Bradley @ Memphis

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Bradley @ Memphis

Post by squirrel » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:25 am

A chance to get respect on national TV tomorrow night. . .

Commercial Appeal 3 Things to Keep an Eye On
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 346755002/

ESPN Game Summary (matchup preview)
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... =401169455
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

PH
All World
All World

Re: Bradley @ Memphis

Post by PH » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:54 pm

Good article by Dave about DB’s relationship with Penny:

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:07 pm

Nice blurb in The Athletic today about the Penny-Brown relationship as well.

I'm banking on an aggressive Darrell coming out gunning like he did against K-State, the rest of the team following suit, and a jetlagged and hungover Memphis team struggling to match our intensity.

Bradley 70
Memphis 65
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:12 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:07 pm
Nice blurb in The Athletic today about the Penny-Brown relationship as well.

I'm banking on an aggressive Darrell coming out gunning like he did against K-State, the rest of the team following suit, and a jetlagged and hungover Memphis team struggling to match our intensity.

Bradley 70
Memphis 65
Nice dream, sure Memphis will get the home town calls in this and win 78-62. Hope to be wrong . We have to make at least 12 3 pointers to stay close and get offensive production from everybody that plays in this game.

spoon
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by spoon » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:20 pm

Trying to look at this game from all angles, but really not seeing anything that tells me we are going to win this game, or even keep it close.

Memphis - 84
Bradley - 59

Dallas Brave
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Dallas Brave » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:58 pm

I hope they send the same squad that suited up for the Kansas State game and not the bunch of clowns that got traumatized by Northwestern!

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Chances are we'll just be out gunned. Defensively we'll keep it respectable but we'll not be able to score enough points to pull it off. This will be a good game for Memphis on things they'll need to work on from the offensive side of the ball to take their game to the next level. Now if someone besides EC or DB has a career game then anything is possible.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:58 pm

Line opens Memphis -12 with an o/u of 150.0 but that has already moved to 149.5.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:43 pm

squirrel wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:58 pm
Line opens Memphis -12 with an o/u of 150.0 but that has already moved to 149.5.
I'd take the under if I was a betting guy. 80 - 70 score seems fairly high.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:44 am

This line is fascinating to watch. . .overnight, the o/u moved to 147 at one site, and another site where it had moved to 147.5 jumped back to 149.5.

The teams combine, on average, for 157 points on offense, but on defense, they combine for 125.

Memphis alone for/against averages 153, and Bradley is 136.

I tend to think this style of game and matchup will allow Bradley to get better flow than several of their more recent games, and that the o/u is low.

But I rarely play the o/u unless it's too good to be true.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:27 am

squirrel wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:44 am
I tend to think this style of game and matchup will allow Bradley to get better flow than several of their more recent games, and that the o/u is low.
If Memphis hits their average and blows us out then the score will likely be under the spread. If Bradley "uglys" the game up with defense the score should stay under the spread. If Bradley keeps it close in an uptempo game then the score goes over. I'm not betting but I'd bet the under.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

JeffR16

Post by JeffR16 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:04 am

Is anybody from here going to the game tonight? Is there a pregame party/meet up like there was in Des Moines? I’m headed down with a buddy and we’re trying to figure out what to do before the game tonight.

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:20 am

BU by 4. Unless I can find a live crab by 6 PM, then BU by 13.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:21 am

JMM28 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:20 am
Paging real fan, paging real fan. . . :lol:

CHUCKYT'S
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by CHUCKYT'S » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:06 pm

Did anyone else raise an eyebrow when reading about Penny's recruiting prowess? He must be one heck of a recruiter if he got the projected #1 pick in the NBA draft, (after paying $11,500 to help him move to Memphis and play for him in H.S.) got Achiwa to come to Memphis over offers from N. Carolina and Kansas, got Ellis to de-commit from Duke and Jeffries de-committed from Kentucky.

It's not like these kids were turning down offers from middle of the road high majors. They all turned down or left arguably the top four programs in college basketball to come play for a 2nd year coach at a university that has only had mild success in the past few years. I know that there are multiple reasons why kids move around or change their minds but this seems a little far fetched to me.

No matter, the Braves will have their hands full tonight. I hope they can keep it within 15 points or so. I'll be very encouraged if they do any better than that. GO BU!

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:27 pm

CHUCKYT'S wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:06 pm
Did anyone else raise an eyebrow when reading about Penny's recruiting prowess? He must be one heck of a recruiter if he got the projected #1 pick in the NBA draft, (after paying $11,500 to help him move to Memphis and play for him in H.S.) got Achiwa to come to Memphis over offers from N. Carolina and Kansas, got Ellis to de-commit from Duke and Jeffries de-committed from Kentucky.

It's not like these kids were turning down offers from middle of the road high majors. They all turned down or left arguably the top four programs in college basketball to come play for a 2nd year coach at a university that has only had mild success in the past few years. I know that there are multiple reasons why kids move around or change their minds but this seems a little far fetched to me.

No matter, the Braves will have their hands full tonight. I hope they can keep it within 15 points or so. I'll be very encouraged if they do any better than that. GO BU!
It's always funny when a new guy on the block comes around and starts getting really good players. The insinuation of cheating is there right from the start. Is there some truth to it? Surely. But that assumes that only the NEW guys are cheating and the blue bloods aren't.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:02 pm

CHUCKYT'S wrote:

It could also just be the same thing that happened with the Fab 5 years ago at Michigan where the kids started openly recruiting their buddies. Same thing happened last year at Duke with Zion and Company. Young kids are watching the Lebrons of the world put together "Super Teams" so it's now the cool thing to do. Throw a few "Pennys" (pun intended) into the mix and you get Memphis.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:21 pm

CHUCKYT'S wrote:

Penny Hardaway is an NBA All Star, grew up a lot like these kids he’s recruiting, coached in high school and the AAU circuit for quite a few years. He knows how the game works, didn’t you ever watch Blue Chips? :lol:
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm

squirrel wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:21 am
JMM28 wrote:
Had my pager off , what is it that you want :?:

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:00 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:02 pm
CHUCKYT'S wrote:

It could also just be the same thing that happened with the Fab 5 years ago at Michigan where the kids started openly recruiting their buddies. Same thing happened last year at Duke with Zion and Company. Young kids are watching the Lebrons of the world put together "Super Teams" so it's now the cool thing to do. Throw a few "Pennys" (pun intended) into the mix and you get Memphis.
But they also cheated at Michigan too so I fail to grasp your point here :lol:
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:02 pm

squirrel wrote:
JMM28 wrote:
I'll say it for him. If Bradley even kept this within single digits I'll be shocked.

Two losses on the docket, both to obviously bad teams and people think they're gonna hang with Memphis.

I love the enthusiasm and stranger things have already happened this year, but c'mon guys.

Put that booze enriched coffee down!
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:17 pm

real fan wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm
squirrel wrote:
JMM28 wrote:
Had my pager off , what is it that you want :?:
He was looking for a live crab.

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:56 pm

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:02 pm
squirrel wrote:
JMM28 wrote:
I'll say it for him. If Bradley even kept this within single digits I'll be shocked.

Two losses on the docket, both to obviously bad teams and people think they're gonna hang with Memphis.

I love the enthusiasm and stranger things have already happened this year, but c'mon guys.

Put that booze enriched coffee down!
Hanging and winning are two different things. I just do not believe it will be a blow out by any stretch. I'm going to guess is that we'll not be able to score enough. We'll score maximum 65 points. If for any reason Memphis is struggling (we do play pretty good D) and hold them down, we may have a puncher's chance. I predict we'll lose by a score of 61 - 73 or thereabouts. This is one game where we'll need to control the tempo to a slower game. Hopefully Memphis is a bit tired from their road trip. Go Braves!

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Watching the Vermont/Cincy game awaiting for BU. Last minute had been to the monitor twice, fouls and timeouts for 10 minutes.
go cubs go!

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:11 pm

Darrell is really struggling at the line this year.