. I'd look for those posts but I'm not in the mood. Whatever I say. As Al Davis said,"Just win baby."

"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:41 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:22 pm
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Agree. Give me a 2.2 team GPA and a .800 winning percentage. That’s the 3.0 I want the teams to have.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:07 pm

ER3 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:42 pm
BradleyBrave wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Departures

DLO
Van Bree
Lundy
Hanley

Thomas (PG)
Tahaivanen (SG)
Gabriel (SF)

There needs to be way more turnover than this if we expect to see something that looks substantially different/ better next year.

Hodgson, Pittman, Brummett, Henry, and Price...all of those scholarships need to be pulled and used for true Valley level contributors. None of those 5 are even close.

The staff needs to be blown up too at this point. Bring in a couple/few new guys with much better recruiting connections and one that can bring in some new offensive schemes.

Drew Adams was brought in to leverage his connection to the Indiana Elite AAU organization. In 5 recruiting cycles, we have gotten two guys with Indiana Elite connections, Koch Bar and Ari Boya. That is a pathetic 5 year return on that AAU connection.

Mike Bargen was brought in and had extensive connections in the JUCO ranks and was thought to be bringing in some of the wrinkles of Dana Altman’s offensive system. We’ve brought in zero impactful JUCO players in 5 recruiting cycles and have nothing that resembles a quality offensive system.

The current staff is failing miserably on the recruiting front, so just opening up more scholarships for them to try and fill isn’t going to be enough. Bring in a new assistant that is a JUCO coach that has a couple studs on his current team looking for a place to play next year...bring in a high school coach that has a son that is a 4 star guy that will come with him...bring in a guy that has an offensive system he can implement.

Whatever this current group of assistants is supposed to bring to the table isn’t nearly good enough. The talent level here is embarrassingly awful, player development isn’t happening year over year, and the overall execution on game days is abysmal. If you can’t get rid of Wardle now, then you at least have to make some changes on the staff to give the impression that we might be able to expect better results in recruiting and in game day execution. Bring back the entire staff and I see no reason to expect anything different to happen in year 5 than what we have seen thus far.
I am totally with you on bringing in a JUCO coach that can bring with him quality players. Do not expect that to happen with our head coach. If this staff returns in whole next year then we as fans cannot expect better results. I will be dropping my donation and maintenance fees if significant changes are not made in staff and recruiting as the amount of money spent does not coincide with the product. I have talked to some big donors that feel the same way about this issue.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:17 pm

SFP wrote:
I have stated from day one that I could care less about the academic side, they just need to stay eligible .