OT Pandemic Diversion

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Re: OT Pandemic Diversion

Post by illini25 »

Cappy wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:20 am
i can get lost in youtube just watching vids about songs and the stories behind them. Interesting and thank you.

Channel surfing with wifey a couple of nights ago and hit upon Woodstock: The Director's Cut, and stopped long enough to be tortured by Richie Havens. There's not enough weed, pills or booze in the world to make that guy sound good. Even at a free coffeehouse I'd have to skip out on that act. That was torture, man. If what he was putting out was emblematic of peace, love and freedom, then I'm not a fan of any of that stuff. Give me fear, hate and repression, just not Richie Havens.
Too funny, cappy.
I’m with you on YouTube and the behind the story type videos. I subscribe to Professor of Rock YouTube channel. Some really good stories and interviews there if you’re into late 70s/80s music.
Get a shot of rhythm and blues
With just a little rock and roll on the side

SS01
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by SS01 »

Cappy wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:20 am
i can get lost in youtube just watching vids about songs and the stories behind them. Interesting and thank you.

Channel surfing with wifey a couple of nights ago and hit upon Woodstock: The Director's Cut, and stopped long enough to be tortured by Richie Havens. There's not enough weed, pills or booze in the world to make that guy sound good. Even at a free coffeehouse I'd have to skip out on that act. That was torture, man. If what he was putting out was emblematic of peace, love and freedom, then I'm not a fan of any of that stuff. Give me fear, hate and repression, just not Richie Havens.
How 'bout the mass skinny dipping?

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

SS01

Post by SS01 »

Cappy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:13 am
Unrelated to your post SS, but I recently saw a hilarious YouTube video of a guy named al kooper, who played the Hammond b3 organ on Dylan's like a rolling stone. He wasn't even supposed to be there and just insinuated himself into the session.
Is this the video you're referring to? Great story.

SS01

Post by SS01 »

Spring ’65, Dylan was seriously considering quitting the music business-unhappy with the public’s expectations of him (as spokesperson to further the Folk Music tradition of social and political activism as exemplified by what he called his “finger-pointin’ songs”), and the direction his career was taking. The song grew out of an extended piece of verse. Dylan: “But ‘Like a Rolling Stone’ changed it all. I mean it was something that I myself could dig. It’s very tiring having other people tell you how much they dig you if you yourself don’t dig you.”

Like a Rolling Stone w/Al Kooper’s (accidental) iconic organ riff; recorded June, ’65.

Bob Dylan-vocals, electric guitar, harmonica-beginning of his transition from acoustic to electric; which was met with outrage later at the Newport Jazz Festival.
Mike Bloomfield (Paul Butterfield Blues Band)-electric guitar; the guy Al Kooper talked about who ended his plan to play guitar.
Bruce Langhorne-tambourine
Al Kooper-Hammond organ
Paul Griffin-tack piano: altered version of regular piano; thumbtacks or nails are placed on the felt-padded hammers where they hit the strings; makes a more tinny, percussive sound; emulates a honky-tonk piano.
Joe Macho, Jr.-bass
Bobby Gregg-drums

Dylan-#1 Rolling Stone Mag 100 Greatest Songwriters. When asked what a certain lyric meant, he would often reply, “I don’t know, what does it mean to you?”
Like a Rolling Stone-#1 Rolling Stone Mag 500 Greatest Songs. At an auction in 2014, Dylan’s handwritten lyrics went for $2M.
Highway 61 Revisited-#4 Rolling Stone Mag 500 Greatest Albums (#1 Sgt. Pepper-Beatles, #2 Pet Sounds-Beach Boys, #3 Revolver-Beatles).

Cappy
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cappy »

Oh yeah that's a good story. Neither one of those guys were plowing their money back into their wardrobe. Al's shirt looks like it has bird doo doo on it and Dylan's, well, it was the sixties, after all. Some people who came out of that Greenwich village folk scene who had pop success were.john Denver, john Sebastian and Melissa Manchester. That was really about the turning point, the mid sixties, when everything started to change, and that Perry como\ pat Boone toe-the-line conventionality started to wither and the new artists broke free of that mold and really, really started to flower,creatively. Funny yeah that Dylan's fans hated it when he plugged in and hard to understand now. I was never that much of a Dylan fan but I have a 28 year old son who is mad for him. Truly a lion of the American music scene. With all the football on tv this afternoon, it makes me feel this thread might have to go bye bye. I've got Iowa State and Louisiana on now, my wife left me staring at the tv and went out shopping, and for the first time in months, life seems normal.

Cappy
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cappy »

Oh and I'm drinking a Dr Pepper

Cappy
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cappy »

Sorry, maria muldaur, not Melissa Manchester. If you consider one big hit.......midnight at the oasis........as a pop success. It just that the worlds were so disparate that its amazing anyone could transition from one to the other. I'm not sure, but I think john Phillips might've been part of the folk scene, too. And peter paul and mary. I just know that whole scene was a real Bridge from old post wwII cold war era America to summer of love psychedelic America. new york city was still the home of much network tv programming but everything it seems was sliding to the west coast. Dylan was at the eye of the storm and my son informs me that he is still making music. Who knows in what format? I don't presume to understand much of anything these days but I know artists don't issue albums anymore. But he's gotta be 80 or thereabouts.

SS01

Post by SS01 »

Remembering B.B. King on what would have been his 95th birthday-Sept. 16, 1925. One of the pioneers of the electric blues sound; combined country blues with electrified urban rhythms; credited for expanding the audience for the blues; his left-hand technique is called “string bending”, a Blues solo technique later adopted by rock musicians in the ‘60s. Cited as influences: Robert Johnson, Sonny Boy Williamson, T-Bone Walker, Muddy Waters, among others. Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy cited him as a major influence on their music.

15 Grammy Awards-1970 Grammy for “The Thrill Is Gone”, Lifetime Achievement Award.
Inducted into Blues HOF-1980; Rock and Roll HOF-1987; National Rhythm and Blues HOF-2014.

Hits include: The Thrill Is Gone, 3 o’clock Blues, Sweet Sixteen, Sweet Little Angel, How Blue Can You Get, Every Day I Have The Blues, Why I Sing The Blues.

SS01

Post by SS01 »

Classic Blues techniques: string-bending, “stop-time”; piano-rolling, tinkling.

I Believe to My Soul

Sweet Sixteen

How Blue Can You Get

To be continued...

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Anthony Gomes in person is a ******* show. Here’s his tribute to BB King.

Get a shot of rhythm and blues
With just a little rock and roll on the side

SS01

Post by SS01 »

This acoustic rendition is terrific. Hard to believe a Canadian could capture this sound. This is pure Delta Blues. I can hear Robert Johnson, Son House, Howlin’ Wolf in his licks and phrasing.

SS01

Post by SS01 »

illini25 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:40 pm
Anthony Gomes in person is a ******* show. Here’s his tribute to BB King.

Looking at this a little more closely, I caught a couple things I can’t believe I missed the first time. At the end, emulating one of BBs signature poses, extending both arms out up over his head; and opening his case and lifting out “Lucille”. It really was a thoughtful tribute.

“Lucille” is another story altogether. BB named all his guitars “Lucille”. As B.B. tells it-he was playing a dance hall in the early 50s, two men got into a fight and knocked over a kerosene stove. A fire broke out, and he ran outside. Then he remembered he left his $30 guitar inside, ran back into the burning building and rescued it. Later, he learned the fight had been over a woman named Lucille. He said he did it to be a reminder to never do anything that stupid again.

SS01

Post by SS01 »

Nobody Loves Me But My Mother and 3’oclock Blues: Gospel-influenced organ chord progressions.

Stormy Monday-a blues standard written and recorded by T-Bone Walker in 1947. BB: “I’d never heard anything like that before: single-string Blues played on an electric guitar. When I heard T-Bone Walker play the electric guitar, I had to have one.”
Killer piano riffs, all the classic Blues flags.

Cappy
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cappy »

Talk about art imitating life: B B had 15 kids by 15 different women. That give ME the blues.

SS01

Post by SS01 »

"BB King's Estate War: 15 Kids, 15 Moms, and a 'Totally Haywire' Fight"
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... -15-897351
BB always readily accepted paternity, and was always generous to his children throughout their lives.