Pandemic thread

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
chitown fanatic
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: Pandemic thread

Post by chitown fanatic »

August and September may very well become the most active sports period in US history
Tornadouche is a tool

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

chitown fanatic wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:33 pm
August and September may very well become the most active sports period in US history
Oh absolutely. The PGA Championship or U.S. Open in golf may potentially get moved to those months. The French Open tennis tournament has already announced they'll move to September.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave »

JMM28 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:06 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:54 pm
I don't know how other people feel about this but I saw the Cruise Line industry is concerned they won't be able to take advantage of the stimulus package and loans because they are registered off shore. IMO, too **** bad. You did that intentionally to avoid paying taxes. You shouldn't get any help from the government then.
Yeah I laughed at that. If there’s a less sympathetic industry than airlines, it is the cruise lines.
Avoiding US taxes for that long (smart) should make it easy to ride out this blip in the economic radar, right?
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

ER3
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by ER3 »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:54 pm
I don't know how other people feel about this but I saw the Cruise Line industry is concerned they won't be able to take advantage of the stimulus package and loans because they are registered off shore. IMO, too **** bad. You did that intentionally to avoid paying taxes. You shouldn't get any help from the government then.
@@@@@ the cruise lines. If they want to register as if they are companies in the Bahamas, Malta, and Panama so they can avoid US taxes and US labor and safety laws...OK, go ahead...but don't come begging the US for financial help when you need it...give Malta a call and see what they can do for you.

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 »

Agree on the tax sheltering argument. Even beyond that, cruises are not a critical function to keep the economy out of depression. Airlines, more of a gray area. Some of the heavily hit service industries, that employ lower income workers and are closing for the public good (coerced or not), I think the government needs to step in with help.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave »

dss03 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:16 pm
Agree on the tax sheltering argument. Even beyond that, cruises are not a critical function to keep the economy out of depression. Airlines, more of a gray area. Some of the heavily hit service industries, that employ lower income workers and are closing for the public good (coerced or not), I think the government needs to step in with help.
I don’t know the %’s but I would be willing to wager a majority of air travel and air travel revenue is from the business traveler. No one getting status on an airline or at a hotel is getting it because they’re always on vacation.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

dss03 wrote:
Hell something we all can agree on! :td

On the airline status. Some airlines and hotels are already planning on how to deal with their loyalty programs. To me if United does not help out (they changed their program this year) I'll consider switching my allegiance. I can tell you the grocery store I usually go to sent us an email saying they do not have sales because they are low on stock. ^^ they have everything at full price and are are making a huge profit. I'm going to move my loyalty from them to another grocery store.

On the news. I'm strictly reading the online NY Times and scientific journals for my news. I want facts and not opinions. The Bill that is going through is being spinned by both parties that you wonder if they are the same bill. BTW - That bill does not help me in any way so both parties $uck!
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

[quote=SFP post_id=1551697 time=1585260626 . BTW - That bill does not help me in any way so both parties $uck!
[/quote]

Not even indirectly? No idea what business you are in. I downloaded it and read it..over 800 pages. About 3 of them were interesting.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

jim beam wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:33 pm
[quote=SFP post_id=1551697 time=1585260626 . BTW - That bill does not help me in any way so both parties $uck!

Not even indirectly? No idea what business you are in. I downloaded it and read it..over 800 pages. About 3 of them were interesting.
[/quote]

There are provisions that are good and needed. I'm being selfish and saying I'm not getting a penny. I do believe that the working poor need help and that we do not need to go down the same rabbit hole we went down in 2008. F the Cruise ships IMO. Help Main Street and make sure Wall Street has enough resources to keep their machinery working but not a dollar more. Should be that simple.
~Thomas Jefferson

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

BradleyBrave wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:30 pm
dss03 wrote:
I don’t know the %’s but I would be willing to wager a majority of air travel and air travel revenue is from the business traveler. No one getting status on an airline or at a hotel is getting it because they’re always on vacation.
Bingo
Peace, Love & Loud Guitars

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 »

BradleyBrave wrote:
dss03 wrote:
We need airlines, yeah. Senators standing up for Boeing, and then worrying that individuals might get too comfortable with their checks annoys me though. People leaching on welfare is a real thing, but Boeing as a corporate entity leaches for welfare too. Still, you are right we need an airline industry and it’s going to be a long time before companies fly people around for anything but the most urgent reasons, so it’s a dilemma.
Last edited by dss03 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave »

;)
dss03 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:08 pm
BradleyBrave wrote:
dss03 wrote:
We need airlines, yeah. Senators standing up for Boeing and then worrying that individuals might get too comfortable with their checks annoys me though.
We need airlines. We don’t need Boeing. Boeing can go F itself. Murderous business *** don’t deserve a bailout...again.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

SFP wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:10 pm
I can tell you the grocery store I usually go to sent us an email saying they do not have sales because they are low on stock. ^^ they have everything at full price and are are making a huge profit. I'm going to move my loyalty from them to another grocery store.
While I understand the tough times we are in, isn't their doing this pretty much the whole basis behind supply and demand in economics?

BUFanatic
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Post by BUFanatic »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:21 pm
SFP wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:10 pm
I can tell you the grocery store I usually go to sent us an email saying they do not have sales because they are low on stock. ^^ they have everything at full price and are are making a huge profit. I'm going to move my loyalty from them to another grocery store.
While I understand the tough times we are in, isn't their doing this pretty much the whole basis behind supply and demand in economics?
Yessir. That’s why I assume gas in the Heights is $1.83/gallon right now. Low demand and high supply.

My local stores still have sales they just don’t have sales in particular items (for good reason). For example when this started I was at my local Kroger and they had just reduced ground beef prices (as they normally do) to $2.88/lb and $6.85 3lb. Logs. I chuckled to myself as I thought “this will all be gone tomorrow”. I returned the next day and lo and behold, no more ground beef! The next re-stock they returned prices to normal. I went back the next day and still they sold out in less than 24 hours WITH the limitations per person.
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave »

Birx about to get on the naughty list for calling out the doomsday models as garbage and subtly but clearly trashing the media for their fear mongering with their ‘do not resuscitate’ campaign today.

I like her.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

When people complain about the “media” who in particular are they talking about? I mean this sincerely. Maybe I consume my news differently and have an overall different opinion about the industry in general.
~Thomas Jefferson

BUFanatic

Post by BUFanatic »

I think “the media” refers to the “doom & gloom” worst case scenario crowd. Those that refuse to report (or at least downplays) anything good happening (Corona or otherwise) if said good thing has an (R) behind their name.

I call any sort of Sensationalist “journalism” this. Unfortunately this “Sensationalism” style has taken over what journalism used to be as dying methods of communication (such as newspapers and the radio) need to continue to bring in the money to stay afloat. Same can be said for the 24 hour cable news networks that need to give people a reason to watch. Whether the issue is as big of a deal as they are making it out to be or not. This is why the misnomer of “Breaking News” has lost its meaning. Since 9/11 in my lifetime there have probably only been a few dozen instances where “Breaking News” should have actually been used (I.e. Teresa May being ousted, GB leaving the EU, deaths of Presidents, etc).
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

At whatever point the 24 hour cable company wars started, they realized they needed product to sell. They chose their lanes and sell to their audiences - breaking news for hours on end. Add in the constant debate opinion shows and the line between news/journalism/opinion gets really blurred.

It trickles down to local TV - gotcha stories, “SNOWMAGEDDON” every single weekend, etc. They want product that keeps eyeballs coming back - no matter what. It’s a business.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

JMM28 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:12 pm
At whatever point the 24 hour cable company wars started, they realized they needed product to sell. They chose their lanes and sell to their audiences - breaking news for hours on end. Add in the constant debate opinion shows and the line between news/journalism/opinion gets really blurred.

It trickles down to local TV - gotcha stories, “SNOWMAGEDDON” every single weekend, etc. They want product that keeps eyeballs coming back - no matter what. It’s a business.
I get it. I know I’m going to be considered elitist but I don’t really count TV News as “news”. I see it as entertainment with a side of news. I think there are probably some real journalists in the TV world - but it’s not what sells.
~Thomas Jefferson

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

As it relates to the national numbers NYC is a disaster. And rightly or wrongly what happens there drives the national narrative. Over 50% of the cases in the US are in New York State. That’s amazing. There are certain places where this thing is a ***. NYC being one of them.

That said, We really should look at this as NY/NYC/Jersey area and then the rest of the country. We shouldn’t loosen up social distancing policies until those places see a solid flattening of the curve but it’s not as dire in other parts of the country. The US is such a unique place you can’t lump it into one.
~Thomas Jefferson

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Nestle announced earlier today that they will pay their workers full pay for 3 months if Covid-19 forces their facility to close. They also will temporarily raise wages by $3/hr for on-duty factory and distribution center workers in Canada, retroactive to March 16. They will also pay bonuses to employees of their Canadian factories that cannot work from home, and salaries for up to eight weeks to those in retail operations in Canada.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:29 pm
Nestle announced earlier today that they will pay their workers full pay for 3 months if Covid-19 forces their facility to close. They also will temporarily raise wages by $3/hr for on-duty factory and distribution center workers in Canada, retroactive to March 16. They will also pay bonuses to employees of their Canadian factories that cannot work from home, and salaries for up to eight weeks to those in retail operations in Canada.
That’s fantastic.
~Thomas Jefferson

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Lowe’s hiring 30,000 and giving $80MM in bonuses to employees. Also giving 4 weeks paid leave to high risk employees.

I am glad these mega companies are doing things like this. I manage a business with 14 FTE. With such limited resources we have split into 2 groups and are rotating weeks so employees are getting a week off paid. If this persists it will become 2 weeks and so on.

https://www.sj-r.com/zz/news/20200326/l ... oronavirus
Peace, Love & Loud Guitars

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

illini25 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:02 am
Lowe’s hiring 30,000 and giving $80MM in bonuses to employees. Also giving 4 weeks paid leave to high risk employees.

I am glad these mega companies are doing things like this. I manage a business with 14 FTE. With such limited resources we have split into 2 groups and are rotating weeks so employees are getting a week off paid. If this persists it will become 2 weeks and so on.

https://www.sj-r.com/zz/news/20200326/l ... oronavirus
That’s really cool of you and your company.
~Thomas Jefferson

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:29 pm
The Stimulus Bill provides funds for companies to do just this
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!