Bradley's depth 19/20 season

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
HoustonBrave
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:50 pm

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by HoustonBrave » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:44 pm

squirrel wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:35 am
Just for reference, here are the minutes played by guys last year, including graduates/transfers:

33.6 D.Brown
29.7 D.Lautier-Ogunleye
29.4 E.Childs
27.8 N.Kennell
18.4 L.Van Bree
18.2 L.Lundy
17.8 K.Bar
12.7 J.Hodgson
12.5 A.Pittman
12.1 J.Henry
7.2 A.Boya
5.8 A.Brummett
2.6 P.Hanley
I think Gabriel and Ville will be good contributors off the bench while Mast recovers and Boya continues to develop. Not sure about Thomas 3-point contribution or the effectiveness of his inside game as a freshman, but I think Ville will be a better 3-point threat than Thomas. It will be very interesting to see the order of contribution of our bench players after the first 5 games or so.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6594
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by real fan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:50 pm

HoustonBrave wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:44 pm
squirrel wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:35 am
Just for reference, here are the minutes played by guys last year, including graduates/transfers:

33.6 D.Brown
29.7 D.Lautier-Ogunleye
29.4 E.Childs
27.8 N.Kennell
18.4 L.Van Bree
18.2 L.Lundy
17.8 K.Bar
12.7 J.Hodgson
12.5 A.Pittman
12.1 J.Henry
7.2 A.Boya
5.8 A.Brummett
2.6 P.Hanley
I think Gabriel and Ville will be good contributors off the bench while Mast recovers and Boya continues to develop. Not sure about Thomas 3-point contribution or the effectiveness of his inside game as a freshman, but I think Ville will be a better 3-point threat than Thomas. It will be very interesting to see the order of contribution of our bench players after the first 5 games or so.
Gabriel will be a starter, Henry will get many minutes. We will be a very good team as long as we stay healthy.

mexicoBUfan
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:57 am

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by mexicoBUfan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:30 am

Gabriel will not start during the first part of the season. He will contribute but he will not start. Can that change as the season goes on, yes but he will need to earn it.

User avatar
SFP
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3756
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by SFP » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:34 am

mexicoBUfan wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:30 am
Gabriel will not start during the first part of the season. He will contribute but he will not start. Can that change as the season goes on, yes but he will need to earn it.
Does Henry start? I liked the way he progressed last year and also brings a certain energy level that cannot be duplicated. Let's face it without DLO we need a person that appears to enjoy and play really good D.

I'm with you, it is hard for any freshman on a decent team unless your a McDonald's type of recruit to start due to defense more than anything else. Let's face it Coach Wardle emphasis D in a major way.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

mexicoBUfan
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:57 am

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by mexicoBUfan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:49 am

DB
DK
KB
EC
NK

JH could push for a starting spot but when you look at our bigs you have to worry about foul trouble. Bringing JH off the bench gives you some protection.

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 21401
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by tribecalledquest » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:41 am

It should be very hard for a freshman to start on a veteran team that expects to compete for a league title.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
BradleyMathGrad
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by BradleyMathGrad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:46 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:41 am
It should be very hard for a freshman to start on a veteran team that expects to compete for a league title.
Hopefully he starts day 1 then. :lol:
Remember that atmosphere when we played against Michigan, having a stretch of play where it actually got loud enough that we forced them to call Timeout.

Let's get back to that.

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 21401
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by tribecalledquest » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:54 am

BradleyMathGrad wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:46 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:41 am
It should be very hard for a freshman to start on a veteran team that expects to compete for a league title.
Hopefully he starts day 1 then. :lol:
My favorite time of the college basketball season is newcomer/freshmen hype season.

Seconded by graduating/transferring players becoming worse the minute they leave the program season. 😀
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

mexicoBUfan
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:57 am

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by mexicoBUfan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:29 am

How about right after a Coach wins the conference tournament for the first time in 31 years. I always look forward to bashing him about that time, priceless! 😛

User avatar
SFP
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3756
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by SFP » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:43 am

mexicoBUfan wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:49 am
DB
DK
KB
EC
NK

JH could push for a starting spot but when you look at our bigs you have to worry about foul trouble. Bringing JH off the bench gives you some protection.
I still say play and start your best players regardless. Wardle tends to substitute players in and out pretty quickly in the first half. I thought NK played better last year coming off the bench and being that true 6th man that could score. Regardless I like Henry's game and he can become a great 2 way player for us.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

User avatar
BradleyMathGrad
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by BradleyMathGrad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:29 am

SFP wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:43 am
mexicoBUfan wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:49 am
DB
DK
KB
EC
NK

JH could push for a starting spot but when you look at our bigs you have to worry about foul trouble. Bringing JH off the bench gives you some protection.
I still say play and start your best players regardless. Wardle tends to substitute players in and out pretty quickly in the first half. I thought NK played better last year coming off the bench and being that true 6th man that could score. Regardless I like Henry's game and he can become a great 2 way player for us.
Start, finish, 6th man...whatever. None of it "really" matters to me because I expect NK, SG and JH to all play and contribute significant minutes next season. The coaches will put them where they want but they are all going to be important pieces. Wardle has always said that it's not about who starts, its about who finishes.
Remember that atmosphere when we played against Michigan, having a stretch of play where it actually got loud enough that we forced them to call Timeout.

Let's get back to that.

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 21401
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by tribecalledquest » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 pm

BradleyMathGrad wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:29 am
SFP wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:43 am
mexicoBUfan wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:49 am
DB
DK
KB
EC
NK

JH could push for a starting spot but when you look at our bigs you have to worry about foul trouble. Bringing JH off the bench gives you some protection.
I still say play and start your best players regardless. Wardle tends to substitute players in and out pretty quickly in the first half. I thought NK played better last year coming off the bench and being that true 6th man that could score. Regardless I like Henry's game and he can become a great 2 way player for us.
Start, finish, 6th man...whatever. None of it "really" matters to me because I expect NK, SG and JH to all play and contribute significant minutes next season. The coaches will put them where they want but they are all going to be important pieces. Wardle has always said that it's not about who starts, its about who finishes.
Every coach who has ever coached has trotted out the “it isn’t who starts, it’s who finishes” line. It’s a part of the class they take on cliches.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
BradleyMathGrad
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by BradleyMathGrad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:37 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 pm
BradleyMathGrad wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:29 am
SFP wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:43 am


I still say play and start your best players regardless. Wardle tends to substitute players in and out pretty quickly in the first half. I thought NK played better last year coming off the bench and being that true 6th man that could score. Regardless I like Henry's game and he can become a great 2 way player for us.
Start, finish, 6th man...whatever. None of it "really" matters to me because I expect NK, SG and JH to all play and contribute significant minutes next season. The coaches will put them where they want but they are all going to be important pieces. Wardle has always said that it's not about who starts, its about who finishes.
Every coach who has ever coached has trotted out the “it isn’t who starts, it’s who finishes” line. It’s a part of the class they take on cliches.
I give this weight though because Nate was 4th in minutes last year (vastly above 5th) and only started a handful of games last season.
Remember that atmosphere when we played against Michigan, having a stretch of play where it actually got loud enough that we forced them to call Timeout.

Let's get back to that.

User avatar
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 9139
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: The Gate City
Contact:

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by Braves4Life » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:33 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:41 am
It should be very hard for a freshman to start on a veteran team that expects to compete for a league title.
For reference Hersey Hawkins averaged about 14 ppg and Anthony Parker 11 ppg as freshmen on decent teams. If Gabriel comes close to that it will be a good season.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

Image

User avatar
Dallas Brave
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:21 am

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by Dallas Brave » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:14 pm

squirrel wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:35 am
Just for reference, here are the minutes played by guys last year, including graduates/transfers:

33.6 D.Brown
29.7 D.Lautier-Ogunleye
29.4 E.Childs
27.8 N.Kennell
18.4 L.Van Bree
18.2 L.Lundy
17.8 K.Bar
12.7 J.Hodgson
12.5 A.Pittman
12.1 J.Henry
7.2 A.Boya
5.8 A.Brummett
2.6 P.Hanley
It would be interesting to see the minutes per player stats for the second half of the season when the team started winning. Lundy's would be in the mid-20's and Luuk's and Henry's averages would be significantly higher as well. We will only be better this year provided we can upgrade at the DLO, Van Bree and Lundy positions. That is a tall order given how well those 3 played down the stretch. Last year's team went from having bad chemistry to good chemistry. Hopefully the team leaders on this year's team will have their attitudes in the right place at the beginning of the season.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6594
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by real fan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm

mexicoBUfan wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:49 am
DB
DK
KB
EC
NK

JH could push for a starting spot but when you look at our bigs you have to worry about foul trouble. Bringing JH off the bench gives you some protection.
Coach seemed to really like Nate coming off the bench more last season, hard to play all your scorers all at once when you have a tendency to sub a lot during the games. We have a good problem when it appears there are plenty of scorers on this team.I can see why coach wants to push the ball hard up the court.

Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4009
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by Lake Camelot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Deleted answered myself.

User avatar
SFP
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3756
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by SFP » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Ari is still a bit of a mystery to me and hopefully he can be healthy and play significant minutes. Right now because most of the new guys are unknowns, we have 6 strong players. I'm positive one of the new guys will be able to contribute quality minutes and if we get another, we should be in great shape heading into conference play. We have the players that can create matchup problems and if we can play D like last year, we'll be in every game. The plus side is that I believe our O, will be better.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

HoustonBrave
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:50 pm

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by HoustonBrave » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:41 pm

SFP wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:19 pm
Ari is still a bit of a mystery to me and hopefully he can be healthy and play significant minutes. Right now because most of the new guys are unknowns, we have 6 strong players. I'm positive one of the new guys will be able to contribute quality minutes and if we get another, we should be in great shape heading into conference play. We have the players that can create matchup problems and if we can play D like last year, we'll be in every game. The plus side is that I believe our O, will be better.
Every team will play us with great respect and toughness as we are the MVC champs that went to the big dance. So even if our team might seem strong now, our competition will NOT be easy in each game during the season. Case and point is Loyola's 2018 - 19 somewhat disappointing season, compared to Loyala's great success during 2017 -18 season.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6594
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by real fan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:55 pm

SFP wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:19 pm
Ari is still a bit of a mystery to me and hopefully he can be healthy and play significant minutes. Right now because most of the new guys are unknowns, we have 6 strong players. I'm positive one of the new guys will be able to contribute quality minutes and if we get another, we should be in great shape heading into conference play. We have the players that can create matchup problems and if we can play D like last year, we'll be in every game. The plus side is that I believe our O, will be better.
Who do you consider to be the 6 strong players? I see more then 6.

User avatar
SFP
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3756
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by SFP » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:37 pm

real fan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:55 pm
SFP wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:19 pm
Ari is still a bit of a mystery to me and hopefully he can be healthy and play significant minutes. Right now because most of the new guys are unknowns, we have 6 strong players. I'm positive one of the new guys will be able to contribute quality minutes and if we get another, we should be in great shape heading into conference play. We have the players that can create matchup problems and if we can play D like last year, we'll be in every game. The plus side is that I believe our O, will be better.
Who do you consider to be the 6 strong players? I see more then 6.
DB
DK
KB
EC
NK
JH

Ari to me is still unknown. I've learned not to give freshman too much stock. Who do you see? Gabriel could be one of those freshman that steps up. Who else do you have?
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

real fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6594
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by real fan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 pm

SFP wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:37 pm
real fan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:55 pm
SFP wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:19 pm
Ari is still a bit of a mystery to me and hopefully he can be healthy and play significant minutes. Right now because most of the new guys are unknowns, we have 6 strong players. I'm positive one of the new guys will be able to contribute quality minutes and if we get another, we should be in great shape heading into conference play. We have the players that can create matchup problems and if we can play D like last year, we'll be in every game. The plus side is that I believe our O, will be better.
Who do you consider to be the 6 strong players? I see more then 6.
DB
DK
KB
EC
NK
JH

Ari to me is still unknown. I've learned not to give freshman too much stock. Who do you see? Gabriel could be one of those freshman that steps up. Who else do you have?
I will add Gabriel and Boya if healthy.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests