2019 BU recruiting

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:07 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:16 pm
This staff will not force anyone to leave. Nor should they. Of course they will let guys know what the future looks like for them on campus but they aren't going to yank anyone's scholarship.
There is a first time for everything. The numbers just do not add up.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

quince

Post by quince » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Jayden Hodgson needs to leave. Whether it’s by him voluntarily going, or him getting tossed, whatever. He’s getting walk-on minutes now. He can’t play, for whatever reason. He will become another Milos if he stays here.

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:04 pm

quince wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:20 pm
Jayden Hodgson needs to leave. Whether it’s by him voluntarily going, or him getting tossed, whatever. He’s getting walk-on minutes now. He can’t play, for whatever reason. He will become another Milos if he stays here.
LOL Needs to leave? The coaching staff will do the right thing and players will do what they believe is right for them. Needs to leave is a bit harsh!
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

quince

Post by quince » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:29 am

SFP wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:04 pm
quince wrote:
LOL Needs to leave? The coaching staff will do the right thing and players will do what they believe is right for them. Needs to leave is a bit harsh!
Yes, you're right. That was a bit harsh. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. If you were offended by my comment, please accept my apology.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 am

quince wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:29 am
I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. If you were offended by my comment, please accept my apology.
Such a great tagline for today's world. I might need to steal that so I can continue to go through life without ever having to worry about every word that comes out of my mouth. :lol:
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:13 am

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:07 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
This staff will not force anyone to leave. Nor should they. Of course they will let guys know what the future looks like for them on campus but they aren't going to yank anyone's scholarship.
No kidding, they just do not have to renew them.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 am

Braves4Life wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 am
quince wrote:
I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. If you were offended by my comment, please accept my apology.
Such a great tagline for today's world. I might need to steal that so I can continue to go through life without ever having to worry about every word that comes out of my mouth. :lol:
Ah, yes the non-apology apology. Any apology that starts with:

"I'd like to apologize" or

"If anyone was offended or upset by my comments"

Are not apologies. Both are mocking, and belittle the other individual.

Why? Well the first is obvious..."like to"? What's stopping you?

The latter is a little more complex, but basically you're implying that no one should be upset, and you really don't believe they are, so here is a sarcastic apology for someone who is probably not really upset to begin with. It puts all the responsibility for the apology on the other person.

Both instances are effectively just doing this: :nana
Last edited by squirrel on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:42 am

And let's not forget, "You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong." I think I like that one even more. :lol:

FWIW, I agree with you squirrel as my above post is in jest... But I digress. :joker

Ok, back on topic now. :smart

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am

real fan wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:13 am
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
And they aren’t going to tell two seniors, Jayden Hodgson and Antoine Pittman that they don’t have scholarships next year. Of course it doesnt mean they will stay but they wont yank their scholarship.
Last edited by tribecalledquest on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am

Braves4Life wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:42 am
And let's not forget, "You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong." I think I like that one even more. :lol:

FWIW, I agree with you squirrel as my above post is in jest... But I digress. :joker

Ok, back on topic now. :smart
Right, had that...just a pet peeve of mine regarding apologies...apologize or don't. I don't care. Sometimes it just needs to be said. :lol:
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am

And they aren’t going to tell two seniors, Jayden Hodgson and Antoine Pittman that they don’t have scholarships next year. Of course it doesnt mean they will stay but they wont yank their scholarship.
It would be such a black eye if we ever did that, not to mention it's just the wrong thing to do to someone so close to graduating.

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 am

SFP wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:04 pm
quince wrote:
I'm not sure why that's a bit harsh. The truth is, he is barely even getting Hanley scholarship minutes at this point. It's probably time to recruit over him....it shouldn't be too difficult to do!
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:30 am

real fan wrote:
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
Right....it isn't exactly yanking a scholarship if it isn't even there.
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Lake Camelot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
real fan wrote:
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:

They probably wouldn't. But it matters to me if they have graduated. If they already have their degree I have no problem telling them ""you would be much better off transferring to a school that you are going to get to play at. Enjoy your Senior year there" If they are close, but haven't graduated. Then I do nothing except tell them what they should work on in the offseason.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:35 am

shaunguth wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:30 am
real fan wrote:
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:

Right....it isn't exactly yanking a scholarship if it isn't even there.
Shaun...there are personal and human issues at play here.
~Thomas Jefferson

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:37 am

Lake Camelot wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
real fan wrote:

They probably wouldn't. But it matters to me if they have graduated. If they already have their degree I have no problem telling them ""you would be much better off transferring to a school that you are going to get to play at. Enjoy your Senior year there" If they are close, but haven't graduated. Then I do nothing except tell them what they should work on in the offseason.
These guys aren't idiots. They know whats going on. The coaches will be honest with them about where they are in the plans of the program going forward. They may be told there won't be much playing time. But they aren't going to tell two seniors, who bought into you when your program was at the ground level, to take a hike now that you are better. That isn't happening. Nor should it.
~Thomas Jefferson

quince

Post by quince » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:46 am

squirrel wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 am
Braves4Life wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 am
quince wrote:
Ah, yes the non-apology apology. Any apology that starts with:

"I'd like to apologize" or

"If anyone was offended or upset by my comments"

Are not apologies. Both are mocking, and belittle the other individual.

Why? Well the first is obvious..."like to"? What's stopping you?

The latter is a little more complex, but basically you're implying that no one should be upset, and you really don't believe they are, so here is a sarcastic apology for someone who is probably not really upset to begin with. It puts all the responsibility for the apology on the other person.

Both instances are effectively just doing this: :nana
My goodness.

It’s kinda like I’ve been told before. If you don’t like what I have to say, ignore it. Better yet don’t respond to it.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:30 pm

quince wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:46 am

My goodness.

It’s kinda like I’ve been told before. If you don’t like what I have to say, ignore it. Better yet don’t respond to it.
Comment was general and not directed at you.

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:31 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:37 am
Lake Camelot wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 am
tribecalledquest wrote:

These guys aren't idiots. They know whats going on. The coaches will be honest with them about where they are in the plans of the program going forward. They may be told there won't be much playing time. But they aren't going to tell two seniors, who bought into you when your program was at the ground level, to take a hike now that you are better. That isn't happening. Nor should it.
I agree with this, especially in the case of Hodgson.

Pittman, hypothetically, should be graduating in the spring which would open him up to go anywhere he wants/wants him. If that is his academic case, I can't imagine wanting to stick around to be 12th or 13th man as a 5th year guy.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:46 pm

JMM28 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:31 pm
I agree with this, especially in the case of Hodgson.

Pittman, hypothetically, should be graduating in the spring which would open him up to go anywhere he wants/wants him. If that is his academic case, I can't imagine wanting to stick around to be 12th or 13th man as a 5th year guy.
You took the words right out of my mouth JMM28. It would be logical to assume that Pittman should have the credits to graduate, while it should be unlikely for Hodgson. Unless the Hodgson family is on sound financial footing, or unless Bradley can help him secure a near full ride elsewhere, we should assume that Hodgson will return to finish his senior year and graduate... As it should be.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:37 pm

I like how most want Bradley to win championships yet are not happy about how certain players perform but do not want to replace them with better ones that give them a better chance at winning. Will you cannot have it both ways, tough decisions have to be made if you expect better results.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:59 pm

real fan wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:37 pm
I like how most want Bradley to win championships yet are not happy about how certain players perform but do not want to replace them with better ones that give them a better chance at winning. Will you cannot have it both ways, tough decisions have to be made if you expect better results.
This isn’t about what people want. This is about what we think will and should happen.

This isn’t pro sports.
~Thomas Jefferson

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:02 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:59 pm
real fan wrote:
This isn’t about what people want. This is about what we think will and should happen.

This isn’t pro sports.
Its all nice in theory, but other schools do this all the time...ALL THE TIME. Schools that many on here would like to emulate. Schools that win.

Again, at some point tough decisions need to be made. And again, the numbers of entry vs numbers of exit just don't add up, and if I am going to have to choose, I am probably going to tell someone who has been lapped by every single Guard on the roster vs telling someone like Boya who may still have a shot with a full offseason and much more time left that they wont be receiving ANY playing time going forward and there is a chance their scholarship wont be renewed.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:02 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
real fan wrote:

This isn’t pro sports.
Its all nice in theory, but other schools do this all the time...ALL THE TIME. Schools that many on here would like to emulate. Schools that win.

Again, at some point tough decisions need to be made. And again, the numbers of entry vs numbers of exit just don't add up, and if I am going to have to choose, I am probably going to tell someone who has been lapped by every single Guard on the roster vs telling someone like Boya who may still have a shot with a full offseason and much more time left that they wont be receiving ANY playing time going forward and there is a chance their scholarship wont be renewed.
What school do you no of told a senior that they weren’t welcome back and they should hit the road?

And what numbers currently don’t add up? There are four out (Lundy, DLO, Hanley and Luuk) and four in (Gabriel, Ville, Mast and Thomas).

I am sure there will be some defections. Tbere always are. But it won’t be because Bradley lulled a scholarship to a guy who is a senior. If he decides to leave on his own that’s something different.
~Thomas Jefferson

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:59 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:02 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:

This isn’t pro sports.

What school do you no of told a senior that they weren’t welcome back and they should hit the road?

And what numbers currently don’t add up? There are four out (Lundy, DLO, Hanley and Luuk) and four in (Gabriel, Ville, Mast and Thomas).

I am sure there will be some defections. Tbere always are. But it won’t be because Bradley lulled a scholarship to a guy who is a senior. If he decides to leave on his own that’s something different.
Players are not leaving on their own, they are persuaded to for the most part. You really think the other schools do not tell players that they have no future in the program and their scholarship is not being renewed? The way I look at it is when you give a player three years to prove he belongs at this level and he fails you just cannot afford to keep dead weight. I also do not want a player on my roster that is satisfied to sit the bench when there are plenty of other schools where he could actually play. Barker has done well at his new school and should be much happier actually playing basketball which is why he came to this country.