Bradley's depth 19/20 season

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
mexicoBUfan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by mexicoBUfan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:14 pm

What, are you Ranger Smith 😀?

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:12 pm

mexicoBUfan wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:14 pm
What, are you Ranger Smith 😀?
I personally was going to give you an amen. I hope he's as good as advertised because that will free DB up to play on the wing where I believe he's most dangerous.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

HoustonBrave
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by HoustonBrave » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:16 am

Unfortunately, I strongly believe that Boya will still be a project next season. Sorry to say, but I do not see him helping the team much during this upcoming season, other than blocking few shots and scoring few points, but, at the expense of neutralizing our other big men and disrupting the team's chemistry. His role should be limited as much as possible and only when we have a comfortable lead, because he crowds the paint and forces our higher-quality big men out of the paint where they are less effective. Boya needs at least another year to continue to work hard on his game before he could possibly be an impact player for the Braves. I am sure that if he remains patient / realistic, he will improve and could become a key-contributor. However, forcing him into the rotation before he is ready to contribute (to the overall team production) will only hurt the team, as it did during our losing streak in the middle of last season. Thankfully Henry replaced him off the bench, and we started re-gaining confidence and winning again, thus ending the season with a trip to the Big Dance. Big credit to our coaching staff for adjusting the rotation and player minutes. So, given what happened last season, our excellent coaching staff have surely learned from the bitter experience of pre-maturely inserting Boya into the rotation "especially during close games" where each player needs to make every teammate around him better.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:11 am

Boya was a little bit of a fish out of water last year, but that had more to do with not being able to practice and missing the non-con. That's huge, especially for a frosh.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:14 am

The only thing that can stop this team from being a championship contender this year is health.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:32 pm

Hopefully Boya is working on his pick and roll and a mid-range jumper. Besides setting picks what else would he need to do? On the defensive side of the ball hopefully he learned a lot last year of the system and what is needed. As a Sophomore I hope he can play meaningful minutes and I have to believe he can. We'll see what type of determination the kid has.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:23 pm

squirrel wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:11 am
Boya was a little bit of a fish out of water last year, but that had more to do with not being able to practice and missing the non-con. That's huge, especially for a frosh.
I think Boya and Bar will be this season's pleasant surprises. They both looked improved in video I've seen of them.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

LJSites
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by LJSites » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:23 pm
squirrel wrote:
I think Boya and Bar will be this season's pleasant surprises. They both looked improved in video I've seen of them.
Bar is a 15-20 mpg guy that excelled last season in the non-con at times with averages of:
  • 9.6 ppg
    5.5 rpg
    1.5 blk+stl
His game had enormous peaks and valleys. His FG% and FT% were absurdly high. What's weird is his best games were against the better non-con opponents. His home/road splits were insane, but he played very well on a neutral court. It seems when he got into early foul trouble, he had a sub-par game.

I'm for Bar in the starting lineup. He's a senior, so this should be his most consistent year. He's longer than most for the jump. Feed him a few times early. See if he can impact the game by keeping people out of the lane early. Sub him out at the 16, and get him another 5 somewhere in the first half. Do the same in the second. I don't mind him playing when we're in the bonus towards the end of halves either because he can knock down FTs.

A combo of JH/EC at the 4/5 and a sprinkle of Boya gets you there.

I expect improvement from Bar and more consistency. If that happens, I think that 9ppg and 6rpg is a real possibility, especially with a ton of focus on Childs down low.

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:02 pm

Absolutely Bar starts but minutes will depend on who The Braves are playing. Hoping he is working on his hands. I like the guy and believe he puts in the work. He is what he is and I do expect more consistent play for longer stretches. He'll not be all conference material. Boya needs to put in the time on the court. He just did not play enough last year.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:55 pm

SFP wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:02 pm
Absolutely Bar starts but minutes will depend on who The Braves are playing. Hoping he is working on his hands. I like the guy and believe he puts in the work. He is what he is and I do expect more consistent play for longer stretches. He'll not be all conference material. Boya needs to put in the time on the court. He just did not play enough last year.
Boya was not 100% healthy last season, he could very well get the most minutes at center this season. Bar is an average player on a good team and he gives great effort yet he struggles with hand eye coordination plus his footwork is not good. I think he would be better served playing around 12 minutes a game . He had some very good games last season against mediocre competition but when we played against the better teams his numbers on offense went down . I hope he has greatly improved yet I just do not see that happening in his senior season.

BradleyMathGrad

Post by BradleyMathGrad » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:50 am

LJSites wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:21 pm
Braves4Life wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:23 pm
squirrel wrote:
Bar is a 15-20 mpg guy that excelled last season in the non-con at times with averages of:
  • 9.6 ppg
    5.5 rpg
    1.5 blk+stl
His game had enormous peaks and valleys. His FG% and FT% were absurdly high. What's weird is his best games were against the better non-con opponents. His home/road splits were insane, but he played very well on a neutral court. It seems when he got into early foul trouble, he had a sub-par game.

I'm for Bar in the starting lineup. He's a senior, so this should be his most consistent year. He's longer than most for the jump. Feed him a few times early. See if he can impact the game by keeping people out of the lane early. Sub him out at the 16, and get him another 5 somewhere in the first half. Do the same in the second. I don't mind him playing when we're in the bonus towards the end of halves either because he can knock down FTs.

A combo of JH/EC at the 4/5 and a sprinkle of Boya gets you there.

I expect improvement from Bar and more consistency. If that happens, I think that 9ppg and 6rpg is a real possibility, especially with a ton of focus on Childs down low.
This is one of the most well thought out and well written posts that I've seen on this site. I agree with every single word of it.
Remember that atmosphere when we played against Michigan, having a stretch of play where it actually got loud enough that we forced them to call Timeout.

Let's get back to that.

OrangeandBlack74
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by OrangeandBlack74 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:46 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:14 am
The only thing that can stop this team from being a championship contender this year is health.
100% agreed
Once a Brave...Always a Brave

LJSites

Post by LJSites » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:32 pm

OrangeandBlack74 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:46 pm
BradleyBrave wrote:
100% agreed
Agreed. But on a micro-level, foul trouble could cost us any one game.

I think there has to be a concerted effort by the coaching staff to develop a little depth in-game, especially early against some easier competition. I don't mean mop-up duty either. Get them in the guts of the game.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:51 pm

LJSites wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:32 pm
OrangeandBlack74 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:46 pm
BradleyBrave wrote:
100% agreed

I think there has to be a concerted effort by the coaching staff to develop a little depth in-game, especially early against some easier competition. I don't mean mop-up duty either. Get them in the guts of the game.
It is not an easy decision for the staff to put inexperienced players in against easier competition as winning games is more important. This roster is made up of a lot of very good players and just playing in practice against these guys should more then prepare our deep reserves to be ready to perform in games.

LJSites

Post by LJSites » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:32 pm

real fan wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:51 pm
LJSites wrote:

It is not an easy decision for the staff to put inexperienced players in against easier competition as winning games is more important. This roster is made up of a lot of very good players and just playing in practice against these guys should more then prepare our deep reserves to be ready to perform in games.
No doubt it isn't easy. But if the roster is as good as you say 1-6 or 7 (and I believe), then we shouldn't be risking victory to get the inexperienced guys some run when the game isn't out of hand.

Practicing against good competition in practice is part of the equation, but it isn't the full answer. It's the same 10-12 guys all the time. You learn people's tendencies, you face the same bodies and athletes every day, they/you get bored, and there is no simulation that truly mimics game day situation and performance mentally and physically. I'd say 5 minutes of real game time can be as impactful as multiple weeks worth of practice. You can practice driving a car in a parking lot for weeks and get it down, but getting out in public around other driver approaches, mindsets, skill-sets, and lack thereof teaches you a hell of a lot more. Do you need to practice getting up to speed in the parking lot? Yes. But until you're out on the open road you have only a slice of reality and experience to draw from in the future.

Is the goal to win the most number of games, or to get to the dance? Because at the end of the day, we're 90% likely going to have to win in St. Louis to dance. Having only 7 contributors at the outset of the season isn't the recipe to win 3 games in 3 days.

HoustonBrave
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by HoustonBrave » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:15 am

It is important to consider that we are not going to be the only "improved MVC team" during this upcoming season. In general, the quality of the coaching staff and players being recruited by each MVC basketball program has improved in recent years. Therefore, competitive parity among MVC basketball schools has also increased in recent years. So, no need to be overly optimistic about this upcoming season, instead it would be wise to be cautiously optimistic. Also, let us not forget, every team is going to play us harder in the upcoming season as we are the MVC reigning champs.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:55 pm

LJSites wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:32 pm
real fan wrote:
LJSites wrote:

No doubt it isn't easy. But if the roster is as good as you say 1-6 or 7 (and I believe), then we shouldn't be risking victory to get the inexperienced guys some run when the game isn't out of hand.

Practicing against good competition in practice is part of the equation, but it isn't the full answer. It's the same 10-12 guys all the time. You learn people's tendencies, you face the same bodies and athletes every day, they/you get bored, and there is no simulation that truly mimics game day situation and performance mentally and physically. I'd say 5 minutes of real game time can be as impactful as multiple weeks worth of practice. You can practice driving a car in a parking lot for weeks and get it down, but getting out in public around other driver approaches, mindsets, skill-sets, and lack thereof teaches you a hell of a lot more. Do you need to practice getting up to speed in the parking lot? Yes. But until you're out on the open road you have only a slice of reality and experience to draw from in the future.

Is the goal to win the most number of games, or to get to the dance? Because at the end of the day, we're 90% likely going to have to win in St. Louis to dance. Having only 7 contributors at the outset of the season isn't the recipe to win 3 games in 3 days.
Why are there just 7 contributors on this team? I expect at least 9 players to contribute on this team.

ER3
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by ER3 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:58 pm

real fan wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:55 pm
LJSites wrote:
real fan wrote:

Why are there just 7 contributors on this team? I expect at least 9 players to contribute on this team.
July is always the time where we expect our depth to be unbelievable...where we are convinced that every incoming freshman is so good that they will be pushing for a spot in the starting lineup from day 1...unbridled optimism is at its peak in July...

Realistically...right now I think we can safely say that 6 guys should be significant contributors in the rotation (15-30 minutes per game) this year...Brown, Childs, Kennell, Kingsby, Henry, Bar...
We can then hope that we get moderate or better contributions out of a couple guys from the group of Boya, Gabriel, Tahvanainen, and Thomas...If that happens, we should be fine...but there are no guarantees in that group...3 incoming freshmen and a guy that looked really, really raw in the limited minutes he got last year.

We'll probably have to go 9 deep early in the year, whether the freshmen are ready for it or not...hopefully a couple of them can hold their own and give us 8-10 decent minutes per game...

LJSites

Post by LJSites » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:38 pm

real fan wrote:
LJSites wrote:
real fan wrote:

Name your 9.

I can't get there without Mast. We 4 known commodities, Kingsby, Boya, and Gabriel. Even then you're relying on more than half of the eligible incoming class contributing in Year 1. That just doesn't happen at our level on a good team very much.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:47 pm

LJSites wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:38 pm
real fan wrote:
LJSites wrote:

Name your 9.

I can't get there without Mast. We 4 known commodities, Kingsby, Boya, and Gabriel. Even then you're relying on more than half of the eligible incoming class contributing in Year 1. That just doesn't happen at our level on a good team very much.
Kingsby, Brown, Childs, Boya, Bar, Gabriel, Henry, Kennell and Thomas. I expect these 9 to contribute something during this season to help us win games. Ville could even chip in something to get it to 10 players.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:10 pm

real fan wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:47 pm
Kingsby, Brown, Childs, Boya, Bar, Gabriel, Henry, Kennell and Thomas. I expect these 9 to contribute something during this season to help us win games. Ville could even chip in something to get it to 10 players.
The key here is how you define "contribute". I'd expect Ville to contribute more than Thomas in year one, but I'd think it would be a minor contribution. If we're lucky enough for Gabriel to log 15 mpg and 7 ppg I'd consider that a big deal.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:00 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:10 pm
real fan wrote:
The key here is how you define "contribute". I'd expect Ville to contribute more than Thomas in year one, but I'd think it would be a minor contribution. If we're lucky enough for Gabriel to log 15 mpg and 7 ppg I'd consider that a big deal.
Gabriel will get a lot more minutes and the last I heard will be in the starting lineup.

Majik45

Post by Majik45 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:57 am

I figure we have 6 guys that will be big contributors and get at least 15-20 per game, Brown, Childs, Kennel, Kingsby, Bar, and Henry. I don't care who the other 2-3 guys are, and can't even speculate who they will be at this point. But of the group of Boya, Gabriel, Ville, and Thomas (or Mast if he's somehow is healthy), we need 2 of them to be able to provide 10-15 minutes of solid production every game.

I mean honestly, who here thought Henry would be such a key contributor to our late season run at this time last summer? Had he even committed to us yet in Mid-July?

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:20 am

It looks like Henry committed on June 2 last year. Bile left on July 9.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:48 pm

real fan wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:00 pm
Braves4Life wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:10 pm
real fan wrote:
Gabriel will get a lot more minutes and the last I heard will be in the starting lineup.
We heard the same about Boya last season and I think most would be happy if he could give us 15 mpg and 7 ppg this season. Even if Gabriel starts out of the gate (which would surprise me) I think 15 mpg and 7 ppg would be an unexpected bonus.