Buzz-Woj-Wardle

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 31282
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by squirrel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:35 pm

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:36 am
Yeah, if I recall correctly (Im sure you remember this better SQ), Fran McCaffrey who is now at Iowa was a prime candidate and had real serious interest, but had his meeting and found out the offer and laughed it off all the way back to UNCG and then took the Siena job which paid substantially more than Bradley at the time 3 years later.
Yep, it was him. The real kicker is that Marshall (who most likely was an applicant though not a serious candidate) had already taken Winthrop to 3 NCAAs from the same league, and actually may have taken the smaller salary. :roll:
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 9117
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: The Gate City
Contact:

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by Braves4Life » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:00 pm

squirrel wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:35 pm
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:36 am
Yeah, if I recall correctly (Im sure you remember this better SQ), Fran McCaffrey who is now at Iowa was a prime candidate and had real serious interest, but had his meeting and found out the offer and laughed it off all the way back to UNCG and then took the Siena job which paid substantially more than Bradley at the time 3 years later.
Yep, it was him. The real kicker is that Marshall (who most likely was an applicant though not a serious candidate) had already taken Winthrop to 3 NCAAs from the same league, and actually may have taken the smaller salary. :roll:
McCaffrey was only making $70,000 at the time. How much was our offer, and how much was Les' first contract for?
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

Image

User avatar
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 11561
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:49 pm

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by dogsrus » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:58 am

Braves4Life wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:00 pm
squirrel wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:35 pm
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:36 am
Yeah, if I recall correctly (Im sure you remember this better SQ), Fran McCaffrey who is now at Iowa was a prime candidate and had real serious interest, but had his meeting and found out the offer and laughed it off all the way back to UNCG and then took the Siena job which paid substantially more than Bradley at the time 3 years later.
Yep, it was him. The real kicker is that Marshall (who most likely was an applicant though not a serious candidate) had already taken Winthrop to 3 NCAAs from the same league, and actually may have taken the smaller salary. :roll:
McCaffrey was only making $70,000 at the time. How much was our offer, and how much was Les' first contract for?
Im not sure but it was before the 15$ minimum wage increase.....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

User avatar
JD
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6124
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:59 pm
Location: Heartland

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by JD » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:09 pm

“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

User avatar
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 9117
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: The Gate City
Contact:

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by Braves4Life » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:23 pm

Wow! Young just went from 5 years and about $1M to 5 and $12M. Now THAT'S a no-brainer.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

Image

User avatar
SFP
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3725
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by SFP » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:39 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:23 pm
Wow! Young just went from 5 years and about $1M to 5 and $12M. Now THAT'S a no-brainer.
Imagine that! :D
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

User avatar
Ozark Husk
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:46 pm

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by Ozark Husk » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:43 pm

Anymore leads from me you’ll just have to ask directly. Too many haters on the socials.

Buxcies
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by Buxcies » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:17 pm

Luke Walton was just fired by the Lakers. Should we worry about Wardle leaving for that job opening??

BUFanatic
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by BUFanatic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:15 am

Buxcies wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:17 pm
Luke Walton was just fired by the Lakers. Should we worry about Wardle leaving for that job opening??
As long as we get dad Bill for the post game interviews :drunk
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

User avatar
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 19113
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:37 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 pm

Guess we should start wondering about Wardle as a potential candidate for Loyola now?

(Fwiw I think Bryce Drew would be the best out there unless he thinks he is headed back to Valpo in a year)
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

BUFanatic
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by BUFanatic » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:03 pm

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 pm
Guess we should start wondering about Wardle as a potential candidate for Loyola now?

(Fwiw I think Bryce Drew would be the best out there unless he thinks he is headed back to Valpo in a year)
I don’t think Wardle would leave for a Valley job, he doesn’t seem like that type of guy even though I don’t know him from Adam.

Unless Drew has some insane amount of Alumni pride he should take the Loyola job if he’s offered both. While the Drews are the Royal Family of Porter County it’s not exactly the most prestigious title....
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

User avatar
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 19113
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:37 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:14 pm

I was kidding about the Wardle stuff...

Maybe we should ask Ozark about it all. Probably has his ear to the ground there too.

I can't wait for guys like Chin Coleman and Robert Smith and Nick Irvin to all put their names out should the job come open :lol:
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

User avatar
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 9117
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: The Gate City
Contact:

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by Braves4Life » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:29 am

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 pm


(Fwiw I think Bryce Drew would be the best out there unless he thinks he is headed back to Valpo in a year)
Drew would be a fool to wait for Valpo if Loyola opens up and offers him. There's really no comparison between Loyola and Valpo in any way.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

Image

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 21387
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by tribecalledquest » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:37 am

Braves4Life wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:29 am
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 pm


(Fwiw I think Bryce Drew would be the best out there unless he thinks he is headed back to Valpo in a year)
Drew would be a fool to wait for Valpo if Loyola opens up and offers him. There's really no comparison between Loyola and Valpo in any way.
It’s amazing how perceptions of programs change in two-three years. Not saying your wrong but Loyola > Valpo is a very new development.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 9117
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: The Gate City
Contact:

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by Braves4Life » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:07 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:37 am
Braves4Life wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:29 am
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 pm


(Fwiw I think Bryce Drew would be the best out there unless he thinks he is headed back to Valpo in a year)
Drew would be a fool to wait for Valpo if Loyola opens up and offers him. There's really no comparison between Loyola and Valpo in any way.
It’s amazing how perceptions of programs change in two-three years. Not saying your wrong but Loyola > Valpo is a very new development.
Great point tribe. It all depends if you look at a 3-5 year time horizon versus 5-10. Of course, I'd have to think Loyola would be able and willing to pay more than Valpo for a coach. Rumor ha it SJU offered Moser 8 years and between $2-2.5M/year. I doubt Loyola would be willing to go above $1.5M/year, so it will be interesting to see what Moser chooses.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

Image

User avatar
BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 15527
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Emergency Room
Contact:

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by BradleyBrave » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Why he would pass up more than doubling his salary in this line of work is beyond me. I know he comes from a wealthy upbringing but I think he’d be foolish to pass this up.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 31282
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by squirrel » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:53 pm

$2.5M probably goes about as far in NYC as $1.5M in Chicago.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 9117
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: The Gate City
Contact:

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by Braves4Life » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:56 pm

squirrel wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:53 pm
$2.5M probably goes about as far in NYC as $1.5M in Chicago.
Bingo! Now, he may be attempting to get SJU to pony up for transportation, housing, as well as schooling for his kids.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

Image

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 21387
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by tribecalledquest » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:05 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:56 pm
squirrel wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:53 pm
$2.5M probably goes about as far in NYC as $1.5M in Chicago.
Bingo! Now, he may be attempting to get SJU to pony up for transportation, housing, as well as schooling for his kids.
Loyola won’t go to 1.5 million. If they do they are foolish as hell.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
JD
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6124
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:59 pm
Location: Heartland

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by JD » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:24 am

Porter stays
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:19 am
Location: here and there

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by bigdaddystuck » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:29 am

I am not surprised by Porter's decision. He has the beginnings of something there in Loyola and has ties to the Midwest, especially recruiting. Though it does make you wonder how underwhelming the St. John's offer might have been.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner.
Vince Lombardi

User avatar
BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 15527
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Emergency Room
Contact:

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by BradleyBrave » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:39 am

When Loyola is muddling in the middle at 8-10 in a couple of years and the Gentile is empty again, Porter might be second guessing his decision.

That said, very nice message he tweeted for Rambler fans.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

User avatar
bcg
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:42 pm

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by bcg » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:40 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:39 am
When Loyola is muddling in the middle at 8-10 in a couple of years and the Gentile is empty again, Porter might be second guessing his decision.
I think with the new practice facility, the recent financial commitment to basketball and recruits, Loyola should be good for the foreseeable future.

User avatar
BradleyMathGrad
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by BradleyMathGrad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:27 pm

bcg wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:40 am
BradleyBrave wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:39 am
When Loyola is muddling in the middle at 8-10 in a couple of years and the Gentile is empty again, Porter might be second guessing his decision.
I think with the new practice facility, the recent financial commitment to basketball and recruits, Loyola should be good for the foreseeable future.
..."should" being the key word.
Remember that atmosphere when we played against Michigan, having a stretch of play where it actually got loud enough that we forced them to call Timeout.

Let's get back to that.

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3921
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 am

Re: Buzz-Woj-Wardle

Post by JMM28 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:30 pm

BradleyMathGrad wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:27 pm
bcg wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:40 am
BradleyBrave wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:39 am
When Loyola is muddling in the middle at 8-10 in a couple of years and the Gentile is empty again, Porter might be second guessing his decision.
I think with the new practice facility, the recent financial commitment to basketball and recruits, Loyola should be good for the foreseeable future.
..."should" being the key word.
Same exact phrase was said about Bradley at this time in 2006.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests