Bradley's depth 19/20 season

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by tribecalledquest » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:08 am

BigB wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:56 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:18 am
How bad a coach must he have been...
As noted elsewhere, his total record in seasons that he was allowed by administration to CHOOSE HIS OWN STAFF
was a very respectable 102-71
and after rebuilding, he held his own against the rest of the MVC (40-32) until that same admin started meddling with his staff and his recruiting.
But in the seasons following, we saw exactly what he was dealing with - when the next several years after his departure, we had historic, record-breaking bad seasons and massive 50-point losses.
BU fans have suffered enough due to the stupid decisions the admin made, but if it makes you feel good, keep blaming the coach and the AD who have since shown they are proven winners and have won COY & AD of the Year awards.
Maybe Bradley shoulda hired your guy who hops from scandal to scandal, gets show-cause penalties and ruins reputations everywhere he goes.
As Bill Parcells said “you are what your record says you are.” I’m not going to relitigate stuff from ten years ago. Good grief. Move on.

The coach mentioned here eventually got fired because his record wasn’t good enough. That’s a fact. The coach following him did even worse and subsequently got fired because his record wasn’t good enough. That’s a fact. The current coach has things on an upward trajectory that we hope continues. No one said anything about the ADs. This has been a basketball and basketball coaches topic.

This isn’t the message board to talk about conspiracy theories, perceived slights and made up stories from almost a decade ago. This isn’t the InfoWars of Bradley Basketball information.

But on your very last point. Bradley actually did hire “my guy” and that is the current coach. I wanted him from the beginning and was happy as hell when he got the job. So, pardon me while I pat myself on the back and take full credit. You’re welcome Chris Reynolds.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:45 am

Now. As it relates to the depth of the current Bradley team and not some team from eleven years ago.....

Bradley has two first team all league level guys in Brown and Childs. It also has some nice complimentary pieces. That kind of roster should and will compete for an MVC Title. I don’t care as much about depth as I do health.

Bradley has 8-9 guys that can play minutes. That’s all you need. The heavy lifting will be done by a select few.
~Thomas Jefferson

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:59 am

Didn’t know Joanne was the president at UC Davis. 120 - 135, 0.471

MOVE ON!

HoustonBrave
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by HoustonBrave » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:00 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:45 am
Now. As it relates to the depth of the current Bradley team and not some team from eleven years ago.....

Bradley has two first team all league level guys in Brown and Childs. It also has some nice complimentary pieces. That kind of roster should and will compete for an MVC Title. I don’t care as much about depth as I do health.

Bradley has 8-9 guys that can play minutes. That’s all you need. The heavy lifting will be done by a select few.
Instead of the heavy lifting done by a select few, we would be a much more successful side if the wealth of double-digit scoring per game is shared by at least 3 players per game on consistent basis. Deep teams which cause great difficulty to their opponents have at least 3 players scoring in double digits each game. In fact when "quality future recruits" see that happening in a potential future basketball program of interest, they much prefer it over a program that mostly relies on 2 players scoring in double-digits during games. Depth means sharing the wealth of double-digit scoring per game among at least 3 players. Consistently successful teams like Wichita State and Creighton were only able to dominate the MVC via deep teams.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:38 pm

HoustonBrave wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:00 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:

Instead of the heavy lifting done by a select few, we would be a much more successful side if the wealth of double-digit scoring per game is shared by at least 3 players per game on consistent basis. Deep teams which cause great difficulty to their opponents have at least 3 players scoring in double digits each game. In fact when "quality future recruits" see that happening in a potential future basketball program of interest, they much prefer it over a program that mostly relies on 2 players scoring in double-digits during games. Depth means sharing the wealth of double-digit scoring per game among at least 3 players. Consistently successful teams like Wichita State and Creighton were only able to dominate the MVC via deep teams.
There are some NBA players from Creighton and Wichita who would tell you having a couple studs really helps.

Elite players win games in a sport where only five play at a time.
~Thomas Jefferson

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:49 pm

Tribe is right. Go back and look at all of the great Bradley teams of the past 40 years and you’ll see that they all had at least one elite player, usually two — JJ Anderson, Thirdkill, Hawkins, Les, Massive Mike, Anthony Parker, Dye, POB, Sommerville... and a few others that I missed.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:10 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:49 pm
Tribe is right. Go back and look at all of the great Bradley teams of the past 40 years and you’ll see that they all had at least one elite player, usually two — JJ Anderson, Thirdkill, Hawkins, Les, Massive Mike, Anthony Parker, Dye, POB, Sommerville... and a few others that I missed.
I'm 100% in agreement. I believe EC has the potential and we'll see if he is that elite player shortly. He has the skill and the instincts to be that player. There's a very big difference between under and upperclassmen. This is when boys become men. If DB plays within a team concept and limits his TOs we'll be really hard to beat and should be contending for the Valley title. Can we be a great team? We'll find out. I have an opinion that I'll keep to myself. I've been known to drink the kool aid in the past but find myself as I get older to try and be realistic.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

HoustonBrave
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by HoustonBrave » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:53 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:38 pm
HoustonBrave wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

There are some NBA players from Creighton and Wichita who would tell you having a couple studs really helps.

I agree with you that having couple of super elite players is very healthy. But also having at least any 3 players score in double-digits consistently is much better than relying on the same 2 most elite players on your team each game. Depth means multiple weapons that you could hurt your opponents with depending on each game's player match-ups. For example, the team that won the NIT in 81/82 had JJ Anderson, Donald Reese, David Thirdkill, Barney Mines, Willie Scott and Voise Winters who were ALL inter-changeable double digit weapons at each game (depending on the opponent's match-up), but the first 3 players mentioned were consistently scoring in double-digits at each game. All I am sating is that we can not only depend on EC and DB to average in double-digits, we will PREFERABLY need at least ANY 3 players to show up each game and score in double-digits. Having said all that, it is expected that DB and EC will lead the scoring of the team after the first 6 or 7 games.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:24 pm

HoustonBrave wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:53 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
HoustonBrave wrote:

I agree with you that having couple of super elite players is very healthy. But also having at least any 3 players score in double-digits consistently is much better than relying on the same 2 most elite players on your team each game. Depth means multiple weapons that you could hurt your opponents with depending on each game's player match-ups. For example, the team that won the NIT in 81/82 had JJ Anderson, Donald Reese, David Thirdkill, Barney Mines, Willie Scott and Voise Winters who were ALL inter-changeable double digit weapons at each game (depending on the opponent's match-up), but the first 3 players mentioned were consistently scoring in double-digits at each game. All I am sating is that we can not only depend on EC and DB to average in double-digits, we will PREFERABLY need at least ANY 3 players to show up each game and score in double-digits. Having said all that, it is expected that DB and EC will lead the scoring of the team after the first 6 or 7 games.
The supporting cast is very important in making your top 2 or 3 players great as they have to be capable of passing and scoring the ball.It takes a complete team to win championships. Creighton and Wichita both had great supporting casts to go along with their super stars.

HoustonBrave
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by HoustonBrave » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:53 pm

real fan wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:24 pm
HoustonBrave wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:53 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:

The supporting cast is very important in making your top 2 or 3 players great as they have to be capable of passing and scoring the ball.It takes a complete team to win championships. Creighton and Wichita both had great supporting casts to go along with their super stars.
Well said real fan!